Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sort of an unofficial National Anthem harking back to the days of the Great British Empire.

I won't bullshit you - this is a bit of a rush job and there are quite a few mistakes in it but it is just over an hours work so I can live with that. There are 3 guitar lines (thats the best I could pick out of the orchestra version I was using for reference) all recorded on the vg-88 nylon patch. And a bass line played on my new ibanez bass.

So it is rough and ready but I haven't entered a comp in a long while so I thought I would join in on the fun. Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
That was great man! I really like this kind of compositions, it takes a lot of work to emulate another instrument on the guitar and you managed to do it great. I think there are some small problems with the mixing but its a great job overall. Congratulations!

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL!! what mix? :lol: I just pre panned 4 tracks and started recording. fx were stock patches on my unit and the bass was straight into the soundcard. I Just had a bit of free time and I always fancied working out something like this. I should have spent more time with it but I am concentrating on originals these days and I distract myself enough as it is. Some of the timing is suspect and that is because I imported an orchestral mp3 into cubase and tried to work it out as I went along. I should have used a click track.

Anyway thanks for the compliments, it means a great deal coming from you mate :thumb:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,660 Posts
Awesome entry, Goport. As was the case with your "She Knows" post, I really dig the pull on your vibrato with the acoustic. Rushed as it were, it was still a great interpretation. Ironically, "She Knows" followed this tune on my iTune playlist, so your entry was almost like a "Broons Bane" intro into that song. :thumbup:

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THank you both :D

Joe: this was recorded on my ibanez rg470 and run into a nylon acoustic patch on the VG88 - the reverb was on the patch.

KCAR: Broons Bane - I like that a lot. :thumb:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Great tune Porty , really very clever stuff , the playing is fluent , and sparse , the instruments have space to breathe , and the Melody you picked out is simply ace . In this present climate it made me proud to be British .And as for the 7th chord at the end , well that is sheer genius . Im sure this will do very well in the comp , Great post !:thumb:

·
I GARAWWWNTEE!!!!!
1,799 Posts
Very, very nice piece Goport my friend, very nice :D . Incredible likeness of nylons on the guitars, and I have to agree with Joe that the timing issues only added to the arrangement. Had that real "old world" feel to it.......and in an hour?..Big respect!:icon_thum :icon_peac

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rhythameen, Linda, Bluesplayer and JPF. Sincerely many thanks. I actually thought there were a few teething troubles with the comp this month so I actually only did this to make up the numbers. I was going to record the Sex Pistols version of God Save the Queen as a little joke but I really haven't got the voice for it :) Then I thought about the real national anthem, but Brian may already did a fantastic version and it was bound to look pretty poor in comparison to his :) So it came down to Rule Britannia and I found a lovely mp3 with kettle drums and a huge orchestral arrangement. I just tried to work out the main lines of it and arrange it for acoustic guitar. I originally did the bass on guitar but it sounded a bit odd so I went with the bass guitar (and struggled as always :lol: ). it turned out ok but I really would have loved to extend it and put the drums in too.

Once again, many thanks for the listens and the kind words.

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Ender - technically I suppose it is a guitar synth but hey, the bass is real :lol:

Lol!! Thanks DB, Glad you liked it :thumb:

·
Registered
885 Posts
This is just great work Goport. The arrangement is top notch and the production is great too. It made me smile.

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Phil and Sling. I haven't got a snowballs chance in hell of winning but hey - this was fun :thumb:

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hahaha someones taken 2 of my stars :thumb: :lol:

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,842 Posts
Goport said:
hahaha someones taken 2 of my stars :thumb: :lol:
Sorry, I needed to borrow them for that topless lady that passed through here.:shock: :lol:

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
damn! I missed that :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.