Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a stealth recording of my son drumming to The Ocean, with me playing guitar. I didn't tell him I was recording, otherwise he would have frozen... :lol:

He doesn't know the song so well yet, so this is a partial rendition, but I thought I'd post it as a proud father.

It was recorded with a microcassette recorder, one track mono.Don't expect sound quality here...

I applied some EQ and reverb later, to beef it up. I hope you like it.

The kid is 11 by the way. I hope he sticks to drums.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your compliments, I will make sure to show him the thread.

EddieMan2003, the kid's been playing for a little over a year and has recently taken a turn: I no longer have to suggest he should practice and play. Now he'll do it on his own. I think that's the key. I could only show him the way and get him good equipment. The rest is in his hands...
I should buy an ambiant microphone so we can record all this directly to the computer from now on.

sgstd, I certainly hope he's got talent. We'll see how he does in the future.

Weldaar, I really like the way his snare cracks too. His teacher tuned it up for him. Love that sound. Ludwig rules!

Karkki, that's what I do to stay close to my boy as he's growing to be a little man.:thumb:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Bravo! Kudos to you for posting this and encouraging your kid to play. He's doing quite well. My 12 year old nephew who plays guitar is coming over on Saturday morning to try and record "Diary of a Madman" which he can play about half of right now. It is not the most smooth sounding performance but he does know the song. I will post the results. Maybe we can hook the two up for an interstate cyber band! We would probably need to help them come up with a cool name though, ya know, like "Hanson."

:lol:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Please post what you will record. It's neat to let kids express themselves in other ways than setting scores on video games...
Will do. Here's one in the meantime. It is a quick recording we did of him playing "South of Heaven" by Slayer. This clip is only about 30 seconds or less and I had to do a little copy/paste action to piece it together, because this was the first time he had played along to a backing track, or made a recording for that matter. I had him play both guitar harmonies separately and then I over-lapped them so it would sound more like the original. Not the best recording but still rather surreal to hear a 12 year-old jamming to some Slayer!!!
:rock:

Attachments

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
So true indeed Ben!!...I think this little guy has a gift...and its awesome!!...I'm proud of him myself...as I know you sooo are!!!..Listening to kids express there talents makes you look at the everyday stress in life and smile!...Tell him I said he rocks!!..and keep it up!!:icon_thum :icon_thum
CanyonCarver said:
Please post what you will record. It's neat to let kids express themselves in other ways than setting scores on video games...

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Bloody hell, CC ! This is great. He's been playing a year hasn't he ? I remember you posting pics of the drums set that he would see Christmas morning...

He's coming along so well. It's a shame about the quality of the recording, but the playing is great, it really is ! He's definitely on the button, and is only going to get better and better.

You hope he stays on the drums ? Remember what happened when a certain Alex and Eddie swapped instruments...

:lol:

Great stuff though, I bet you are proud as punch. I gotta start playing heavier stuff to our unborn child to counterbalance the cheese it is subjected to at the moment. I can only hope that it likes some form of music.

You must be very proud mate. It's excellent stuff !

:thumb:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Sounds like he's on the right track......I sure wish my Dad would have bought me a drum set when I was 11 years old. I was stuck with tupperware bowls and pencils.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
CC, I think it's great you do stuff like this with your kid. My father was very cool when it came to doing things. Great clip! Sounds like the kid has the talent. I hope he sticks with it. It bothers the shit out of me to see kids that never move off the couch except to pee.

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts
Well CC,, I am glad to hear something from a father and son. Nothin' like doin something like this with your son. I'd be really proud of him too! He is doin really good on those drums from the sounds of it! I hope he sticks to playin em. my Mother asked me to try out the guitar for something to do when I was 13. I'm glad she did! I'm glad to see parents like you that enjoy doin' things like this with their kids.. You must have a blast doin this! I know I would. Tell your son he has got some talent there in his hands and dont let the drums slip away. Thanks for sharing this with us as well. Hearin stuff like this brings happiness to my heart when I see parents doin things like this with their kid or kids,, Cause there are alot of parents out there now and days that dont want nothin with their kids and tell them to go do what they want to. Wtg to you and your son for doin some jammin together!:icon_thum :rock: :rock:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts