Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a thermonuclear discussion with my buddy who's a die hard Malmsteen fan (well, nobody's perfect :D ) and finally he said a phraze that really knocked me out, quoting: 'Zakk could suck Ozzy's dick but he'll never be Malmst' :wtf:

What do you think about both of them? I'm absolutely convinced Zakk is by far better songwriter than Yngwie, and Malmsteen doesn't even come close to the feelings and emotions Zakk bring into his playing, but I also think Zakk is a better guitarist technically (by that I also mean him playing versatile stuff from country chicken picking to heavy metall mentatonic hardcore, not just neoclassical shredding through 20 years).

So, what is your final desicion?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mishar McLeud said:
I just had a thermonuclear discussion with my buddy who's a die hard Malmsteen fan (well, nobody's perfect :D ) and finally he said a phraze that really knocked me out, quoting: 'Zakk could suck Ozzy's dick but he'll never be Malmst' :wtf:

What do you think about both of them? I'm absolutely convinced Zakk is by far better songwriter than Yngwie, and Malmsteen doesn't even come close to the feelings and emotions Zakk bring into his playing, but I also think Zakk is a better guitarist technically (by that I also mean him playing versatile stuff from country chicken picking to heavy metall mentatonic hardcore, not just neoclassical shredding through 20 years).

I dont know, but I love Neo Classical Guitar, to say it lacks feel is what i think is non sense.

I think theyre both real great, no matter what. Even though people say that Malmsteen has an ego; Steve Vai does Too! Everyone has some sort of ego, and they should be proud of the stuff they do.

Anyways before you guys start this remember. Opinions are subjective, so dont start flaming eachother keep it clean :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If a greatness of guitarists would've been judged by ego, I think everybody would've given their vote to Randy Rhoads, or Dimebag Darell :).
And I didn't say neoclassic lacks feelings, I've related towards Malmst alone :icon_cool:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Haha, thank you Grant. :thumb:

Umm, I'm not much of a neo-classical guy, but I won't knock anybody for digging that type of music. I'm heavy into BLS and Ozzy, so I'm going to go with Zakk here. I can't say that Zakk plays with more passion or feel, because I do believe that Malmsteen plays with passion and feel. Zakk just has more "soul" to me, and that's why I dig his guitar playing/songwriting overall, more then I do Yngiwe's.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd have to go with Zakk, he's not Randy :p but hes not trying to be a clone. I think of Zakk as a guitar player but when I think of Yngwie i can only think of shredding and there is more to guitar the shredding. If I want to listen to classical music I want to hear it played on piano or at least an acoustic guitar not on an overdriven electric guitar played as fast as possible.

My 2 pesos

·
Crazy Admin
4,004 Posts
well said sucka my thoughts exactly but i'll add one thing :

i'm not a fan of neoclassical style either so i won't bash people that do , but the main thing i look for in a good guitarist is that they do whats right for the song , thats why i love people like steve lukather and larry carlton even zakk wylde who play just the right ammount for the song and in a good style that fits the song ,

after watching the g3 dvd the final jams at the end where yngwie plays the same shred neoclassical stuff over a soulful beautiful song like little wing .. just horrible ! he is the same with all his blues stuff i've listened to ..

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Stiglar said:

i'm not a fan of neoclassical style either so i won't bash people that do , but the main thing i look for in a good guitarist is that they do whats right for the song , thats why i love people like steve lukather and larry carlton even zakk wylde who play just the right ammount for the song and in a good style that fits the song ,

after watching the g3 dvd the final jams at the end where yngwie plays the same shred neoclassical stuff over a soulful beautiful song like little wing .. just horrible ! he is the same with all his blues stuff i've listened to ..
Wow, he did that over Little Wing? I actually started to get that dvd, but glad I didn't. The G3 dvd with EJ, Satch and Vai is KILLER! Got that puppy on dvd and cd.

I also agree with your point about people that play just the right amount for the song. Now sometimes Zakk can just go nuts on a solo, but I never have that feeling that he's just playing notes for fuck's sake.

·
Crazy Admin
4,004 Posts
SuckaIn3Piece said:
Wow, he did that over Little Wing? I actually started to get that dvd, but glad I didn't. The G3 dvd with EJ, Satch and Vai is KILLER! Got that puppy on dvd and cd

I also agree with your point about people that play just the right amount for the song. Now sometimes Zakk can just go nuts on a solo, but I never have that feeling that he's just playing notes for fuck's sake.
I agree i much prefer the original g3 with eric johnson , great songs but each artist and the jams don't go on too long just long enough to be awesome !

to be fair vai also went a bit over board on that version of little wing as well but not nearly as bad as yngwie did .. it was a joke ... satch is great though people rag him for being too boring and rock .. but man what are they playing in those jams ? ROCK ..not neoclassical yngwie compositions ... they call it a blues scale for a reason .. so you can use it over a blues !

sorry that was just my little rant hehe

i agree with you on zakk though he has had some fantastic solos slow and fast , always does the song justice :thumb:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The cool thing is that I've never heard or read Zakk say one bad thing about Yngwie. The guy is just class, and has respect for alot of guys that paved the way for him. I think that's what's missing from alot of these young guys in the rock scene today. They have no knowledge of the history of men that came before them and innovated, and raised the bar time and time again.

Here's a quote from Zakk:

GW: "Guitar Players tend to ignore any style thats outside of their genre."

Wylde: "I hate that. I constantly hear people say Yngwie sucks, and I want to choke them. Maybe you dont like him, but the guy does not suck. The first time I heard Yngwie was when a friend played me and Alcatrazz song over the phone, and I was speechless. I thought, how much better can you get? But someone always raises the bar and takes it to the next level."

·
Crazy Admin
4,004 Posts
SuckaIn3Piece said:
The cool thing is that I've never heard or read Zakk say one bad thing about Yngwie. The guy is just class, and has respect for alot of guys that paved the way for him. I think that's what's missing from alot of these young guys in the rock scene today. They have no knowledge of the history of men that came before them and innovated, and raised the bar time and time again.

Here's a quote from Zakk:

GW: "Guitar Players tend to ignore any style thats outside of their genre."

Wylde: "I hate that. I constantly hear people say Yngwie sucks, and I want to choke them. Maybe you dont like him, but the guy does not suck. The first time I heard Yngwie was when a friend played me and Alcatrazz song over the phone, and I was speechless. I thought, how much better can you get? But someone always raises the bar and takes it to the next level."
That is pretty fricken cool , zakk has the right morals , much like eddie does when interviewed which is very cool indeed , i do agree with him though yngwie far from sucks , just not really my cup of tea i guess

·
Registered
302 Posts
I gotta go with zakk, even though i never really listen to his playing. I respect him, and from what i've heard he's great. Malmsteen is just a punk. I HATE that guy cause of his attitude. I really enjoy neoclassical guitar, but i just hate malmsteen aside from his song Black Star :). He may be an amzing player, i'll admit that, but there are so many players that can out play him such as vai, satch, petrucci, chris broderick, jeff loomis, etc.

If you want some cool neo classical metal, check out Michael Romeo, that guy is my fav guitarist and could own malmsteen any day, any time. He's also not a prick.

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,522 Posts
lol Black Star hates malmsteen .. oh the irony ... to be honest i think both guys kick major ass in their own right . ive seen zakk do some amazing stuff and same goes for Yngwie . they both got where they are for a reason . which is more than can be said for alot fo "rock" bands today .

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
both are great I used to like listening to Yngwie all the time but I tend to now lean more towards Dream Theater music and Steve because I personally feel their music touches me more. That might be different for obviously some of you but there is no way anyone can say that Yngwie Sucks or that Zakk sux! those guys are phenominal!!! Yngwie and Batio may just be shredders but they still have to put the music together which in itself is a task that a lot of people cannot do period. But I think out of the two I would go with Yngwie becasue I love to hear Neo Classical Shred!!!

·
Thunder from the East
2,038 Posts
Black Star said:
. He may be an amzing player, i'll admit that, but there are so many players that can out play him such as vai, satch, petrucci, chris broderick, jeff loomis, etc.

If you want some cool neo classical metal, check out Michael Romeo, that guy is my fav guitarist and could own malmsteen any day, any time. He's also not a prick.
no way dude:jam:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Stiglar said:

I like the soloing on little wing. It's a guitar virtuoso show, of course they are gonna play their asses of.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,253 Posts
Mishar McLeud said:

I agree totally. Yngwie is very, very good but the same lines and phrases for years now. You could say the same about Zakk to an extent (he's a pentatonic freak) but listen to his 'Chicken Pickin' tracks and stuff like 'Dead Meadow' for his writing side...thats almost Dave Gilmour in it's approach. I agree also with what Stig said...you shouldn't hate a guy just because he's not your cup of tea. Yngwie is an amazing player; he's just not my amazing player...Zakk has attitude in his tone and that counts for everything. :peace:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Stiglar said:
you have a point , but why pick a slow almost ballady song like little wing to do it ? that to me is shredding for the sake of shredding
Yeah you have a point. I dunno, it just sounds good to me, but i can understand why it irks you.

Anywhos Zakk and Yngwie have two very different stiles. Zakk is IMO a much much MUCH better songwritter, but I'm not so crazy about his soloing. Yngwie is almost the other way around, although his soloing can get old.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.