Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i just got a new godin SD model. however, there seems to be a buzz when i fret the 2nd note on the high e. this occured before on my older SD. suc a coincidence eh? i sold the old one because of this.
i am using lace sensors in neck and middle position and u can hear the buzz from the amp. but when i switch to HUMS, they buzz cant be heard.
yesterday, i brought the SD to a tech, he told me that my guitar needed a setup and that the neck was too straight. is this true? and by curving the neck will it help me get rid of the buzz and also will this affect my playing and the intonation>(its perfect now!)
thanks a lot.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Hmmm... You should read the stickied post about guitar setups like other people in your predicament...

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Hard to say without seeing the neck, but if your tech says he can set the guitar up and fix the buzz, then let him. Intonation shouldn't really be affected, and the setup should take care of any intonation issues that could arise from adjusting the neck. You're not paying for the guy to simply restring your guitar, so you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Unless the guitars frets are absolutely perfect, you cant have a straight neck without any buzz. Someone will probably prove me wrong on this though......

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Most frets aren't leveled perfect out of the factory. The setups are pretty generic. A perfectly straight neck isnt always called for most manufacturers recommend a minimal amount of relief to reduce strain on the neck.. Also all it takes is one low cut in the nut and your guitar will buzz out on any lower fret thats just a tad taller than the rest. Theres many different things that can cause strings to buzz. Your best bet is to take it to where you bought it and ask to have it set up properly. Some shops charge for that some don't.. just depends on the shop's policy. A good set up is well worth whatever the charge is to save headaches now and down the road later. If you bought it from a mail order or online company...... your just out the price of a set up. Unless your proficient in guitar repairs and set up, online and mail order may be cheaper, but not always a wise choice. Play before you pay. Always a good policy if your unsure or unskilled in repair and set up techniques.

VGB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts