Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jimmy Page
Nassau Coliseum
Uniondale, NY
October 28, 1988
CBG Classic Master Video Series Vol.11

video: (CBG) Ricoh R-600 (same spec as Sony CCD-V5) 8mm camcorder (w/ 2X teleconverter lens) master 8mm analog tape; NTSC, 4:3 PAR, 29.97 fps; transferred to harddrive via a firewire using a Sony TRV-330 8mm digital camera w/ Time Base Correction; video capture, editing, and 2-pass VBR encoding done with Sony Vegas Pro 12 at (disk 1: 8.2K max, 6.9K avg, 1K min) (disk 2: 8.2K max, 8.0K avg, 1K min); authored to DVD in Sony DVD Architect Pro 6. All video editing, audio synching and DVD authoring by Silver Stallion.

audio: recorded w/ Aiwa-CM30A mic through the Ricoh R-600's external mic in jack; captured with the video from the master 8mm analog tape; LPCM 1536 bit

running time: 122 mins (full show)

disk 1 (68 mins)
1. Who's to Blame
2. Prelude
3. Over The Hills And Far Away
4. Wanna Make Love
5. Writes Of Winter
6. Tear Down The Walls
7. Emerald Eyes
8. Midnight Moonlight
9. In My Time Of Dying
10. City Sirens

disk 2 (54 mins)
1. Prison Blues
2. The Chase
3. cello bow guitar solo
4. Dazed And Confused
5. Wasting My Time
6. Blues Anthem (If I Cannot Have Your Love ...)
7. Custard Pie
8. Train Kept A-Rollin'
9. Stairway To Heaven

"Midnight Moonlight" incluldes a "White Summer / Black Mountainside" interlude in the middle of it and "City Sirens" includes Jason Bonham's drum solo.

I only have one request, that you don't take these files and post them on other torrent sites. I have many shows to upload. I will upload, let them get seeded by others and after a majority have downloaded the files completely, remove my files so I can seed something new. I prefer to manage my own shows on DIME and The Traders Den. I will upload to other sites when I wish to for select shows. Thanks for honoring my wishes in advance.

This is “CBG Classic Master Video Series Vol.11”.

By now I had been filming for just over 1 year and had 50+ bands/shows under my belt that I had captured. It was a good year! As I said, I had my favorites and you will see that start to come out over the next year where I attended multiple stops of some bands because I felt that if I didn’t go, it wouldn’t get done. Plus, they were my favorite bands or artists. This guy being one of the one’s at the top. My high school days were supplemented with a lot of listening to Led Zeppelin. So the summer of 1988 for me will always be remembered for my re-acquaintance with Led Zeppelin music. Not that it ever left me or that it will, but this was truly a unique time period for me in that I never got the opportunity to go videotape Led Zeppelin back in the 70’s. Did anyone?! Not silent film, but camcorder video. No.

So there were some Robert Plant tours in 81 with the Honeydrippers, 83 & 85 with his first couple solo albums band, and Jimmy did the Ronnie Lane Action Research for Multiple Sclerosis shows in 1983 with a closing non-vocal version of Stairway to Heaven and then The Firm tours from 84-86 with Paul Rodgers, but neither of them was doing the Led Zeppelin material that the crowd wanted so much (except those few shows where Jimmy did Stairway. There were always subtle hints to the glorious past, like Plant doing some blues parts in his songs and effects here and there and some vocal lines that triggered the past, or Page with the bow guitar solo and laser pyramid spinning over his head in those Firm shows…but that was it. There was Live Aid in 1985, and although sloppy, it is the one reunion EVERYBODY was waiting for all day.

I was lucky to see Robert Plant one week after Live Aid at the Meadowlands Arena in NJ when Robert invited Jimmy onstage to do a couple songs at the end of his show. They did not do any Zeppelin material…although they first did a bluesy jam for like 8-10 minutes that had inferences to bluesy Zep material. Still no Zeppelin. You can hear on my audio recording me say Yea Right! When Plant says something like ‘here is a song you have all been waiting for from 1969 called Treat Her Right’…Yea Right!!! It should have been Whole Lotta Love! So they did some tours but stayed true to not doing Zeppelin material essentially for 8 years.

Well, that all changed in 1988. Thank god it did. To everyone prior to 1988, we seemed robbed of one of our favorite bands when Bonzo died so abruptly in 1980. The Who continued on without Keith Moon. The Rolling Stones continued on with other members. Van Halen split and two bands came out of that in 1986 with Roth going on a killer solo tour with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan. Heck, to a lot of fans, even Pink Floyd eventually continued on as two bands in 1987 & 88…with Roger going out on the road solo at the same time. But Robert Plant was so against it for so long. And Jimmy Page seemed to be in the same frame of mind of not doing Zeppelin material with other band members.

So when Robert began to tour in 1988 and start to do Zeppelin songs for the first time in 8 years, Jimmy Page also toured on his own later that year with John Bonham's son Jason on drums. Jimmy started to do Zeppelin songs as well. For a fan like me, never being able to film Led Zeppelin in the 70’s, this was a dream come true. If I couldn’t see them both together on the same stage doing these songs, at least I could go to each of their shows and see them doing the songs themselves. It was a unique period in rock where you got a few of these super groups splitting and both being out on the road at the same time doing the original catalog of songs. Jimmy and Robert. Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth. David Gilmour and Roger Waters. These are my favorite bands and they are split into two doing tours at the same time. All in 1987-88. It was crazy for me. I loved them both in all cases. There are people that take sides, hate one or the other, but I just enjoyed it while it lasted. Because it didn’t last long. But at least it happened as opposed to never happening and not being able to experience the shows to know what it would have been like.

This whole Zeppelin summer of 1988 kicked off in New York City with the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary party where Led Zeppelin played and was broadcasted on HBO. Robert Plant started playing all over the States after that and later in the fall, so did Jimmy. The first show in the area that I went to was Nassau Coliseum on Long Island. I now had a newer 2x lens that was a little clearer with this camera than the previous 2x lens. It still cut the light down a little and wasn’t as sharp as not having a 2x lens connected to the camera with an adapter ring, but it gave me twice the zoom capability, 6:1 zoom was just not enough for me in a big like Nassau Coliseum. Remember, there were also no 63" tv screens back then either to make the picture large upon playback. So you couln't get in that close unless you were on the first level on the side next to the stage. That wasn't that easy in the Northeast. The Midwest was a different story in some arenas.

It was great to see the Zeppelin songs being played by Jimmy too. He has such a unique style that cannot be imitated. To me it didn’t matter that Robert wasn’t there, just like when I saw Robert, it didn’t matter that Jimmy wasn’t there. They were putting on great shows and I was lucky enough to see a lot of them. So for your viewing pleasure, enjoy Jimmy at Nassau Coliseum, with a lot less consternation than being there in April for Bruce Springsteen. Also, I was young and as I look back now, wish I didn't use the color image overlay of the logos as much as I was recording the shows. At the time, it was a feature on the camera and I used it. It is something that is on the master tape and cannot be removed. Sorry. But it is still a good show!

Download part 1 here
Download part 2 here
Download part 3 here
Download part 4 here
Download part 5 here
Download part 6 here
Download part 7 here
Download part 8 here
Download part 9 here

1 - 3 of 3 Posts