Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey it appears that Journey is without a lead singer again. Jeff Scott Soto out! They decided to go down the Van Halen Road of revolving singers. :hugglez: :irock: :nuts: Go Figure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just heard the news and it sickens me. I was never really a Journey fan but started getting into them when Steve Augeri joined since he was a Tyketto alumni. Then when JSS joined, I was elated. I'll wait until the full story comes out before passing judgment, for now.

·
Incognito Wanderer
105 Posts
It would be cool if they reunite with Steve Perry for at least a North American tour. Though, I realise we have a better chance of seeing a Van Halen-Roth reunion tour. :happysad:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Jeff Scott Soto Outta Journey?

:bowdown: Wow! I can't believe this, Anybody know the story behind JSS leaving? Or was he shown the door? Hey, maybe Steve Aujeri can return now. Boy oh Boy

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Bruce said:
:bowdown: Wow! I can't believe this, Anybody know the story behind JSS leaving? Or was he shown the door? Hey, maybe Steve Aujeri can return now. Boy oh Boy[/QUOTE
He was shitcanned.Something about the band wanting to go in a different direction.As far as I'm concerned, having JSS in the band was the best direction Journey had gone in in a long time.The thing that sucks,is supposedly the media was informed of JSS's firing before he was.Neal,Jon,Ross,and Deen need to realize they just fucked up the best thing that has happened to that band since Steve Perry joined them.JSS,you still rule in my book.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm a wee bit happy cause Jeff was far better as a solo artiste anyway.
So it'll be good to get some solo tour. Pretty please!
But on the up side for us UK people, we may get those two Talisman gigs rescheduled at last!
Nic
x

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah, I knew about it 2 weeks ago before they announced it. Something stinks here.

·
Registered
334 Posts
jasonthebuc said:
Bruce said:
:bowdown: Wow! I can't believe this, Anybody know the story behind JSS leaving? Or was he shown the door? Hey, maybe Steve Aujeri can return now. Boy oh Boy[/QUOTE
He was shitcanned.Something about the band wanting to go in a different direction.As far as I'm concerned, having JSS in the band was the best direction Journey had gone in in a long time.The thing that sucks,is supposedly the media was informed of JSS's firing before he was.Neal,Jon,Ross,and Deen need to realize they just fucked up the best thing that has happened to that band since Steve Perry joined them.JSS,you still rule in my book

·
Registered
893 Posts
Unfortunately, the way things work in Journey (they sign confidentiality agreements) we may never know the -real- truth of what happened with JSS. Most people are pissed off at Neal & Jon and they may or may not have reason to be. JSS has posted today that a statment is coming soon but no dirt over on MR.com.

Over the last couple of days, I've thought back to when Neal Jeff & Deen formed up Soul SirkUS and Deen recorded the album with them but left due to family and personal reasons before a tour. They brought in a replacement for Deen, re-issued the CD without Deen on it and toured on from there. I find it really strange that here we are again with Neal, Jeff, Deen and this time around Jeff takes the early exit rather than Deen.

My take is that Neal's ego led to the JSS departure. Needs the control. I do think though that Neal didn't anticipate the fan backlash which prompted journeys website to close BT and most of the site. I'm sure this would have gone down differently. I respect Neal Schon as a guitarist but I question exactly why you would bring someone in to help you out in the middle of a tour when your lead singer goes down, dangle the carrot in front of him that he's now a member of the band then go 180 at the end of the tour and tell him, well thanks for helping us out on such short notice but we've decided we're going to do something else.... :disbelief

One word sums up the treatment of JSS. Can you say "used". :angry:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
GQ Daddy said:
Unfortunately, the way things work in Journey (they sign confidentiality agreements) we may never know the -real- truth of what happened with JSS. Most people are pissed off at Neal & Jon and they may or may not have reason to be. JSS has posted today that a statment is coming soon but no dirt over on MR.com.

Over the last couple of days, I've thought back to when Neal Jeff & Deen formed up Soul SirkUS and Deen recorded the album with them but left due to family and personal reasons before a tour. They brought in a replacement for Deen, re-issued the CD without Deen on it and toured on from there. I find it really strange that here we are again with Neal, Jeff, Deen and this time around Jeff takes the early exit rather than Deen.

My take is that Neal's ego led to the JSS departure. Needs the control. I do think though that Neal didn't anticipate the fan backlash which prompted journeys website to close BT and most of the site. I'm sure this would have gone down differently. I respect Neal Schon as a guitarist but I question exactly why you would bring someone in to help you out in the middle of a tour when your lead singer goes down, dangle the carrot in front of him that he's now a member of the band then go 180 at the end of the tour and tell him, well thanks for helping us out on such short notice but we've decided we're going to do something else.... :disbelief

One word sums up the treatment of JSS. Can you say "used". :angry:
Gq,you hit the nail on the head,EGO.When Steve Augeri was in the band,he was Journey's lead singer,and really not much else.With JSS,you got a guy who is a well respected and celebrated solo artist in his own right,and I don't think Neal OR Jon could handle the fact that they were no longer getting the lion's share of the spotlight anymore.Jon Cain was quoted after JSS's firing as saying something to the effect of wanting to preserve the band's legacy.Well this along with Tapegate isn't going to help them with preserving their legacy,it is more likely going to tarnish it.Sad state of affairs once again in Journeyland.

·
Registered
893 Posts
jasonthebuc said:
Gq,you hit the nail on the head,EGO.When Steve Augeri was in the band,he was Journey's lead singer,and really not much else.With JSS,you got a guy who is a well respected and celebrated solo artist in his own right,and I don't think Neal OR Jon could handle the fact that they were no longer getting the lion's share of the spotlight anymore.Jon Cain was quoted after JSS's firing as saying something to the effect of wanting to preserve the band's legacy.Well this along with Tapegate isn't going to help them with preserving their legacy,it is more likely going to tarnish it.Sad state of affairs once again in Journeyland.
Well Jason, Here's getting everything off my mind after having followed these guys for close to 25 years....

Yeah, I think Jon was quoted as saying they wanted to sound like the 65 Million units that are out there. Well, you'd need the man who recorded lead on those records to SOUND like those 65 million and unfortunately I agree with something former manager Herbie said in an interview in that Steve Perry is a man who has no desire or inclination to record or tour anymore. As almost 13 years have passed for Steve Perry without any new CD or tour, I'm sure this is the case especially after Neal & Jon gave him the boot. JSS being fired does not mean he's coming back. Sorry Perryheads.

When Neal & Jon were pushing Perry out, Perry was right when he told Neal that once you do this, you CAN'T go back. He's right, you can't. Fans can be VERY unforgiving and fanatical about their beliefs in who is right and who is wrong and many were blaming Perry. After Steve A. and now JSS people are starting to blame Neal for all of the bands troubles and poor direction. I think back to Steve Augeri (BTW: has anyone on earth spoken to him since he was dismissed by Journey? I have not found ONE interview. Confidentiality Agreement must have been etched on Stone Tablets - Thou shall not speak of your time in Journey Steve Augeri :hey: )

My speculation as to what led us here: I really believe that Steve A. should have toured in 2005 and called it quits as his vocal health was deteriorating by this point due to the long tour schedules and little rest in between tours. (Good man for hanging in there as long as he did.) Journey takes a much needed year off after 7 years of non-stop work uses 2005 as a Steve A. farewell tour and then find a new lead singer in 2006. I think pressure from Neal & management forced him to stay on and his voice did go out from over use on this tough material and Journey had too much invested in the tour with Def Leppard (Think back to the 98' tour they HAD to go on as Ross & Jon had taken big advances in anticipation of touring with Perry but were close or had fallen into bankruptcy because of Pery deciding not to tour. [From Herbie's interview Castles Burning] )

I think the same happened here. Big anticipation of alot of dollars touring with Leppard as the opening act, band members take out $$$'s on the tour and then Steve Augeri's voice goes down. What to do? Can't pull out in the middle of our tour, too many $$$'s in place, too much at stake for them financially. I don't blame Steve A for any of the tapegate. I think he got pressured from the band or management that he was OUT unless he played ball. They also enjoyed having Steve A. around as he was a genuine good human being and didn't have an ego. Perfect mesh with two big egos in Jon & Neal who can and did dictate the bands direction. :yumyum: But he still did get booted out.

I agree with you Jason in that it's all ego. How would you feel if someone came into your band who posses more energy, drive and alot of following and night after night they're getting all the attention from the fans as well as their own fans showing up to see the shows and you're up there left just holding your....... guitar. :hey: I'm sure there's more to this than JUST ego but I'm positive it has its part in the JSS departure. Neal wanted someone like Perry, well you got him. JSS has the success, potential and talent and he's due, he's ready to break out big. That probably scared the shit out of Neal because JSS could drive the Journey machine. Creatively it would have been a ballsy move to go with a singer who is a little more raw but powerful and in himself is a good songwriter. They were getting good reviews, good press and much deserved attention from the media outlets which definately could have brought interest from a major record label who would be willing to invest $$$'s into the Journey machine and put them back out there. The firing of JSS has all but squashed that and perhaps more and now we ask exactly what kind of legacy is Journey left with? :icon_frow

The songs still mean something to me, especially the Arrival CD which after my wife and I bought our first house I listened to as we remodelled it and got me listening to Journey again and of course other CD's I enjoy. Seeing them live with my family was really fun. Neal Schon is still a great guitar player, no question. I've still enjoyed listening to all of the many incarnations of Journey and will continue to do so. These artists are people just like us though. Flawed and make the same bad decisions we do from time to time. Neal Schon will never be known as the great communicator with his legions of fans. It can be hard to seperate the business side from the music side sometimes however artists do manage to get screwed daily by both. JSS isn't the first, he won't be the last.

Bottom line, it's a business. When NBA players get traded or let go, it usually isn't personal, it's just business and most of them understand this and even allude to it in interviews when trade talk comes up. The music industry is a business too. It's design is to make dollars and profit for the labels who market and distribute the music and trickle that profit down to the artists. If something isn't going to be profitable, the record label drops the artist or asks them to change certain things. Journey doesn't sell enough records anymore to make good enough profit for a major record label and that leaves them touring for $$$'s which is how bands make their money anyway.

Having JSS join Journey was probably the equivelant of an NBA player like Kobe Bryant or a Tim Duncan style player joining your team. Would make an instant impact and turn you around quickly.

Unfortunately Journey IS a business and sometimes the best choices musically aren't always the best choices financially for this band and vise-versa. This band most likely won't be putting out any NEW material anytime soon and will do the yearly summer tour playing the dirty dozen to the fans that come out to see them because that's what people who go to see them want. Most likely they'll hire a singer who "sounds" similar to the Steve Perry on their albums and will continue on for a few more years until maybe the realization kicks in that "once you do this, you can't go back." and they can't.

Phil

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:crap: :icon_ange I agree with everything you said. I like all the different versions of Journey and had great hopes that Jouney could move away from their past with JSS. No Luck. It looked like a perfect setup, but too good to be true. Now they are stuck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been a Journey fan since 1976 and absolutely loved what JSS brought to this band. The events of the past year have been a roller coaster ride with this band. They just need to hang it up at this point.

Apparently they are looking at a Journey tribute band singer as their new frontman. I really don't know how I feel about that.

·
Registered
893 Posts
showgirl said:
I've been a Journey fan since 1976 and absolutely loved what JSS brought to this band. The events of the past year have been a roller coaster ride with this band. They just need to hang it up at this point.

Apparently they are looking at a Journey tribute band singer as their new frontman. I really don't know how I feel about that.
Heard that rumor. His name is Hugo from the tribute band Evolution
YouTube - EVOLUTION JOURNEY TRIBUTE BAND - SEPARATE WAYS

The vocal sound delivery is very similar to Steve Perry. His facial features and hair are similar to that of Steve Perry. Just doesn't deliver with that power and range that Perry had. As a tribute band performer he does well and uses alot of the facial and body movements of Perry but, it is far from being Steve Perry. Amusing thought. :biggthump

Going with a singer similar in vocal range and tone If I had to pick a new front man for Journey, it would be The Zoo lead man Arnel Pineda. Here's his bands cover of Faithfully... the band is a little off on the music itself but he definately kicks ass and I believe this song is done in the correct key... (Listen to him hit the high stuff at the end) Good sound on this one.
YouTube - Journey - Faithfully (Cover by The Zoo)

There's quite a few 80's covers this band has done. A youtube search should reveal quite a few. They only have one other Journey song on there and it was Don't Stop Believin'. This one is a little distorted but you get the idea. He shakes a little on the early part of the song then powers through into it and starts hitting it.
YouTube - Journey - Don't Stop Believing (The Zoo)

I like this band anyway even if they never get much exposure over here in the states. He fits the mold that Journey needs in a lead singer, isn't part of a fanboy tribute band which could alienate the fan base and is somewhat unknown protecting the precious egos of the current members to whom that seems to matter. Similar to a Steve Augeri and that seemed to work well for a number of years. It isn't going to produce monster records but they just need someone to front for the summer tours. Like they'd ever see this suggestion but if I were management, I'd fly this guy in and give him 3-4 songs in front of the band. However, Hugo might be more of what they are thinking. :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
showgirl said:

who is the guy from the "Frontiers" Tribute band? he actually sounds like steve perry. ......to me anyways

·
Registered
893 Posts
who is the guy from the "Frontiers" Tribute band? he actually sounds like steve perry. ......to me anyways
The Frontiers lead singer is jeremey hunsicker. To me, the guy in Evolution , Hugo actually sounds closer to Perry than Hunsicker from Frontiers for me. I'm sure folks may disagree. Here's a youtube with Hunsicker doing Escape which gets up to those nice high Perry notes.
YouTube - Frontiers Journey Tribute | Escape 012707

·
Registered
893 Posts
doolindalton said:
Why don't they just let Castronovo handle the vocals, then Schon & Cain could be the "Frontmen"
YouTube - Deen Castronovo Singing Mother Father
I think Deen would make a good lead singer. However, he is an exceptional drummer (especially with the speed metal) and I think it would be a mistake to pull him out from behind the drums onto lead vocals. He's probably the best backing vocalist this band has ever had the honor, no, the privledge of using both in the studio and live and is very underrated (Gregg Rolie is also right up there). Journey overworks their lead singers till they drop and I'd hate for Deen to go down that path. I'd rather see them bring someone else in as lead singer fodder. :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts