Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lead Guitarist Competition!!!! - Classic Rock

Hey people!
How about a lead guitarist contest? Sound like something you are interested in? Here's how I was thinking this would work. I have finished adding all of the rhythm guitars for Aerosmith's Walk This way - now all it needs is a rippin ass lead player! So here we go:

A) Download and listen to the song.
B) If you think you can do the leads to this song AS THEY WERE WRITTEN BY AEROSMITH, then feel free to reply to this thread that you want to be a contestant. Contestants will be judged by their ability to emulate the sound and feel of the original leads.
C) The deadline for contest entry will be this coming Friday 02/04/05.
D) Spend the next week working on your chops, and then post your lead entry to this forum on or before Tuesday 02/08/05. (Post an mp3 of the lead parts only - I will mix it in to the track and post the result to the site.)
E) I will set up a poll that will allow everyone here to vote for the best player, and the results will be tallied on the following Friday 02/11/05 and the winner will be announced.
F) What will be the prize? I don't know! Maybe some one here has an item they would like to donate to the cause. Any ideas? Let me know.

(Hey Guitars101 - how about a free membership for the winner???? Wink - wink - nudge - nudge - say no more!)

Here is the tune that needs those leads! Keep in mind that I have already done the rhythms - all we need is some kick ass leads!!!

Walk This Way

Best of luck and I look forward to your entries!!!

Rj

·
Registered
886 Posts
Me too.:woot:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Black Star said:
is that you singing..........?
heheheh I wish, but no. The vocals were on the backing track with the bass and drums. I just did the rhythm guitars on this one.

Rj

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was listening to the Song, and thought that the rhythm guitars were a bit hot in the mix, so I fixed that and made some other minor improvements. If you have already downloaded the song, then you may want to get it again just so you're up to date. I don't forsee having to make any more changes untill the leads are all in.

Walk This Way

Rj

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wahwah said:
This sounds like great fun...bit o' funky lead. I'll give it a go. :jot:
Since you are one of the Mod Staff, do you think there is any chance that Guitars101.com might sponsor a free membership to the winner of this contest?

Rj

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wahwah said:
Well I can put it to the Boss Man? Watch this space... :grin:
Cool! I appreciate it!

Rj

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
We already have the monthly competition which does exactly this. If you guys want to put something informal together then that's fine but I don't want to take from the normal competition.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ericgtr said:
We already have the monthly competition which does exactly this. If you guys want to put something informal together then that's fine but I don't want to take from the normal competition.
Alrighty - I wasnt aware that went on elsewhere here on the forum. Thanks though!

Rj

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts
I been jammin with this track tonight. this track is longer than the original tune RJ. I got the solos pretty well darn close down and the end solo i have to extend because the original track faders out,, and this just goes on a bit more than original,, so you'll have to take that in effect when you judge all the solos . everyone will have to extend their last solo a bit. awesome rhythm sound ya got goin on as well. you actually made me finally sit down and learn the solos to rhis song. this song rocks! :rock: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scott Parnell said:
I been jammin with this track tonight. this track is longer than the original tune RJ. I got the solos pretty well darn close down and the end solo i have to extend because the original track faders out,, and this just goes on a bit more than original,, so you'll have to take that in effect when you judge all the solos . everyone will have to extend their last solo a bit. awesome rhythm sound ya got goin on as well. you actually made me finally sit down and learn the solos to rhis song. this song rocks! :rock: :thumb:
Well I can fade the song in the appropriate place if necessary, or we can just let it go as is. Oh - and I will not be judging the playing - the guitars101 community will be. I'll post up a poll after the entries have been turned in. I was thinking that I would make on mp3 that introduces each player followed by their lead so that all of the leads would be in one file. Sound like a good idea?

Glad you liked the rhythms on this - I spent a good deal of time tweaking the sound and mixing it up as best I could to get a killa sound! :) Do you think the rhythms are too hot still in the mix - or is it aout right?

Rj

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
I ain't even looked at it yet (been a busy bunny) and it's the wife's birthday tomorrow! If I get a chance today I will but if not and tomorrow being the deadline, I may have to pull out BUT if I do get anything down over the next week, I'll let ya's hear it.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sgstd said:
RJ...I get an error message when I try to d/l any of your links!!
The server seems to be working fine here. If you need me to email you a file let me know and I'll send it off to you. I am working on a better method of distributing files in the mean time.

Rj

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Changed Deadline

Since there havent been many entries into the contest yet, I decided to push back the entry deadline till this coming friday. The completion deadline of the next following friday still holds. I probably should have made the initial entry period longer from the start, but I thought there would be more interest than there has been so far.

At any rate - good luck to all who do enter!

Rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts