Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Justforthisvai vs andrewtheshreddr (10 votes to win)

• Justforthisvai

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • andrewtheshreddr

Votes: 9 64.3%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Justforthisvai vs andrewtheshreddr

Ok, this was great. Just to play it was great. Its a piece that really flows and the music is just great. When I played this I was moving around and jumping on my chair. Its great, and no matter who wins it was fun. Its all about playing and music. I'm sure Andrew will do great too. It could be more his type of peice. I have not added any effects to this, should I? Here it is. I hope you like it, and I hope it sounds as great as it was playing it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
hey aman.. i still have ur pick u lent me, ur special green one :notme: :wutblau: oops
btw, wow NICE playing!!! great harmonizer tone!!.... wonderful man.... !!!

anyways, i experimented a bit with tone on mine and since i was bored, i decided to throw in all aspects of my playing into this jam (actually, looking back, im not so sure that was a good idea), like lots of sweeps and fun things like that hehe... i put in a very weird ending :icon_eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You've put in a lot more thought into this than I have. Yours is great to listen. I really think I just took it like I always do and just play 1 time and play what comes. I go with the flow of it, but it works really well when you think about it and come up with great motifs and melodies the way you did. The motifs are the best part of yours. You know, I'm actually the type of person that always has to win, but I'm just thinking now, its just great to do this, and no matter who wins, we'll have a great time. Your playing is always great to listen to. I mean what you've been playing for 3-4 years and I've been playing for about 4 years, but its that we put ourselves into the music that brings it out like this. I definately did not use as many different types of techniques but I had a great time. Yours is just great.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Went with Andrew on this one, just a better overall feel for me. I like the thought that went into it, with all the motifs and things. Justforvai, yours was nice too, sometimes it's great just to grip it and rip it, but like I said, Andrew's worked better for me this time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know. I took it more as a jam which I thought it was, but Andrew's making it more into a song, with motifs and melodies and all worked. Motifs work. I think both have different sounds. Though I ususally try to be more melodic than technical, the harmonies were less melodic in mine than usual this time.:crazy:

Like I was saying, I'm the type of person that has to win always, and its hard when you don't,:ball:, but I think thats what this is all about, learning, getting better, and having a great time. Thanks for your comments. COmments and suggestions are always good, for anyone.

Thanks.:smirk: :icon_peac

·
Registered
183 Posts
Andrew has a better works on this one and Justforthisvai's fx didnt help for the whole tune,maybe in some parts would've helped more.

Anyways both were great takes :woot:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Seq said:
Andrew has a better works on this one and Justforthisvai's fx didnt help for the whole tune,maybe in some parts would've helped more.

Anyways both were great takes :woot:
What do you mean?

Sometimes I think just that the way you sense the piece and the way that you just pick up and let the music flow through you works better. I know that this isn't and, doesn't sound like, my tightest playing,:doh: , but I decided this time I would focus on the flow of the piece and controlled playing (though I know I go off at times, into playing something thats a little fast), and I think thats why I ddin't really try to put in a lot of technique to this piece. You're right about it though. It does sound, more like a jam in terms of its flow.

:grin: I'm just happy to play and I'm still happy with it. Thanks for the comments and thanks everyone else that will give any. I really like to see what people have to say and how they think I can get better. Also, its really nice when people say you play well, which must be good for Andrew.
Well done, I think this is headed your way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
both really kickass but very different!

just for this vai,,,, ,there is so much emotion in your playing, i see what you were talking about /\ /\ /\.......your playing is alive,, its talking......

andrew,,,, very kickass mixture of so many killer things :icon_thum

i have to go with vai , cause that take made me look down smile and nod my head a few times,,,doesnt happen very often.......hands down

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks. Really. I'm not that new here, but I haven't been on here and its really nice to hear things like that. Given that I've played for about 4-5 years, do you think, I should be better? I'm just asking this becuase I know people here are very good, but everyone is alos very open here and thats great for everyone.:notme: :icon_peac

·
Registered
299 Posts
Justforthisvai said:
Given that I've played for about 4-5 years, do you think, I should be better? :notme: :icon_peac
they say everything comes with practice.....thats true but also a bit stupid,,,if you sound pleasent to the ear,cool! afterall that IS the bottom line in music nomatter what ,and it will never change, so you asking about being "better" .......getting plugged into your soul isnt something that comes with time and practice , let it flow........thats the winner card.....

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
music is a very personal thing.. something that might not sound too good to you, might sound perfect for someone else.. it just depends on your own personal interpretation of "good" :D
:thumb:

·
Registered
575 Posts
both tracks were played pretty cool.but i think there was bad use of fx on both tracks. i feel that when 2 much fx are used it takes away a lot of feeling and emotion from a song. but not allways sometimes it can create feeling, but not in this case. you are both good players i voted for andrew on this one as there was more feeling to it.although the fast runs kind of ruined it due to poor technique(please dont take offence to that as i dont mean to be offensive) im forever criticising my own playing too. i feel its the only way to get better. well done both of you

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Its Ok

Its Ok, I know what you mean. Its the whole idea of a guitarist using distortion and effects, to cover up for their playing. Well, something like that, but I do know what you mean. Thanks. I was trying this stuff out and sometimes its good to experiment with a certain sound and certain effects. Again, like I've said every time, I had fun, and thats that. Thanks.:jot: :thumb:

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
i had to go with justforthisvai , both were pretty good .. but i agree with chris there was way too much effects and show pony type noises , i didn't really think this backing called for shredding really at all .. but that's just me

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks

Thanks. The take you did is amongst the best for this. I agree that its not a song meant for, well, very fast playing, but I did get caught up in some places.:devilchil :woot:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had to go with Andrew. Didn't think the end was the best. I think both were great!!! I couldn't tell vai had only been playing a few years. If so, GREAT playing!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Justforthisvai said:
What do you mean?

Sometimes I think just that the way you sense the piece and the way that you just pick up and let the music flow through you works better. I know that this isn't and, doesn't sound like, my tightest playing,:doh: , but I decided this time I would focus on the flow of the piece and controlled playing (though I know I go off at times, into playing something thats a little fast), and I think thats why I ddin't really try to put in a lot of technique to this piece. You're right about it though. It does sound, more like a jam in terms of its flow.

:grin: I'm just happy to play and I'm still happy with it. Thanks for the comments and thanks everyone else that will give any. I really like to see what people have to say and how they think I can get better. Also, its really nice when people say you play well, which must be good for Andrew.
Well done, I think this is headed your way.
I mean is not too pleasent to the ears a long solo with an octave high,you can use an extra note to reinforce a passage or a melody,even worst is to play a high note with a high octave,kinda redendant.

But your playing was smooth,keep it up!!! :drunk:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, thanks

Ok, thanks. I liked the sound of it for some reason, but I can see why you don't. Music can, and will, sound different to different people. There are some things that are the same, like the fact that Vai soudns like Vai, but therse types of things can be. Thanks all you guys for your comments. This is what this place is about here, not the winning. Thanks for saying it soudns like I've been playing longer, but I don't think I'm that good. Lets see what happens now. :nunu: :icon_thum

1 - 20 of 29 Posts