Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Metal head
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!!!

I know some of you will ask: How come you didn't know Johnny Winter??...well, i've been discovering the great players backwards in time: Romeo and Petrucci, Wengie, Vai, Lynch and Satch, and now a lil bit of Vinnie Vincent, SRV and today this awesome man......
I heard today for the first time "Stranger": it shook me to my very bones for its musicality, playing and lyrics what a tone, what a playing, what a solo!!!!...I loved what i heard: it was raw, powerful, genuine and soulful...This guy is awesome...It was a true revelation for me, i can't say it otherwise: today Johnny Winter rocked my world and i want more ...:rock:
I would love to know what are the "must have" albums from Johnny Winter, Steppenwolf, Vinnie Vincent and SVR for starters...Help an avid learner

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
johnny winters...the best of...
david gogo...david gogo (like srv+hendrix...from bc)
pat travers...the best of (firey like johnny winters..cndn)
robin trower...bridge of sighs
fleetwoodmac...greatest hits live (peter green)

just a few anyways... :icon_peac

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,842 Posts
Probably the best he did, IMHO
Second Winter.........just re-released

Highway 61 revisited still blows me away, it made me want to play slide, and at the same time made me never want to try.

Johnny Winter And Live......with Rick Derringer

Mean Town Blues will knock your socks off.....

As you can tell, I like his slide playing

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,842 Posts
Not real familiar with Vinnies stuff, however, SRV is another story. Stevie is one of the few artists that in my mind can do no wrong. :bowdown: I have loved everything he has done.........so in a completely unbiased way, I suggest listening to anything he has recorded, but Texas Flood remains a favorite of mine, just because of it's one take feel, and Stevie just playing his ass off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Two of my favorites from Johnny W are "Nothin but the Blues" and his work with Muddy Waters on "Hard Again". They were both released around the same time, as I recall, and both capture that raw Muddy Waters vibe (Pinetop Perkins and James Cotton both play on those as well). I especially like Johnny's acoustic slide playing on the Nothin but the Blues..."TV Mama" made me want to play slide...something I've still yet to accomplish.

Both of those are very bluesey (sp?) recordings though, not sure if that's what you're looking for or not...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.