Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember a cool tab instructional book from 1973 called "Improvising Rock Guitar" published by Green Note Music? Well, I still have the book but it is missing the instructional record that came with it. The guitarist from the book is Pat Thrall who plays with a 70's mainstream rock style. They actually filmed him and transcribed his exact playing.

Does anyone have that record from the book that may now have it converted into computer digital format? It had several backing tracks to play the guitar solos over. It taught rock guitar using the "box" system to move horizontally across the neck instead of using straight scale positions if you know what I mean.

Steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I had almost given up hope that I wasn't the only one who bought that book. I hope you can find the included recording to copy it to the computer. I'd like to try those cool solos over the backing track once again!

Steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No, it had guitarist Pat Thrall on the cover. But there is a solo in the style of Jimi called "Homage to Hendrix" and the mainstream rock solo is called "Snaker". Here is a scan of the front and back covers to this book:

Hopefully you or someone else still has the included demonstration record.

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this very same book. My teenage rocker life revolved around this book. I mastered both "Snaker" and "Homage to Hendrix." The funny thing is my now teenage son picked up the book and is looking for the "CD" that should come with it. Had to tell him the bad news that even if I did find that thin vinyl 45 rpm, we didn't have anyway to play it. He's even using my (now vintage) Gibson SG. I do recall that I did record it on cassette tape so that I could replay it easier. If you all find it, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW:

I bought the book not long after it first came out back in 1973; mastered it as well as making a dupe of the 45 floppy demo record on a cassette; lost it (and the demonstration record, and my cassette recording of it) somewhere along the way...

And, after searching for it from time to time in the used bookstores, found it again tonight---WITH the demo record included and in almost pristine condition.

Jimi Hendrix is on the front cover, just as he was on my original paperback edition of the book; so I don't know what that scan above with Pat T. there instead is about, was that a later edition or something? I notice that it costs more (mine, as is this new old copy, went for $5.95).

Now I just have to find a way to play it so I can get it in digiform.

Sweet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
improvising Rock Guitar

Hi all ,
I had this book and it kick started my improvising , remember it had a track called Snaker and Homage to Hendrix on one of those awful flimsy records that you had to put a threepenny piece on ( old UK currency ) or a quarter to stop it slipping on the turntable !
Does anyone have the sound files , I realise this is a long shot.
I am hoping to pick the book up without record .... have been playing 30 years now and would like to see if I can finally master this!

regards
Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'VE ONLY JUST REGISTERED HERE, LOOKING TO SEE IF THERE WAS A CD VERSION OF THIS BOOK 'IMPROVISING ROCK GUITAR ' BY PAT THRALL. i'VE ALWAYS FOUND IT A GREAT TUTOR FOR MY STUDENTS. I COPIED THE VINYL FLOPPY RECORD ON TO MY COMPUTER, SO IF ANYONE WANTS IT.....? I WAS JUST HOPING THERE MIGHT BE A BETTER QUALITY UPDATED VERSION.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'VE ONLY JUST REGISTERED HERE, LOOKING TO SEE IF THERE WAS A CD VERSION OF THIS BOOK 'IMPROVISING ROCK GUITAR ' BY PAT THRALL. i'VE ALWAYS FOUND IT A GREAT TUTOR FOR MY STUDENTS. I COPIED THE VINYL FLOPPY RECORD ON TO MY COMPUTER, SO IF ANYONE WANTS IT.....? I WAS JUST HOPING THERE MIGHT BE A BETTER QUALITY UPDATED VERSION.
Hi Prem,
I agree with your comments regarding the book , I used to have it in the 70's and have just bought a replacement second hand copy ( no flexi disc though )Unforunately there is no Cd version that I have found , I have been trawling , surfing and trying some lateral thinking but to no avail.( I am UK based )
I would appreciate a copy of what you have on your computer though as I have the book but no record.
As regards the quality of your copy I don't suppose one of these noise cleaning programs would help? Perhaps someone who has high end recording software may be able to perform some magic?
regards
Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Message to Johnny Gyno ,
on a learning curve here , I don't appear to be able to respond directly but much appreciated the link , I have also acquired another copy of book now with a good flexi.Still good stuff even though 30 years plus old.Thanks to guitars 101 also.

regards
Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Influential book on rock improvisation

So, you're looking for Improvising Rock Guitar, eh? Here's a link to the book + audio:

ww.zshare.net/download/1360930823c2212f

Well sure enough - I have been looking for this book and honestly never thought I would hear these tracks again, thought they are burned into my head. I picked this up in 7th grade (at the suggestion of a good teacher) and I have to admit, I studied it. My parents probably remember "Snaker" coming from my room. I bought a 1963 SG Jr for $99 and learned pretty much every note of Snaker and Homage to Hendrix, and still to this day, after years of playing professionally, apply some of the basic "boxes" along with my own licks and modified boxes. This book (and Pat Thrall) was a huge influence on me - I gave it away in college to some guy down the hall and he lost it. Thanks for the effort and I'm glad others are looking for it too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this very same book. My teenage rocker life revolved around this book. I mastered both "Snaker" and "Homage to Hendrix." The funny thing is my now teenage son picked up the book and is looking for the "CD" that should come with it. Had to tell him the bad news that even if I did find that thin vinyl 45 rpm, we didn't have anyway to play it. He's even using my (now vintage) Gibson SG. I do recall that I did record it on cassette tape so that I could replay it easier. If you all find it, please let me know. Thanks.
I still have it, actually the record is 33 1/3 RPM. Let me see if I can find a TURNTABLE and I'll digitize it for ya

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, it had guitarist Pat Thrall on the cover. But there is a solo in the style of Jimi called "Homage to Hendrix" and the mainstream rock solo is called "Snaker". Here is a scan of the front and back covers to this book:

Hopefully you or someone else still has the included demonstration record.

Steve
My copy has Hendrix on the front cover.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.