Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So Lets say I'm playing a C - D - E - G chord pattern and its my turn to solo we know that:

- the song is in the key of c

- I'm going to use the c scale

My question is does the C scale have all of the notes as the chords i'm playing?

Can I switch from the C scale To the D scale To The E Scale and then To the G scale or should i just stick with the C scale?

Lastly within the C scale do I haev to be isolated to just one particular pattern or can i mix the different patterns within the scale say i go from low to high then back to low is that possible?

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
Ok first off it would've been alot easier if you'd put all these questions in the same thread lol ...

as for the soloing thing and the chord patterns , theoretically you can change to D for the D chord or E for the E chord etc .. but it gets pretty damn chaotic and lots of notes to think about ... unless you really really know what your doing it'll sound pretty bad . my advice is :

play by ear ! ... learn the patterns and the sounds they make and play what you would sing over that progression . if you think one scale per chord your solo's will sound very scalic and most likely pretty boring !

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
diamondaveroth said:
My question is does the C scale have all of the notes as the chords i'm playing?
It depends what quality the chords are .. are they all major ? if so you cannot use the C scale over all of them ,

If it was a diatonic progression it would look like this :

C , Dmi7 , Emi7 , G7 ...

if that was the case you could ...

but as i said before use your ear and try not to get too bogged down in patterns and scales etc

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Just because your opening chord is Cmaj, it doesn't neccesarily mean that you are in that key. Also you haven't said whether the remaining chords are minor, major, 7th etc. If you played a Cmaj, Dmaj and Em then you could play in an Em scale or look to the 12th fret and try some pentatonic or blues scales. You just need some basic theory to get this sorted. :thumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Essentially all the chords have to match the notes played in the solo. But isnt the first chord or note played the key of the song and doesnt that mean that the solo is going to be in that scale and the other chords will just somehow work with that particular scale. Ie. C - D - E -G chords the Key is in C SO the solo will be in C Major and the D MAJOR chord E Major Chord and E Major chord shold somehow fit. thats what i understood through some internet lesson site. but if it doesnt fit i should play chords that are in the scale. I just checked out this Scale Generator..... The C - D - E - G chords are fine to play over top the C Maj. Scale because the D note The E note and The G note are in the C Maj. scale so doesnt that mean that it's possible to play those chords because the notes are in the scale or am i wrong?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'M WAYYYY confused.... :scif890: ...... It's so misleading... is their a site that has like illustrations that show what chords go with what scale. basically which chords go good with which scale and which Chord DOESN'T GO GOOD with which scale?

I need to know that what sounds good with what. which scale i should play for this particular set of chords. because all these websites have confused the heck out of me i feel that i'm not learning but going backwards. I just want to learn how to solo.

Thanks and god bless

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Just type guitar lessons into Google and see what you get? You will only get specific info on what you ask rather than starting from scratch. You just need to look at the basics. As you said D and E are both in the scale of Cmaj but they ain't in the scale of Cminor...that would be an Eb. But this is all worthless unless you get the basic grounding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But arent there chord patterns for a specific scale? So basically it would be a better idea to just use the chord patterns in the scale for the rhythm and just play a solo in that scale. would that be correct?

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
diamondaveroth said:
But arent there chord patterns for a specific scale? So basically it would be a better idea to just use the chord patterns in the scale for the rhythm and just play a solo in that scale. would that be correct?
Yeah, the chords make up a certain scale. I mean if you try and play a E major and you played all the chords as major, it would sound AWFUL because it's wrong...the scale is made up of a mix of major, minor and maybe in some instances, 7th or diminished chords. I'd say learn THESE basics. The Major and Minor scales (BASIC ones). Hear the difference between the happy, bright sound of the major and the dark broody sound of the minor. Learn pentatonic runs and then how to add the blues note...you'll be amazed how much of the blues scale is in the likes of Paul Gilbert' work. THAT will get you started. Listen to songs you love and try and work out what KEY it's in...then try and play a major, minor or pentatonic run over it...train your EARS before you train your fingers. NOW GO AND FIND A FOOKIN' BOOK OR I'LL START CHARGING BY THE HOUR!!! :icon_thum

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot guys I really appreciate the help you guys have given me. how can i ever repay you? You guys should check out my posts on creating a riff cause thats a little tricky for me to right now. thanks

God Bless you all

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You all so very much, it has helped me in my quest as a song writer. I really found a new found respect for songwriting and songwriters. Once again i'd like to thank all of you who donated their time and musical expertise to my cause. If you guys dont mind checking out my other post on how to create riffs thats an iffy topic for me.

Thanks

God Bless

1 - 12 of 12 Posts