Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i've been seeing a flurry of Zeppelin tunes posted in here recently, so I figure I'd better get my latest Zeppelin attempt posted before someone else posts it first (which is usually what happens with songs I'm working on :doh: ). I was hoping to finish this tune up a bit first, but I have too many other songs I'm working on currently to perform any more plastic surgery on this. I will most probably re-record the whole thing sometime in the near future.

This is my first serious attempt at recording a full tune since getting multi-track software (Nuendo). I performed all instruments (bass, acoustic guitars, electric guitars) except for the drums, which i pulled from a MIDI file and re-rendered (using PodGod's excellent tutorial on making BTs from MIDIs....Thanks PG! :bowdown: ) as wave files using SoundFonts.

There are consistency issues and mixing problems here and there (the lead section is probably the weakest part of this mix), but this is where I'm at currently with this song. I hope you like.

-Jeff

Attachments

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I heard this a while back and I love it. The clarity of the acoustic is great (did I detect a little paste in the intro?) But the stereo field is good and the playing is lovely. And I love the harmonies in the electric part - but for some reason I can detect a certain mr lifeson in there .. could you be a fan? :lol:

Great cover!! and a great ending ;)

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
El_jalepeno said:
Very Nice KC. Great Job! Nice kick in the balls when the electrics came in :thumb:
Thanks EJ. I appreciate the listen and leaving a comment. The ball-kicking section could be way better, but I will just have to spend more time noodling with it.

One question, oh great Yoda of the Mods: Did you use "The Force" to review my file, as it says no one has viewed it yet. :scratch: Man, i know I'm new at being a Mod and all, but I guess i need to take that night course at the community college so I can learn all these ninja Mod techniques.:chucks:

:icon_peac

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goport said:
The clarity of the acoustic is great (did I detect a little paste in the intro?) ....
Not sure what you are referring to, Porty. Can you expand por favor? The intro is 4 seperate acoustic guitar tracks, panned to varying degrees. I played them all separately to get somewhat close to the 12-string effect (since I don't own one :cry: ). I try to avoid the copy/cut/paste thing as much as I possibly can. i won't say there isn't any in this recording :notme: but I try not to do it if I can help it. Thanks for checking this out again (and for the feedback the first time around). :thumb:

Look, I know it rubs you the wrong way and all, but you're just gonna have to get use to the Zivojinovich influence in my playing. ;) I just plain can't help it.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
This is one of my fav Zep tunes. Thanks for covering it.
You did a good job.
I like the accoustic tone and all the little fills you put in there. Impressive layering and production! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I can really appreciate the hard work you have put into this! Its beautifully played and layered out + not one sour note.....fun ending too!!! BRAVO!
:jam:

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts
awesome job on a classic tune KC! You did a great job on this one man! I love this zep tune,, and you do it justice on this. wtg!:rock: :rock: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Bro I remember a few weeks back you sent me the tune and we discussed some things about it and I tell you what...I think you got it down pretty tight. The distortion on the speakers was very minimum as well since I know everyone's systems are different. I really cant say of anything I would improve upon man! Great job!

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I had another listen mate and it is probably my duff ears. I thought I detected a sharp drop off before the first acoustic run but then I am a very messy player, so I am judging you by my low standards. Pay no heed. this is a quality cover. Just don't go using your influence to get in fights at night clubs :thumb:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Goport said:
Just don't go using your influence to get in fights at night clubs :thumb:
Too late. Haven't you seen my avatar???

If you are referring to the first harmonized run (which is really more like a fast walk :lol: ), you may be hearing some inconsistancies due to the fact that those were punch-ins on separate tracks that I put in after I recorded the rhythm guitars (an after thought). This recording truly was a bit of a Frankenstein (as far as being pieced together). I didn't do much cut/copy/paste, but i did do a lot of punching in (in other words, this is not really supposed to be heard as a "live" recording as much as me just trying to figure out the best way to record it). To be honest, I recorded this song in parts, as I was learning it! :icon_redf I also did a lot of punching in as ideas were developing. I would actually call this a development demo more than a finished piece. It took me a number of times (I probably re-recorded this whole song 3 or 4 times through) while trying to figure out how I wanted to divide up the chords and harmonies between multiple guitars. I would love to wake up on a Saturday morning and spend all day re-recording this whole tune, now that I know how I wanna play it. And hopefully I can do this sometime soon, but I've also got a few other recording projects that I am working on, so this will have to do for now. :icon_peac

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
kc_artist_rocker said:
Thanks EJ. I appreciate the listen and leaving a comment. The ball-kicking section could be way better, but I will just have to spend more time noodling with it.

One question, oh great Yoda of the Mods: Did you use "The Force" to review my file, as it says no one has viewed it yet. :scratch: Man, i know I'm new at being a Mod and all, but I guess i need to take that night course at the community college so I can learn all these ninja Mod techniques.:chucks:

:icon_peac
LOL, takes a few minutes to refresh download counts. Do or do not: There is no Try

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Super job with it KC! Great mix! Very well played. Awesome version! :icon_thum :icon_thum

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
strat78 said:
I can really appreciate the hard work you have put into this! .....fun ending too!!! BRAVO!
THanks a lot everybody who listened and left a bit of commentary (BenCC, Strat, KeithVB, SLoB, ScottP, MiguelQuatroBeka(again :laugh: ), Goport (again :laugh: ), Linda, 3Fingers(again :laugh: ). Your comments are really appreciated!

Stratty, Goport and SLoB, I appreciate your comments about the ending. It is a great compliment in my eyes because it means you listened all the way to the end(!) which is kinda why I put it in there (a little bonus for the faithful reviewer :laugh: ).

Keep your eyes peeled for my next Zeppelin post, "Over the Hills and Far Away" which I am almost finished with and hope to post by the weekend!

·
Playin The Blues
1,990 Posts
Most Impressive KC ! First time I've heard anything of yours . Acoustics sound great and ya made this your own ! Now where's the vocals ???? Seriously ya shoulda seen bout gettin 3f to do sum vocals on it ! hahahah and I love the ending ! :icon_thum Great job Kc !

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
This is gr8 stuff, Jeff!!!:woot: The acoustic guitars sound fantastic!!! Exlnt playing, bro!!! :jam: Well done!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts