Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Jeff Beck great, or a piker? I watched Bluray Live at Ronnie Scott's and still can't decide. Scatterbrain, great playing, the rest, I don't know. GREAT music, but is it masterful playing?? That slide thing (won't give it away) was stellar, NEVER SEEN THAT; but where is the hot picking?
Is he holding back, he's got the goods but would rather pound out a few notes.
Any guitar teachers have an opinion?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jeff Beck is one of my favorite players along with Steve Stevens, VH, Vai etc.. I would suggest checking out Jeff's "There and Back" 1980 disc to hear the chops. I have the Ronnie Scott cd. "Behind The Veil" has some great chicken pickin style riffs. Beck is more about "feel" than chops to me. Just watch the ending of the Ronnie Scotts where Clapton comes out and Jeff tears him a new one. Classic stuff!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jeff has deceptively prodigious technique. His feel is unmatched, and he consistently coaxes sounds out of his instrument which nobody else on the planet have ever produced before, which is the essence of true musical genius. I think he said something along the lines of, "if someone hears my playing and says, 'what instrument is that?' I've accomplished my goal." It's not about showing off with Jeff, it's about creating new sounds. Most remarkable of all is that his growth as a musician has not slowed into his 60's. Some might say it has accelerated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, great point

Jeff has deceptively prodigious technique. His feel is unmatched, and he consistently coaxes sounds out of his instrument which nobody else on the planet have ever produced before, which is the essence of true musical genius. I think he said something along the lines of, "if someone hears my playing and says, 'what instrument is that?' I've accomplished my goal." It's not about showing off with Jeff, it's about creating new sounds. Most remarkable of all is that his growth as a musician has not slowed into his 60's. Some might say it has accelerated.
Thanks for your opinion; when I watched the blu Ray and saw how how ws playing that portion at the end of (which song as it?). Don't want to to give it away, but with a slide placed....
WOW!!!! Its a new world!! Up is down!!! And yesterday I found my Blow by BLow in SACD (surround) so tonight will be JB in surruound.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Blow by Blow is a great album man. And El Becko is one of those rare guitarists who knows when to cut loose and when to pull it back. Not everyone can really do that. His greatest asset is his control of the instrument, and how it does just what he wants it to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just watch the ending of the Ronnie Scotts where Clapton comes out and Jeff tears him a new one. Classic stuff!

Jeff has always tore Clapton a new one every time they trade off. I wonder if Clapton realises this or is he simply a glutton for punishment!?:ne_nau::p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jeff has never been one to sit on his psat achievments. From blues to rock to hard rock to fusion to techno and who knows what the future holds at 65. Jeff shelved the pick a long time ago and strictly plays with his fingers. His mastery of micro bends and the wammy bar are unmatched .Ask any top player who they think is the greatest living player and 80% will tell you Beck. Maybe his music is not your cup of tea but I cant believe you cannot see the genius that lies in him. Or maybe you just like hearing someone playing as fast as they can with no rhyme or reason. With time anyone can learn to type but not everyone can write a book.

R

·
0 Posts
Jeff has never been one to sit on his psat achievments. From blues to rock to hard rock to fusion to techno and who knows what the future holds at 65. Jeff shelved the pick a long time ago and strictly plays with his fingers. His mastery of micro bends and the wammy bar are unmatched .Ask any top player who they think is the greatest living player and 80% will tell you Beck. Maybe his music is not your cup of tea but I cant believe you cannot see the genius that lies in him. Or maybe you just like hearing someone playing as fast as they can with no rhyme or reason. With time anyone can learn to type but not everyone can write a book.
No, most will say Hendrix. I've heard more people say they thought Steve Howe was the best.

Beck is great, and not overrated at all. He's not THE BEST, but he's damn good. He has a style that is bluesy, but stands out against Page, Clapton, and anyone from his era.

Blow By Blow is a good suggestion as a starting point, but you should also check out his stuff with the Yard Birds.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just saw him last week. He is great, but that shit's a matter of opinion. If you don't like it, who cares? If you do, then enjoy the sweet tunes. And make up you own mind about i you dimwit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
He IS awesome, but more of an acquired taste. Check out Blow By Blow and Wired.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jeff Beck stopped using a pick long ago so this might turn some people off as the tension and force that comes with powerful alternate picking is not as evident as application of whammy bar and floating and smeared feels of notes. But sometimes he picks pretty cleanly. Check out a youtube clip (very recent, 2009 or something) of him doing "People get ready" and "Ain't superstitious" with Rod Stewart at the end of one of his (Beck's) concerts, where Stewart shows up surprising Beck. But if you like powerful picking go with the 1974 BBC video on youtube--the high quality one--of "she's a woman". Great stuff no matter any era.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like powerful picking, at least some. So the new CD Emotions and Boredom don't make it. NO HOT playing. I don't mind some finesse' but show us you remember how to play. Otherwise I am suspicious this is a guy who does not rehearse, let his chops go, and cuts a CD in a few weeks. As Bill Graham said to Jimi on NYE after the first BOG show, but before the second show "...OK, now show me what you can play"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok, let's set it straight. Get the Luanne's bootleg from '68. Try the Turku Finland of '71. The BBC of '72. BBA in Seattle or Detroit or Hollywood or Tokyo plus others. Dallas '75; Vancouver '75; Toronto '75. Vancouver '76; New Orleans '76. Austria '79. Palladium '80, Osaka '80, Greek Theatre '80. The Arms concerts of '83. Guitar shop tour shows from '89 and '95. And so on. The boots show a control and sonic imagination unmatched. The guy is a guitar God.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Father Time is undefeated...

Daniel I don't disagree, Blow by Blow is guitar heaven as far as I am concerned (especially in quad .:woot2: ). I just miss the days of blister-raising picking. Love his tone on live at Ronnie Scott's...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Actually there's a 4 cd set of the Beck/Clapton shows from 2007 that sound unreal quality wise, they're somewhere on here, and Beck does tear clapton a new one, a couple of times.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I said when they ask the top players who they think is the best player and 80% respond Beck , I meant living.

I do not have the new album and have heard it is not balls to the wall well the reason may be that Beck cut the first digit of his left hand index finger off while cutting carrots for a stew and had to have it surgically attached. And wound up finishing the album playing a lot of three finger solos.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
straycat,, thanks for the news. That is as terrible as when James Taylor cut his palm, slicing an apple. I love his unique style as well. I think if I had known that I might have gone a little easier on Beck for not playing fast. LESSON: All that glitters is not..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts