Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mondola did an AWESOME job on this music. To think about all the crap this guy has been through and he still manages to crank out a classic like this is incredible. He was my first collaborator on this site and it's been too long in between. He's back though and he's packing. I just hope I didn't ruin this for ya mate. Thanks for thinking of me on this one.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Mondy!! First off...great tone!!! Very well played!! Those chords ring like Eric Johnson..best I have heard to date from you...my accross the pond friend!! Brother Toast..this is awesome man!!! Great colab!!

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Beautifully played and sung guys

Great collab, guys. VanMan I remember now, your voice reminds me of a young Donald Fagan.

Mondola your tone is beautiful on this. Well done sir.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This was awesome guys, just a killa collab, outstanding job by you both!!!

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
awesome tones, gr8 everything. one helluva collab. This one's a keeper all Pro!!!!!

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Wow !!! Thanx for all the nice comments peeps !!!

A little history on this one. As you may or may not know, VanMan and myself are pretty big Marillion fans. Thus we've both listened to this song a million times between us. No kidding !!! I must have about 20 copies of it, as does the Toastmeister !!!

Anyway, we both really wanted to do this song justice, and as we both know the song well, that's taken us both a while to get it to somewhere we both are pleased with !!!

I myself took 299 takes, and spent 3 and a half hours on the recording of this alone (take after take after take after take
). Not to mention the number of weeks spent perfecting the tone, and figuring out the solo !!!

Anyway, I truly believe that this is the first time I've posted something up that is up to the standard of the rest of the site. Also, it was nice for VanMan to not have to polish a turd this time, so his job was made a little easier !!!
He did a great job, on a bloody difficult song to sing.

Anyway, I really enjoyed recording and listening back to this track, and I'd like to dedicate this to all those people who've given me loads of advice, because otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to contribute to this (I believe, anyway) high standard....

These are including, but not limited to :
<ul type="square">[*]Toast himself, for believing in me
[*]wahwah, for believing in me more than I do myself, and for introducing me to Cakewalk and the "as many takes as it takes" method
[*]CanyonCarver, for always providing constructive feedback on everything I do, and another believer in "do umpteen takes, and pick the best one" method...
[*]eric, for providing the means...
[*]Ej, for offering constant tips on playing and guitar setup...
[/list]
I did this properly this time. Restrung the guitar (the correct way round), tuned it, played it in, and then did several hundred takes to get it right !

So thanx to everyone for getting me this far, and let the journey continue !!!

Oh yeah, and finally, I feel as though as I have accomplished something, now that I have my very own sign !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the shout out Mondo, but you're the star of this one. I don't really think I did it justice the way I would have liked, but then again I'm a perfectionist prick. You kicked ass on this one. BTW, you never said if you liked the finished version, lol.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I recently said...

Also, it was nice for VanMan to not have to polish a turd this time, so his job was made a little easier !!! He did a great job, on a bloody difficult song to sing.

Anyway, I really enjoyed recording and listening back to this track, and I'd like to dedicate this to all those people who've given me loads of advice, because otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to contribute to this (I believe, anyway) high standard....

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that covered it

But in case I didn't make myself clear, I loved it mate. You really completed it mate !!!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Great work Mondy...was feeling a bit bad about nicking VM for the HFT track
but looks like he had it all in hand from the start! Nice to hear you getting the recording side sorted out mate...it opens up a whole new world via the net. Great singing by the way VanMan...now get on with that other VH track we're doing before I SPANK ya with a bit of 4" x 2"!

WELL DONE BOTH!

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
You know me, wahwah. I was only joking !!!

Just ironic that I texted you saying there was a queue, and somehow you managed to jump it !

But I now realise that he was aiming for perfection with my tune, which is why it took longer to reach the public domain. Heh heh heh. I'll just go and get my Armani coat, yeah ? Do you know who I am ?

Anyway, cheers for listening. Get that studio sorted out so I can rip some riffs off of you !!!

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
ok .. i'm officially blown away ! .. mondola .. you've improved absolute light years in the last year or so ... wow is all i can say ! ..

i haven't heard this song before myself .. but it's catchy i like it ! .. van man great kick ass signature toast vocals as per usual ! ..

real great work mondola keep it up man

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
Man this was a awsome tune!....Mondy killa tone bud!!..Vanman killa vocals!!

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Fantastic cover tune, gents!
Van, as always, great singing.
Mondo, we all knew (except you
) you could pull great things off. Thanks for the props, but I wasn't the one recording 125 takes in the middle of the night, with sweaty and sore earlobes from the constant pressure of the headphones.

Thanks for sharing, folks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts