Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vai, he does so weird shit, but i heard that he meditated, starved himself, and didn't play for weeks before he recorded For the Love of God. I heard he had clots in his fingers too. Any trueth in this? im pretty sure its 100% accurate, wouldn't surprise me though, have you heard for the love of god? maybe thats why mine sucked haha

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
ive never heard this before . but knowing Vai .. its very possible . FTLOG is truly a work of art .. you dont just compose something that good .. it has to come from something even deeper .. even more meaningful . its very possible thats how he got it . i think the main thing came about through the first chord vamp though . the one he got from Zappa ... and he says he sorta sang the melody for it .. im asuming he meant the bit at the start .. he said he sang it .. cause you get something different by singing something cause you rely on your ears and not your knowledge of the freatboard and scales .. whatever he did .. it was well worth it . and its a truly spectacular peice . an extravaganza of guitar genius

·
Registered
886 Posts
He actually did fast for 10 days or so. This is a usual thing for him as he does it regular to rid toxins from his body or something. He also abstains from sex apparently.

FTLOG has a very similar melody to the 70's series 'Kung-Fu'.

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
lol Mickey Dannyboy and Phil ... the creators of the Vai Bible

·
Registered
33 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
I didn't know any of this, but one thing is certain, Vai has a very different approach to life than most of us.
Yeah

He is a fruit loop :woot:

At least Hendrix was just a junkie who liked the odd tipple :rock: , but he had all his marbles in check :p

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
this is the vai forum . dont post negative shit about him in here . post it somewhere else lol . we all idolise the guy :) ... i do think hes different in his approach .. but maybe his way is the perfect way to be .. who knows ... he seems happy and thats all that matters :) good for him for finding a way of life that makes him content :) :icon_peac

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
I read an article where he said that he would go fast, my mom does that as well as mentioned above to clean out toxins. Of course it hasn't helped her guitar playing any! And no one should ever call Vai a NUT! Vai rules and if you don't like it then in the words of the old DX posse..........SUCK IT ha ha ha ha

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
i agree from the heart of my bottom .. or is that the bottom of my heart .. either way . well spoken dude

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dtb... do you see a sign in this forum saying Hank Marvin? Oh im sorry i must have missed the memo furing my recent absentee in which the steve vai forum was relocated to make way for a hank marvin forum. maybe i over looked the part in the front cover of passion and warefare where it said, "we may be human but we're still Hank Marvin lovers!" perhap swhen i logged onto vai.com i missed the Hank marvin link...

haha im just jkoking, i was just watching john safran and he does that alot.. hahaha

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would like to see more Videos of Vai's stuff.

I remember the one he did with that track from passion and warfare were his head stuck out the TV tube, that was sorted stuff.

·
Banned
156 Posts
dtb said:
He spent wayyyyyyyy to much time with Zappa.

Now Hank Marvin ! theres a legend :bowdown:
Im sorry but I cant help but be bothered by this statement. For one, Steve's idol is Frank. For two, my idol is Frank. For three, - The guy is a (the) genius of our time. For four - Spent way too much time with zappa? Only 4 years or so (do you consider about 8 or 9 albums out of 62 that much?). Listen to a tune like Lucky Charms or Bullwhip and tell me he isn't practically taking Zappa out of the grave to help him write tunes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lydian said:
Im sorry but I cant help but be bothered by this statement..
I think your misreading my posts :nunu:

I am chucking a few one liners around in a bid to raise a smile, my personal opinion of Vai is that he is an amazing player and a nice bloke.

Perhaps English humour dont go down to well :(

By the way , I grew up on Zappa.

:werd:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts