Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In January I'm gonna be getting a pretty large chunk of money, and you can all pretty much guess what thats gonna be used for. But I can't decide between a few guitars.
So originally I had my heart set on getting a Gibson SG Standard (I own an SG Faded at the moment) but I went over to the music store today and fell in love with a Jackson RR-1.
I'm looking to get an opinion on which one to get, or if theres any other Jacksons (USA series) that would be as good or better. Playing styles are heavy metal, thrash metal, hard rock and classic rock.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I play mostly metal and use a Jackson dk2. I tried a RR but found it was a pain the butt when practicing sitting down. Damn thing keeps sliding off your leg. Pickup config is the same so you get same sound/tone.No trem on the SG so that will limit you a bit.I also tried a Charvel san dimas and they are a good piece of gear too, but the dk2 works best for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a jackson performer through some zakk wylde emg's and wham awsome tone.I think for metal jackson is best,but what ever you like spend the extra money,get some excellent replacement pickups.I find the right pickup makes all the difference.I've the zakk wylde emgs in my jackson and the dimebag pickups in the ibanez and they both sound great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While the RR is a badass, the Gibsons overall are much more versatile. They can be used appropriately with almost anything you'd like to play, whereas the RR is pretty much stuck in metal mode. Not that that's a bad thing per se, and you do already have the other SG... Whatever you pick up, will you be doing any mods?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I play on a Randy Rhodes and i absolutely love it. It's a great guitar and I'd say say it's probably a superior guitar. Then again, I've never even held a Gibson SG Standard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts