Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeezuz, there are a lot of Zeppelin posts these days :)bannana_g).
Well, here's another one. :laugh:

This is from my forth-coming album, "Dark Horse" (released under Bluesplayer Records ;) ). i've been working on this one for a while and just need to call it good for now. I played all bass, acoustic and electric guitars. The drums come from a MIDI file that I rendered using a couple different SoundFonts which I layered and panned. I will revisit this song again and ad the leads and a smoother ending. Just gotta move on for now. Hope you dig.

Attachments

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Just let the good Zep medicine do it for ya KC!! Feels nice!! Sounds great!!
(you have been listening to too much Rush with an intro like that...but I have done it before as well....lol) Fantastic job!! :rock:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3fingers said:
....(you have been listening to too much Rush with an intro like that...but I have done it before as well....lol)
Haha LOL. You're a good man, Serj! :thumb: Ya know, it's not too late to throw them vocals down??? Offer's still open. I know your waiting list is like 8 weeks long or something. :doh: But have a go at it if you fancy. :thumbup:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Love it! You'll know by now I'm not a huge Led Zep fan...never NOT liked them; just not with the same gusto as my North East Bud Bluesplayer (you shoulda seen his solo with a violin bow in 1982 mate....fooking brilliant with the tape delay going an all) but appreciate the stuff and all the nuances that doing a Led Zep track demand on musicians.

When the opening power chords chords start, I thought Alex Lifeson (Lakeside Park) then remembered that Alex worships Jimmy so it all makes sense. Further down the guitar tone gets a bit fizzier but still very listenable...liked the blend of acoustic and electric, and that was the point with a lot of Zeppelin wasn't it?

Muchos respectos for working this hard man....and good work. :thumb:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I love led zeppelin, hey man, great job!! I like the way the stereo is panned for the guitars. interesting fx.

Also I am ignorant, so I dont understand the comment about listening to rush...

FatesWebb
www.vocals101.com

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
Beautiful playing Chief!!:D

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Now then now then now then Mr Page :shocked: this is stunning , firstly the acoustic at the begining is crisp and clear and played as smooth as a nut , it has some slight chorus on it which is tasty , i do like the way you keep the timing uniform , this tune is tricky to keep right . when the electric is added is sits in just superb and sounds gorgeous , at 0025 you go from mono to stereo which is so good . from then on it just gets better , your attention to detail is to be admired , at 01 19 you have put in the ringing D which is often overlooked . Dude this really rocks , your bass is class , much better than midi , Dude you have to finish this , its a crying shame , this is the best thing ive heard in ages , maybe Serg could slap on some vocals ...... very nice indeed :icon_thum

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Brilliant !! I too am not the biggest Zep fan in the world but this my friend is brilliant !!
Like it a lot !!!:icon_thum

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
very impressive throughout. Your production values are improving at an alarming rate. Good playing too mate :thumb:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Oh man, I've got some good friends here on G101. Thanks tons for stopping by and having a listen (Wahwah, FatesWebb, SG of the STD galaxy, Rain, ScottParnell, Bluesplayer, Geordie, PodGod, Goport)

wahwah said:
You'll know by now I'm not a huge Led Zep fan...never NOT liked them; just not with the same gusto as my North East Bud Bluesplayer (you shoulda seen his solo with a violin bow in 1982 mate....fooking brilliant with the tape delay going an all)
Oh man, I would love to have experienced THAT! That's something you can't translate to a recording. I was only 11 at the time though. No wonder you two are so good and experienced.....you've been jamming since the dawn of time! :laugh: Only playing with you, of course.

wahwah said:
When the opening power chords chords start, I thought Alex Lifeson (Lakeside Park) then remembered that Alex worships Jimmy so it all makes sense.
I tell ya what...you, 3Fingers and Goport have got me figured out. I could post a recording of me sneezing and you could respond with, "Whoa!!! I haven't heard anyone sneeze like that since Alex Lifeson between The Trees and By-Tor way back on the Hemisphere's tour," and you know I'd be a happy guy.

Fateswebb said:
I dont understand the comment about listening to rush...
These guys just know how much I like RUSH and Alex Lifeson and know how to make a guy feel good.

bluesplayer said:
...the acoustic at the begining is crisp and clear and played as smooth as a nut....
It fookin should be after 84 takes. :laugh: I probably spent 3 hours practicing and recording the intro alone!

bluesplayer said:
...i do like the way you keep the timing uniform , this tune is tricky to keep right....
Well, I certainly learned that lesson the hard way. I started by using the intro from the MIDI file like a metronome, but realized that it was originally programmed at one speed throughout the whole song, which was way too fast for the intro. Upon review of the original, i realized the song starts out fairly slow and gradually builds up speed during the intro. So i abandoned the MIDI intro metronome track and just played it by feel.

bluesplayer said:
...Dude you have to finish this
I will for sure...probably not too far down the line. I will probably expand the lead section a bit as well and throw some of my own stuff in there too. I just really desperately need to switch gears for a while and begin re-working my portfolio Website, as I am currently looking for a better job, so I needed to get some sense of short-term closure on this project for now.

POD GOD said:
Cool use of effects throughout the tune!
Thank yourself a bit there too, Chuck. Many resources and tutorials I have obtained from you my friend. Never will I forget your willingness to help a guy out!

Goport said:
very impressive throughout. Your production values are improving at an alarming rate. Good playing too mate :thumb:
Thanks Lorenzo. Just trying desparately to catch up with the likes of you and BP on the production techniques. As I have mentioned to you before, your recordings have inspired me to raise the bar on myself with my recording endeavors!:thumbup:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Like yourself KC , i never realised that just about all Zepp acoustic tunes start off very slow , and end up fast !, it makes it concrete to play . i tried to put in all the tempo changes in cubase :scratch: but it dont work right , the only way to do it properly is to play along with the original . but you seem to have learned the first lesson . you are on your way to becoming a true Zepp Jedi !.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Axe and Bully for checking it out. I love recording music and would do it just for that joy right there, but it is way better fun when your musical colleagues (so-to-speak) dig your jam!

Art, if I am on my way to becoming a Zepp Jedi, you represent to Yoda figure in this analogy.

·
Registered
574 Posts
KC... you did an awesome job.. WTG!!

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you Lace and SlingShot! Lace, I am just trying to catch up with the rate of reply on your Zeppelin megapost (Going to California)! By the way, can you ask Bo Bice if he will sing over my tune? :lol: Hey SLingBlade, if Bo can't do it, I'm kinda depending on you, buddy, to tackle these vocals. :D Whadya say??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts