Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a PODxt today and have been messing with it for a while, but I am not sure that I have things set up right for the best sound possible. Is there anything I should check / change to get the best tone? Any feedback for this PODnewb will be mucho appreciated!

Heres a sound clip -


Rj
 

·
Ear Candy Distributor
Joined
·
10,268 Posts
You need to make sure it's set at the correct output...think it's between studio and live-check the manual. The add-ons are pretty impressive if you can run to another $99 for all three...Metal Shop, Classic and FX...they really do make the difference.

Finally, I always find it sounds great thru headphones and great once recorded BUT not so good thru a monitoring system...no idea why but the sound I GET doesn't sound the same when I'm recording with it. I'd use phones as the sound is tighter and more expressive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wahwah said:
You need to make sure it's set at the correct output...think it's between studio and live-check the manual. The add-ons are pretty impressive if you can run to another $99 for all three...Metal Shop, Classic and FX...they really do make the difference.

Finally, I always find it sounds great thru headphones and great once recorded BUT not so good thru a monitoring system...no idea why but the sound I GET doesn't sound the same when I'm recording with it. I'd use phones as the sound is tighter and more expressive.
Thanls for the tips dood - I think I have it set up right - check the sound clip in the previous post - I added it while you were responding.

Thanks

Rj
 

·
Napoleon Dynamite
Joined
·
4,533 Posts
If you upgrade to version 2.14 of the firmware (the latest), you will be quite amazed at how much better the PodXT sounds live. I use mine through the effects return loop. I never liked the sound before this upgrade but I have to tell you, with the new settings, I am really digging it now. RJ, you made a good purchase and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx - folks - I appreciate the help. Yeah - I think I will like this quite a bit once I get used to it. I have done all of the updates (right off the bat upon turning it on for the first time) I notice that the POD is midi capable. I'm assuming that I can use the expression pedal that came with my Fender Cyber Twin to control the POD xt if I want - not sure on that though. The Fender pedal is midi - so I guess it would werk.

So far I have only run it through my computer - sounds pretty good. Next is effects loop on the Cyber Twin - we'll see!

Rj
 

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
Joined
·
3,114 Posts
great puchase rj. I was hesitant at first when line six came around,, then one day i took a chance and tried em,, and now i love em. I love the xtl i got which is same as yopurs. your gonna love it. if you got guitarport software to use with it,, get that and try it also. it rocks. wtg on your purchase. you can't beat line six's stuff for real amp simulation in my opinion. :icon_thum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmmm - I dont know - Im still kinda undecided about this. I just tried running it through the cybertwin and wasnt too impressed with the sound, but DI into the computer sounds pretty good. It's definitely nice for recording since I can record quietly even in the wee hours of the morning if I like. And of course no hassles with microphones, and cords and all of that stuff.

Im a little confused about the USB interface though - is it SUPPOSED to send the sound through the USB interface, or is that just for control of the POD via guitarport? As far as I can tell, you still have to send sound out via the L and R jacks. Is this right? Or can it record via USB only?
 

·
Napoleon Dynamite
Joined
·
4,533 Posts
rjfoster said:
Hmmmmm - I dont know - Im still kinda undecided about this. I just tried running it through the cybertwin and wasnt too impressed with the sound, but DI into the computer sounds pretty good. It's definitely nice for recording since I can record quietly even in the wee hours of the morning if I like. And of course no hassles with microphones, and cords and all of that stuff.

Im a little confused about the USB interface though - is it SUPPOSED to send the sound through the USB interface, or is that just for control of the POD via guitarport? As far as I can tell, you still have to send sound out via the L and R jacks. Is this right? Or can it record via USB only?
USB is for sound out too. Fire up Line 6 Monkey and make sure you bring EVERYTHING up to date. Also, if you are using the PODxt as you sound source, your app has to know that is where the sound is (in effect it replaces your soundcard). You will need to plug phones into the pod to hear anything as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stingx said:
USB is for sound out too. Fire up Line 6 Monkey and make sure you bring EVERYTHING up to date. Also, if you are using the PODxt as you sound source, your app has to know that is where the sound is (in effect it replaces your soundcard). You will need to plug phones into the pod to hear anything as well.
Where I was getting mixed up was that I thought you should be able to HEAR the POD when you use USB as a sound source. Guess not! So I have it setup as USB sound in from POD using th ASIO format in Samplitude, and then I send audio out of the pod and to my mixer so I can hear it too. Works pretty well I guess!

Thanks for the help!

Rj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
rjfoster said:
Where I was getting mixed up was that I thought you should be able to HEAR the POD when you use USB as a sound source. Guess not! So I have it setup as USB sound in from POD using th ASIO format in Samplitude, and then I send audio out of the pod and to my mixer so I can hear it too. Works pretty well I guess!

Thanks for the help!

Rj
There is probably a mute button somewhere that you have to undo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I decided to do a tune with the PODxt so here it is. It's (the dreaded) Stairway To Heaven. I used my strat on this one with tones designed for Stairway that I DLd off the line 6 tone library. All guitars on this one are via the POD exclusively. Sorry no leads (yet) I wasn't feeling THAT inspired! hehehehe

Enjoy!

Rj

Stairway To Heaven - Rj Style
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I hate to say it folks, but I returned the POD to Sam Ash. Its REALLY good at what it does, but since I have a cybertwin se sitting here, it really just didnt compare. IMHO I can get better tones out fo the CT than I can out of the POD so I returned it - but, I did get something else instead - a Fender Passprt P150 PA system.



The Passport is freekin amazing! This thing is 75 W per channel and has GREAT sound - and is very loud too! I am totally impressed with its power and sound - considering it comes in such a small package. This thing could easily be used to play a small venue like a small night club so long as you have an external mixing board to go with it. I plan on using it to do a jam session here at home on the 4th of july this year - there will probably be about 100 people here and this thing could handle that fine!

Sorry to bail on the POD - but I just couldnt justify keeping it. :(

Rj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
hmmmm, stairway, i will listen when I get home, I like zeppelin a lot. sorry to hear about all your problems with the pod, I can say this, your guitars sound awesome with or without it.

FatesWebb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top