Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something i did a bit ago , trashy mixdown but here goes , good luck to all you others in the contest........:thumbup:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Well this has just changed my voting idea I think. This is my favourite tune of yours. I love the playing on this, it's superb.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
talk about a 90 degree turn. Mate this is more in line with Satriani than Page. and yeah ... I think I have changed my vote. This is beautifully crafted and has a superb melody. The change at 3:00 ish turns the tune on its head.

great stuff!!!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This was awesoem bluesy, killa job, killa entry!!:thumb: :thumb:

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
just listened to this again and freekin kick ass man .. i love this specially the opening riff with 2 chords .. sounds great .. really awesome :thumb:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your comments guys......all the best in the comp..... :thumb: :thumb:

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Art this is sick, man :thumbup: The playing on this is simply over the top. I dunno if this is the best I have heard you play or not but it is truely kickass. One of the best pieces I have heard posted on this forum...you weaved a sonic canvas here...very well done! The mix is perfect too, nice use of various studio effects. :bowdown:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
stingx said:
.....The playing on this is simply over the top.....One of the best pieces I have heard posted on this forum.....you weaved a sonic canvas here.....very well done!
Man, StingX, you should write for Rolling Stone mag! :)

These are my thoughts as well. Very unique feel to the chord progression and a very creative adaptation of Achilles Last Stand (I assume that is partly the inspiration for this tune). Lead work was fantastic. Very professional sounding. :thumbup:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for taking time out to reply , really appreciate it . In fairness i did this about 2 years ago when i had my little Zoom ! The tune came about after a couple of days spent playing some Jimmy page open tuning songs . anyway I was retuning the Strat back to 440 when i came accross this odd little chord , if im not mistaken i raised the open g to g sharp . EADG#BE . I played a little sequence starting at the 7th fret , what would of been E became this other chord . It sounded like Achilles but because i was hitting all six strings it came across a good deal heavier , so i sourced a good midi file , stole the drums , tinkered around with it then banged on a real Bass , a Stienberg copy and put that riff on top . I think if Heart can do it with Barracuda , well why not me i once again thanks :icon_thum

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most people refer to Barracuda , by Heart as a song inspired by Led Zeppelin especially the track Achilles Last Stand . In fairness to them they did great covers of the band and to this day keep the spirit of Led Zeppelin alive .My contest track also leans this way .:afro:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
bluesplayer said:
Most people refer to Barracuda , by Heart as a song inspired by Led Zeppelin especially the track Achilles Last Stand . In fairness to them they did great covers of the band and to this day keep the spirit of Led Zeppelin alive .My contest track also leans this way .:afro:
Ah Yes, now that you mention it, at one time I made the connection between the two songs and formed my belief that Achille's Last Stand and Barracuda could quite possibly be considered the first thrash songs of rock, as far as that galloping rhythmic playing and drum beat, which eventually evolved into such classic metal bands like Metallica (a la Master of Puppets and And Justice for All). It is no secret that the Wilson sisters were enamored with Led Zeppelin, who they still reference in interviews to this day.

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
Fantastic job Bluesy!!!:icon_peac

1 - 20 of 23 Posts