Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me in the direction of some tube pre-amps.. discontinued models are fine, new models are fine. I just need some ideas. As of right now.. I thinking of going back with a digitech 2112, or 2120. Is there anything else?? effects (distortion is) are not really a concern but tubes are :)

EDIT: forgt to mention.. I need rackmount as well.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Some people like these, but it will cost you:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Mesa_Boogie/TriAxis-01.html
I love tubes as well, but as a preamp only, i'm not convinced it's better than an amp or modeler. Most tube tone comes from the power amp section. But check Harmony Central's reviews as a start, then let your ears decide. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3fingers said:
Some people like these, but it will cost you:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Mesa_Boogie/TriAxis-01.html
I love tubes as well, but as a preamp only, i'm not convinced it's better than an amp or modeler. Most tube tone comes from the power amp section. But check Harmony Central's reviews as a start, then let your ears decide. Good luck with your search.

If you dont mind me asking.. what type of setup do you run (if you run a poweramp and preamp?)

I have always used the same poweramp for as long as I can remember and preamp-s and amps have always changed. My power amp is not a tube power amp, but I have used tube preamps and solidstate (i guess that is what it is called), the tube setup always sounded better imo, I could not crank the poweramp up to 10 and it still sound as well.. but it sounded awesome and loud on 3-4.

Im sure a tube power amp will be in my future though, I just want to make sure I do my homework, I will be buying older equipment Im sure so I will not get a chance to really try before I buy anything.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Trey, i experimented with racks as well in the 80's...the only thing I kept was the rack case. For me, I had to go back to the basics. I found all the tone I could want in an old Fender Princeton Reverb and a 74 Marshall 100 JMP. I use an old Maestro echoplex and a Boss OD-1. That's it. If I play out, the Fender is the way to go. If I need tonal variety, I have learned how to use my guitar volume control and the OD-1 together. And lets not forget the moddeling stuff. I was completely against even hearing one until, well...I actually heard one...:) from some of the guys here. Listen to Wha-wha's stuff and tell me how close it sounds to a tube amp. I would say 80% of what I do here has been with the POD XT and it's very convincing. Equally so was the Behringer v-amp2 I had to sell with a guitar to make the sale (but I loved it) and it comes as a rack mountable unit and you could still use your power amp. Absolutely lots out there to choose from, but that's half the fun. Enjoy your search. :thumbup:

G

·
Hi Trey,

What are using it for, is the first question that comes to mind? Most of the guys on here seem really pleased with the results from various PODs and their clones(I'm not a huge fan but its horses for courses). If you are looking at a live rig, I'd suggest a 50W tube amp is all the power you need, then you can really crank it, and rely on your pre-amp to get your flexibilty, clean, crunch, lead, fx etc. Having heard a lot of modelling amps & transistor amps live they lack that real responsiveness, I would definitely go for pairing one with a Tube power stage. Good thing to keep in mind, how in vogue is a peice of equipment, you can probably pick up good older rack pre-amps cheaper than the modelling amps or multi channel heads. A lot of it comes down to time spent programming the sounds though, I have a friends who all have Marshall JMP-1's with 50W EL34 power amps, one of the guys gets awesome sounds the others just sound ok and its not just down to the player.

What a rant, sorry probably not so helpful, hope the following list helps.

Marshall JMP-1
Mesa Boogie TriAxis
ADA MP1
Rockman (for that Boston tone)
Rocktron
and of course Digitech which you're already familiar with.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the suggestions... My primary goal will be for a live sound. I am not too interested in buying new items, so my search is on for used equipment. I just want to try out everything I can before making a purchase :)

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
The ADA was one item in my rack at one time...very powerfull tones...not my particular tastes, but in it's day, it was a killer unit...I used a Roland SDE-1000 and a Moog 3 band Parametric to EQ everything. It was a fine product imo..just not cut out for me...check harmonycentral user reviews for more info.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3fingers said:
The ADA was one item in my rack at one time...very powerfull tones...not my particular tastes, but in it's day, it was a killer unit...I used a Roland SDE-1000 and a Moog 3 band Parametric to EQ everything. It was a fine product imo..just not cut out for me...check harmonycentral user reviews for more info.
I've read all the reviews.. I am going with the ADA MP1, only one bad review from some DA that said his triaxis and marshall jcm sounded better.

Now to find the killer deal :toothless

1 - 11 of 11 Posts