Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an old Kramer guitar (Striker300st), dated ' 88, and the f*=ker is keeping me up at night. The guitar itself looks real good concidering it's age and use, but it won't stay in tune. The trem is a floyd rose II. The "local shop"-guy told me theese budget-guitars of the late eightees often has problems when it comes to tuning. "it stays in tune, as long as you don't touch the trem", he said while laughing. (MF!) This is NOT an option. When i bend it drops, and when i use the bar, it goes up again. So, is there anybody out there with some hot tips as to how i can fix this. Someone else told me it might work to change springs, wich i suspect has never been changed. Another tip was to change the saddles on the floyd, but i will not buy new one's until i know this will work. Luckily, i didnt pay a fortune for it, but the guy who sold me the guitar told me it was in mint condicion before he sent it to me, so i better not ever meet him! My risk, however.. Payed ca 100$ for it, so its not a great loss if theres no hope... Haak - Norway

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use 4 springs instead of 3 for the trem, new ones should make a difference too, or you can get a hipshot tremsetter (30 bucks or so), it's supposed to be a good stabalizer though I've never tried one myself..

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would start by looking at all the obvious places where friction is an issue. Starting with the nut, and machineheads. The nut can cause so much trouble! But I am guessing this guitar has a locking nut, right? If so, then you only need to concern yourself with the bridge itself. Check the posts where the bridge plate pivots. If they are worn, this won't help stability at all. The good news would be that it's damn easy/cheap to replace the posts. Make sure the springs are well seated in their mountings. No need to change them. They don't go "off". Sometimes thet may come out slightly off their mounting, and that can give you trouble. Just make sure they're in place solidly.
Make sure there are no places where the bridge snags, perhaps against the wood cut-out at the bridge...
It may not be the best bridge in the world, but you should be able to get it to a useable stage, at least for moderate trem use.
It's hard to say much more without seeing the actual guitar. But in general, check the nut doesn't stick (and machineheads work properly, and strings are wound properly too...) or in the case of a locking nut, make sure it actually clamps the strings as it should. Then, check the pivoting posts...
And don't ex[ect an incredible performance from a 16 year old budget guitar :) It may still be pretty decent, but you can barely expect to perform as an Ibanez Jem, for instance...
Jose

·
Registered
515 Posts
Also, if when you bend a string you notice that the other strings go too flat... well, that's normal and one can learn to compensate for that. But you can set the guitar so that it doesn't go flat so much. All you have to do is increase the tension at the springs.
You can do that by adding a spring, or simply tightening the screw(s) holding the metal claw where the springs are mounted.
Bear in mind that as you increase the spring tension, the action will change... you need to re-tune and tighten a bit and retune etc etc etc little by little (it's tedious on a Floyd, but once you get it right, it should stay). You'll be increasing the tension at the strings too, so it'll feel a bit stiffer to play, but it won't go so flat.
Just try it and change it until you find the setting you like best.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, if you need fast replies, go to guitars101.com!!
Thanx guys..
Mcnach, you said i needed to check if the nut "sticks", and that it should'nt, and also if the strings are wound properly. You have to excuse me but i'm almost located at the Northpole, so my tech-english in'nt what it could be.. Could you clearify this for me? As for the other tips, i now have a few things to try out when i get home from work tomorrow morning. Thanx again.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You said its a Floyd Rose 2. which one? the rear loader or the double locking.
The rear loaders are notorious for being difficult. Being its a 300St it should have a locking nut as stated above. Going with 4 springs isnt always needed. I work on guitars for a living and deal with this almost daily. First and foremost make sure the Floyd is level with the guitars body. If its sitting forward you can tighten the claw screws and retune till its level. If its sitting towards the rear then loosen the screws and retune until level. The spring arrangement is as important as the number of springs itself. Try using a W pattern so you have one spring on each end of the bringe and one in the middle. With all 3 springs adjacent to each other on the spring claw. You can also replace the springs that are there with a heavier gauge spring to create more tension with less springs. Its a matter of equal spring vs string tension. A stable and properly adjusted Floyd will resist movement in all but extreme bends.
If this is a rear loading Floyd 2 its one huge pain. With the strings loading through the back of the bridge there is no positive clamp to stabilize the strings. Your best bet there is to order a set of Original Floyd Rose saddles and clamp screws and replace the rear loaders.
If you need more info check out El_jalapeno's sticky post on floyd roses. A ton of great information is available there.
VGB

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Great advice Guys
One other thing to throw over the wall: If you really like the guitar and the bridge is just crap, put in a licensed Floyd for under $100 and everything else should fall back into place.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a FL II, with a rear loader and a locking nut. The floyd itself "sits" on the body, like a book lies on a table. To me, a complete novice when it comes to floyd, it looks like this type of floyd can only be used to lower the pitch (dive), and not raising the pitch (pulling the bar). Unless its possible to adjust the system so that the rear end of the trem is raised above the body. I mean i've seen a picture s... Again, i'm no wiz, but the hole for the tremsystem is like a standard strat-style trem-hole, if you know what i mean. There's no spacing around the trem-plate so that the trem can go both up and down. (its hard expressing in english what im thinking in norwegian, bare with me..) The only thing i have'nt checked out yet is the "pivot-screws", and their state, and if the locking nut "locks" the strings the way they should, or if their slipping.. Maybe i was unclear earlier, but when the guitar is in tune, and i dive, the pitch has gone up afterwards. On all strings. And when i then bend the stings a certain amount, one by one, it raises the pitch to where it was in the first place. So if i bend all strings max, and then tune the guitar, it stays no matter what, until i use the trem again.. So im thinking it cant be the nut that holds the problem.
What you call clamp screws are the screws on the nut, yes? As to the tip on new parts, i'm thinking new saddles, and new rear loader. Isnt it wiser to buy a new floyd complete?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
El jalapeno, i might do just that, cause the guitar feels real good to me, and the sound of it was far more than i was expecting... It just eats me up to know that the guy who sold and sent it to me is sitting at home grinning his teeth off, knowing he got rid of a problem, and gave me one..
(feel the urge to go berserk, viking-style!)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
IF you replace the saddles with original floyds not floyd 2's you will have the same as an original floyd for all practical purposes. That will solve 99% of your problems.
VGB

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: old Kramer Striker issues...

vgb, what does the set of saddles cost? Aprox...
I noticed my saddles are very worn, the trem is chrome, but the saddles are black and "dry" where the string lies..
Is the Floyd II a copy, or is it a "not so good" version of the orig. floyd?

And it will still be a rear loader, wont it? Wich you said was shite..

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

It was just a cheaper copy of the original Floyd Rose but was made by the same company. A set of New original style saddles are about $60.00 US. Allparts is a good supplier and reliable. I just not sure if they ship world wide.
VGB

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanx. I'll try every tip i have gotten till now, and if nothin works, i'll buy the set. I'm sure my Local dealer has them, or at least can order them. I saw he had the d-tuna set on the counter last time i was there, so... Will write a post to tell you helpful guys how it went, if you care or not,,,

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

It could also be your knife edges are worn out. Take the trem off and have a look at them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Today i got some new springs an changed them. When i took off the orig. springs they were real slack as opposed to the new ones. The old ones were mounted parallell to each other, and the new ones i mounted diagonally. The middlespring straight, and the other two diag. The feel of the trem immediately got better, much tighter of course, but it also felt more presise in a way. So after tuning the guitar, it stayed pretty much in tune no matter what i did! Exellent!
However, with massive abuse of the trem, each string got out of pitch by not more than a tenth of semi-tone. A tiny bit. This i can live with, as i rearly uses the trem that violently. And im guessing this little snag will dissapear if i check out all the other issues you guys have mentioned here.. I think my knife edges (and i am assuming the "knife edges" are the ones resting against the pivot screws) are ok, at least just by looking real close with heavy lighting, but where the edges meet the screws, the screws are a bit worn. Can i give the screws a little turn to get the not so worn side up against the knife edges, or will this mess up the height of the strings to much? Im a little scared of dismounting the trem, but i realize that i might have to, to check theese things out properly. What do you say?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

If you turn the screws that will change your string height. If its playing fine then your all good. Glad all of our advise helped you out.
Keith
VGB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.