Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a cover of Big Block from Jeff Becks Guitar Shop album.
I found the backing track on a Guitar Techniques (UK mag) CD. In fact the backing track was so good it kicked me up the arse into learning the track!!

If anyone hasn't heard this particular Jeff Beck album they REALLY should check it out, in my opinion it is as essential as Van Halen 1 as far as groundbreaking guitar playing is concerned.

·
Yeah, so what?
1,562 Posts
Sounded great man. :jam: I got the LP when it came out, not the best one of Jeff, but this song rocks, you nailed it :woot:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey Sadge..that was absolutely brilliant..Jeff is the mutts nutts!..well done....:bannana_g

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Totally excellent. You're performance is spot on, as they say. In addition to this album, go back and check out Jeff Beck's earlier work too. He's been an innovator for a long time.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Sounds great Sadge...superb strat tone and HUGE sound. As close as I remember the song. Maybe someone can tell me some info regarding the track 'Where Were You'. This was recorded a few years ago now and has the most amazing trem swoops BUT was this don with an early Digitech Whammy pedal or has he done some fucking deal with the Devil to allow a stock trem to go up about 2 octaves???? Answers please!

Good work as ever Sadge...keep em coming. :thumb:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for the comments Chris.
"Where Were You" is from the same album as Big Block. i.e. Guitar Shop. All those trem swoops and pulls in Where Were You are done with the bar!!! I've seen him play it live.
Takes some technique and control to play and thats why Beck is the master guitarist that he is.
If I remember rightly Jeff's trem was set to pull back and raise the pitch of a note by two and a half tones. Those notes that zoom into the stratosphere are played off natural harmonics and Jeff uses the bar to play the melodies!!
I think I've got the tablature for it somewhere, could be worth digging it out.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Bloody hell! Thats one of the most amazing natural sounding pieces of guitar I've ever heard Sadge...always reminds me of eagles soaring for some reason. I'd love to see him do that cos that one main swoop goes up at least 4 tones! On a stock strat tremelo...a true master. Guys, if you haven't heard 'Where Were You', drop everything to get it...it's beautiful. Thanks for the info Sadge. Good work mate.. :thumb:

·
Registered
574 Posts
wahwah said:
Bloody hell! Thats one of the most amazing natural sounding pieces of guitar I've ever heard Sadge
I agree.. you did it as if you wrote it... outstanding job!

Janell

1 - 13 of 13 Posts