Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is a stupid question but is there a wrong way to playing a guitar???like the wrong way to place your fingers. i was looking on this website for some guitar tips and exercises and they said that your thumb on your left hand shouldn't be slanted when you play and mine is is that wrong or bad???

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are more efficient ways to do things, but if it feels natural to you just go with it. Paul gilbert uses his 3rd finger instead of middle finger for 3 note per string stuff wich is considered "wrong" , I did it too at first but changed it. but he went with it and it works for him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
it's kind of like lifting weights ... what works for some may not work for you. although there are general "rules" to proper playing, not everyone's fingers can do the same thing ... and of course, rules are made to be broken

·
Shredding it up!!!
1,185 Posts
Whatevers comfortable, but like weightlifting as dachokie mentioned the 'rules' that are set out are there for your health. You'll find that even though playing with your guitar round your knees (Tom Delonge) may be ok to begin with, you do it long enough and you'll need back surgery (Tom Delonge) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
213 Posts
T.A.Z said:
Whatevers comfortable, but like weightlifting as dachokie mentioned the 'rules' that are set out are there for your health. You'll find that even though playing with your guitar round your knees (Tom Delonge) may be ok to begin with, you do it long enough and you'll need back surgery (Tom Delonge) :lol: :lol:
ah, but playing with your guitar up around your neck (Adam D., KSE) may be ok and look really dorky, but apparently if you do it long enough you'll need back surgery TWICE (Adam D., KSE)...

·
Registered
143 Posts
RockGod5150 said:
... i was looking on this website for some guitar tips and exercises and they said that your thumb on your left hand shouldn't be slanted when you play and mine is is that wrong or bad???

They say your thumb should always be straight with no bend in it at all? I'm surprised anybody actually paid attention to their thumb angle. I wouldn’t worry about what they say just do what feels right. Hendrix played with his thumb wrapped all the way around on rhythm and fretted notes with it a lot too. People have different sized hands and thumbs, I don’t think everyone's thumb's are gonna do the exact same thing and I don’t think most pay any attention to it at all. Just play :biggrin:

·
Registered
224 Posts
short answer, NO!! Look at all your favorite players, and look at all the giants, they all play differently. Who on earth picks like Vernon Reid or EVH, works for them but I couldn't do it to save my life, as for your thumb, the size of your hand will dictate where it goes. The principal of hand positioning behind the technique is always worth noting, once you give it a go, figure out how it works best for you...

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
There's no wrong way.

Look at Mart Friedman. He holds his right hand in a really weird way. And plays like a god.

EVH is all over the map. His hand has ADD and it works pretty well for him too.

How about Mark Knopfler? Now that's different!

·
Registered
652 Posts
RockGod5150 said:
i know this is a stupid question but is there a wrong way to playing a guitar???like the wrong way to place your fingers. i was looking on this website for some guitar tips and exercises and they said that your thumb on your left hand shouldn't be slanted when you play and mine is is that wrong or bad???
For purists, the way 90% of modern guitarists play is wrong. Technically, you should always keep your thumb behind the fretboard, have your fingers bent slightly as you fret, and keep them close to the fretboard. You should use alternate picking or use your fingers in a certain way if you play with your fingers. Most guitarists nowadays don't really care about that, though, and do what's most comfortable for them. All depends on how conservative you are, I guess, and the style of music you play.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Rule no 1: THERE ARE NO RULES! Guitar is about expression! :irock:

·
Registered
172 Posts
While I'm not sure wrong is the best word for it; even tho I do feel there is wrong ways'...especially for certain styles that require proper and accurate technique as opposed to simply pulling it off. In some styles, half/@$$ technique can even individualize a player more and be a plus. It sure is not the case with shred. There are a lot of "errors" a beginner might not notice that, if not realized and corrected will present a limit in an area. I'm being vague I know... but here is a good example which I wrote in a reply to a recent question about picking:

"For alternate picking:

NEVER have 2 or more fingers on the fret board at one time.. a big mistake is planting the first finger especially for pivot points etc.. One of the secrets of picking is never having more then one finger on the fretboard at a time.. no matter what. if you are playing 3 notes on one string say any three notes spreading out to four frets for example, 1rst 2nd 4th finger and you play it as a perpetual lick...(btw this is such a simple and beneficial exercise) 1 2 4 2 1 2 4 2 .. or it could be 1 3 4 3 1 3 4 3 whatever.. it would seem almost natural to just leave your first finger planted the whole time but no. Each finger should lift off as the next comes down. The faster you get.. you will notice that the fingers hardly ever lift off the strings but it is the ever slight release of pressure that makes a difference in accuracy especially at the pivot points, and at the highest of speeds the first finger will pretty much be touching but should only be pressed when the note is played. The more accurate you can play, the faster you will get. "

Of course not everyone cares about reaching the the ultimate level when it comes to the S-H-R-E-D word, one that I'll admit can boarder along masturbation at times, but when it comes to picking or any technique for that matter, for those who do.. There is a right way.

Here you can find videos and music of my playing. I do practice what I preach

http://www.myspace.com/zzzintoawayoutzzz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z57Ez8s53Co

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is one question i thought about for a long time now. Since I started taking classical guitar seriously in college and all, my instructor has been very particular about my finger/hand placement in both my left and right hands. I dont think it is about what is 'right' or 'wrong'. It is more about efficiency, accuracy, and achieving the phrasing/dynamics that a particular piece demands. That is the 'right' way to play, and that could mean alot of different things depending on who you ask.:wavey:

·
Registered
48 Posts
My former guitar teacher said the thumb should be aligned with your middle finger. However, my hands are big enough to wrap my thumb around the neck to play the low E string. I don't do it a lot, but it comes in handy for Bark At The Moon.

Wrong or Right? Check out Thunderstruck by AC/DC. I've seen Angus play it using stacatto picking as well has hammer-on's.

Like others have said... whatever feels right to you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The right way is what is most comfortable for you.
I agree 101% with this statement...If you could use your toes to play an instrument, dont be supprised if youre even BETTER than the guy playing with his fingers ;)
Just to give you an idea...I play my electric with just 2 fingers....NO plactrim, just my thumb and fore finger...Although the thumb is "supposingly" only to make bass, even helps my finger with other strings. If i play ( and this i heard from other ppl listening to me ) guys thought i was playing with all my fingers. If you asked me to use MORE fingers, i would be stuffed....simply because i can't ( or maby dont want to ) :bannana_g

·
Registered
58 Posts
No wrong way. Until 1981 people always played guitars with the back of the guitar agianst the players body, Eddie Van Halen created a "guitar shelf" that lifted the guitar horizontally at this waist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No wrong way. Until 1981 people always played guitars with the back of the guitar agianst the players body, Eddie Van Halen created a "guitar shelf" that lifted the guitar horizontally at this waist.

That is simply too awesome to be allowed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts