Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Guy who says Habutashi
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tour did Eddie stop playing keyboards live? Anyone know?

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
it was after the OU812 tour in 88 .. i may be wrong though the 5150 tour could have been the last .. definately by 91 though he'd stopped ...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Yea, by the FUCK tour he stopped. It's ashame cause I always dug that.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
so he did play keyboards on the ou812 tour ?

i'm just trying to remember my japan video and i have this vague memory of him playing when it's love or why can't this be lvoe just wondering if my memory is correct hehe

Stig

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I saw Monsters of Rock in 88 I think he played the keys on 1 or 2, memory is a little fuzzy . Not in 91 at all.

Slightly off topic, you know one song I didn't like when Ed played keys was JUMP on the 84 tour. I though he should have played guitar for part of the solo, I guess you only got 2 hands! I liked the arrangement better on jump 91-95 with Ed on guitar and the keyboard guy off stage or the prerecorded keys.

The best key song for me has to be Mine all Mine. What I didn't like was Love Walks In, glad they didn't bring that one back for the 04 tour.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Stiglar said:
so he did play keyboards on the ou812 tour ?

i'm just trying to remember my japan video and i have this vague memory of him playing when it's love or why can't this be lvoe just wondering if my memory is correct hehe

Stig
yes he did stig, and that was the last tour he played Keys on I believe. I do have a version of Love Walks In from the 92 tour though that sounds like Ed playin keys and Sam on guitar. I'll have to dig that up.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
atomicpunk5151 said:
Slightly off topic, you know one song I didn't like when Ed played keys was JUMP on the 84 tour. I though he should have played guitar for part of the solo, I guess you only got 2 hands! I liked the arrangement better on jump 91-95 with Ed on guitar and the keyboard guy off stage or the prerecorded keys..
Yeah i agree with you there . jump just needs that guitar chunking away at the bottom .. just gives it so much more drive ... however i thought they did a pretty good job in the 84 tour .. had me rockin out a couple of times in boots hehe :rock:

·
Registered
48 Posts
The keyboards on the 92 tour were "canned" from what I gathered....similar to that on every other tour since too....and by "Canned" I mean some guy punches a button and they play by themselves..... I can't be 199% sure of that, but I can be 198% close to 199% sure.....and I know that's right on the most recent tour, cause I saw it myself from the side of the stage.... Now...OU812...for sure Ed Played them...in fact, you can head over to my web site (PLUG ALERT) at www.steveowabo.com and download the Tokyo OU812 show in VIDEO and see several occasions where he did just that....Frankenstrat at his waist...marlboro in his mouth....hands on the keyboards..... On a related note, I heard prior to that point, they made Mikey play keyboards cause they didnt want the fans to see their beloved "GUITAR" god playing keyboards.....wonder if that's true? Cause I thought he played them on 1984 tour.

·
Registered
21 Posts
on the 84 Tour, Mikey and Ed both played keys during I'll Wait & Jump. Not sure exactly why, other than Mike played "rythmn" keys while Ed did the solos. Of course, both keyboards were way up on top of the stage so Dave had the entire msin stage to himself.

·
Registered
150 Posts
^ I was about to mention it, I've seen that on my Montreal boot. Looks pretty weird to me, Mikey on keys?

I liked how Eddie played keys and Sam covered rythm/solo guitar on Love Walks In and WCTBL, but I doubt this would work for When It's Love or Not Enough. I have nothing against pre-recorded stuff.

·
Registered
628 Posts
ericjt said:
. Of course, both keyboards were way up on top of the stage so Dave had the entire msin stage to himself.
Geee, Dave would have really fought off that idea..."C'mon guys, I really need my backing band...um...my fella's with me up the front"

:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts