Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying a new guitar. Considering how much I admire EvH and since no one around my town owns a Kramer, I am sort of looking into the Kramer styles.

But according ot a friend of mine, I heard the newer Kramers aren't that good compared to the ones back then. Is it hard to find an older one? are the newer kramers worth buying. I would also like to hear your opinions on them. :toothless

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Eutow said:
I am planning on buying a new guitar. Considering how much I admire EvH and since no one around my town owns a Kramer, I am sort of looking into the Kramer styles.

But according ot a friend of mine, I heard the newer Kramers aren't that good compared to the ones back then. Is it hard to find an older one? are the newer kramers worth buying. I would also like to hear your opinions on them. :toothless
You try the pawn shops? Kramer seems fairly often seen in those places.

How much do your friends really know? Have you tried one out?

I have never seen a new one. I can't tell you. In fact I have never seen a new one, I always saw them in pawn shops and friends owned, purchased off street. I'm sure there are bad ones...never seen one though.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
New ones are made overseas compared to the old ones being USA made, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Depending on which model, you can get a good deal. And keep in mind, just because it cost a lot of money doesn;t even mean the same quality is there. I painted a Kramer 1984 recently for a friend, and compared to the Mean Street, there really isn't much of a difference except almost half the price for the mean street. It really comes down to what you expect oout of a guitar. If you want quality, you can find it on eBay at a good price. Buying brand new doesn't imply quality... I would stick to eBay.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
El_jalepeno said:
New ones are made overseas compared to the old ones being USA made, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Depending on which model, you can get a good deal. And keep in mind, just because it cost a lot of money doesn;t even mean the same quality is there. I painted a Kramer 1984 recently for a friend, and compared to the Mean Street, there really isn't much of a difference except almost half the price for the mean street. It really comes down to what you expect oout of a guitar. If you want quality, you can find it on eBay at a good price. Buying brand new doesn't imply quality... I would stick to eBay.
Problem with ebay is that each guitar is different. You can't check them out pre-purchase on ebay.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Right, you can't check it out, but you can sure tweak it and set it up as you see fit if the deal is right. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I agree with El_jalapeno.

I have a Kramer 1984 striped up as per the 5150 guitar. It looks and plays just damn fine. It isn't my main guitar, but that's because it does one thing and does it well, i.e. it's a straight forward out and out rock guitar.

:rock:

If I want versatility, then I use my Wolfgang and Ibanez. I can't say whether my Kramer is any "better" than the old ones, since I haven't had one to compare it to. However, it's a very nice guitar with a great neck. Hasn't had the wahwah seal of approval yet, but once he's finished with his studio, I'll take it up there and get him to play it through the 1984 patch on his POD !

Anyway, getting sidetracked there. From the guitar that I bought, I can state that the new Kramers are worth buying !

:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts