Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I have 3 electric guitars and various amps, cabs, modellers, and other gear. I like to play hard rock and tend to like soft palm muting (think Randy Roads live). I find that usually my lowest strings (E,A) tend to have a boomy sound when palm muted rather than a more flat "thud" which I'm looking for. Do you guys have any idea how I can trade the "boom" for a "thud". I've tried various EQing without success (paticularly trying to turn down the bass to get rid of the "boom"). I was actually thinking that I would find a set of all unwound strings and see what that does since my unwound strings tend to have the more flat type of palm mute I'm looking for. Is there such a thing as all unwound electric guitar strings?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't think you can get a set of all unwound strings, but you can get flatwounds, which will tend to give a mellower sound... Not sure if it will be what you're looking for. Another thing that comes to mind is to try applying a little more pressure to the palm mute. I'm thinking that the less the strings are allowed to vibrate, the less boomy and more percussive they'll be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you can get a set of all unwound strings, but you can get flatwounds, which will tend to give a mellower sound... Not sure if it will be what you're looking for. Another thing that comes to mind is to try applying a little more pressure to the palm mute. I'm thinking that the less the strings are allowed to vibrate, the less boomy and more percussive they'll be.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try those!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts