Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on the hunt for a used bass amp. I don't need anything outrageous but enough to compete with a live drumset and electric guitar. I seen several adds for keyboard amps (most notably the Peavy KB300). I heard of Keyboard amps being used for bass guitars. I wanted to know if one would suffice for my needs. What downside would there be going this route?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Well I've used a bass amp for a keyboard amp (Carlsboro 120w 1 x 15 combo) but I don't think you'd get the low frequencies you'd need for bass with a keyboard amp. The Carlsboro had a 5 band graphic and you had to knock the low end out or the keyboard samples were very bottomy. I'd say go for a bass amp as the bottom end is important in the mix live or in the studio.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Alternatively, you could bury the mids on your current amp to get some sort of low end for use until you can get something a little more suitable. I have used a guitar amp for bass before in a pinch, you won't get the real frequencies but I would tweak around with it and see what you can get.

·
Registered
174 Posts
WhiskeyJones said:
I've been on the hunt for a used bass amp. I don't need anything outrageous but enough to compete with a live drumset and electric guitar. I seen several adds for keyboard amps (most notably the Peavy KB300). I heard of Keyboard amps being used for bass guitars. I wanted to know if one would suffice for my needs. What downside would there be going this route?

Thanks,
Alex
I have a friend that has a peavy keyboard amp that she usesfor her bass and she hates it. She is constantly saying that she wants a real bass amp. Hope that helps you some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts