Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Led Zeppelin
Orlando
31st August 1971

"Orlando - You Really Got Me" [GM DVD-A GM-LZ-31.08.1971-DVD-A-13]

DVDR > DVD Decrypter > DVD Audio Extractor > WAV [44000khz] > FLAC

Audio rip only.

Excellent soundboard source except ** where audience source used to complete.

Intro**
Immigrant Song
Heartbreaker
Since I've Been Loving You
Dazed And Confused**
Black Dog
Stairway To Heaven
Celebration Day**
That's The Way**
Going To California**
What Is And What Should Never Be**
Moby Dick
Whole Lotta Love
Organ Solo
Thank You

Personally, I think this is sheer magic - great sound, excellent mood onstage, tons of energy and a great production by Black Dog, and is absolutely given the slumpy stamp of approval and recommendation !

http://www.uuweb.led-zeppelin.us/1971.htm

Orlando You Really Got Me (Genuine Masters GM-LZ-31.08.71-DVD-A-13) 1 DVDR-Audio
Civic Auditorium, Orlando, FL, 31 August 1971
Set list (132 mins): Intro/Immigrant Song/Heartbreaker/Since I've Been Loving You/Dazed And Confused/Black Dog/Stairway To Heaven/Celebration Day/That's The Way/Going To California/What Is And What Should Never Be/Moby Dick/Whole Lotta Love/Organ Solo/Thank You
The Empress Valley release Florida Sunshine (in both 2 and 4 CD guises) was an extremely important one when it came out two years ago at the start of 2003. It made available a newly surfaced soundboard recording (albeit incomplete) for much of the concert. Combined with the audience recording we got almost the entire show. Two years later Genuine Masters brings out their version of the SBD/AUD matrix, on a single DVDR-Audio (and on two CDRs if so desired). The sound on this release is more 'natural', ie the sources have not been EQ'd to the extent that Empress Valley like to do it. The screen printed disc is in full colour, as is the very attractive DVD case insert. The opening menu gives easy and quick access to all the songs. It is an excellent concert too, and on the soundboard part we are treated to several exchanges between the band members (the best being the exchange between John Bonham and Jimmy Page just before Black Dog (both spoken in a pronounced broad Glaswegian accent). Bonzo: "are ye alright Jimmy?", and Mr. Page's reply: " yeah I'm alright!". Priceless, what a terrible and irreplaceable loss John Bonham's passing is to the World. The images used come from 1971 and early 1972, having a psychedelic or solarized theme to many of them. The sound, as previously mentioned, has more natural feel to it, and the blend between the two sources is seamless. There is also excellent stereo seperation between both left and right speakers, quite distinct in What Is And What Should Never Be. If you like powerful "in your face" and punchy audio, then the Empress Valley version will suit you. However if you prefer a more balanced sound then this new offering from Genuine Masters will appeal to you. As is often the case it all depends on individual taste. (Jules McTrainspotter March 05)

Orlando You Really Got Me (Genuine Masters GM-LZ-31.08.71-DVD-A-13) 1 DVDR-Audio
Track list: Band Intro (Audience/Soundboard)/ Immigrant Song (Soundboard)/Heartbreaker (Soundboard)/Since I've Been Loving You (Soundboard)/Dazed And Confused /(Soundboard/Audience/Soundboard)/Black Dog (Soundboard)/Stairway To Heaven (Soundboard)/ Celebration Day (Soundboard/Audience)/That's The Way (Audience)/Going To California (Audience)/ What Is And What Should Never Be (Audience/Soundboard)/Moby Dick (Soundboard)/Whole Lotta Love w/Medley (Soundboard)/Organ Solo (Soundboard)/Thank You (Soundboard)
Let me first highlight the fact that we are enjoying a Soundboard/Audience mix here and the sound quality rating for each breaks down to a solid "9" for the Soundboard and a "7 to 8" for the much more palatable version of the mono audience recording that Genuine Masters presents to us with "Orlando-You Really Got Me" - versus what Empress Valley and Eel Grass offered up initially with "Florida Sunshine". Genuine Masters has all along been about the "naturalness" of a given recording and I for one couldn't wait to hear what they present to us with this 1971 Led Zeppelin gem. Folks, they didn't let us down. I should probably re-iterate for those looking into GM releases for the first time that this is not a DVD video. It is a unique DVD with audio accompanied by a deliciously blinding psychedelic photo slideshow. The quality of the photo treatments is always breathtaking. Back to the recordings. This show is a current favorite of mine and it's just an awesome experience to listen to the band so full of confidence. The soundboard recording is excellent, with monaural qualities to start but is outstanding by "Since I've Been Loving You". In previous releases, the gradual improvement wasn't as dynamic as it is here on the GM version. The REAL improvement to this effort though is how Genuine Masters has cleaned up the transitions in-between the 2 sources. Plus, it isn't such a harsh transition into the audience source because it sounds so much better! This makes for an incredibly pleasant journey through a very solid and relaxed performance by the band. (You cannot help but wish that the precious acoustic section was available from the soundboard. It's just one of those things). The slideshow aspect of "Orlando" is produced on par with previous GM releases and the label continues to keep a nice pace with the changing visuals. Again, they have sourced some shots I haven't seen before -which always amazes me...but they also recycle some of the familiar images that we can term as common. One interesting and welcome nuance that GM has made a concious effort to program is that during tracks like "Dazed And Confused" and "Moby Dick", we get an array of images through the years of moments in those actual song performances - or at least represent what we think of while listening to those epics. Such as Jimmy with the violin bow and Bonzo playing with his hands, etc. Just a nice touch to go along with the whole experience. As usual, the standards of navigation through the menu and it's general presentation is tops. The cover art also solid GM high resolution design in a clear DVD clamshell case. This title can also be obtained on audio discs through GM and they also hold true to being an improvement over earlier titles of this 2 source show. I know Zeppelin fans will be more than appreciative to have this excellent release in their collections and I'm ecstatic to have 1971 represented solidly in the GM format and glad they included this
Orlando show in their catalog of releases. They have served collectors well with the production value this title brings. (SVENGI HotWacks On-Line March 05)

Set list (132 mins): Intro/Immigrant Song/Heartbreaker/Since I've Been Loving You/Dazed And Confused/Black Dog/Stairway To Heaven/Celebration Day/That's The Way/Going To California/What Is And What Should Never Be/Moby Dick/Whole Lotta Love/Organ Solo/Thank You
It is truly nice to at last have a title from Genuine Masters featuring one of the concerts in '71, which I believe was throughout the golden year of the band! As most of you know, Empress Valley first made the soundboard tape of the concert available to us in its title "Florida Sunshine". I compared the sound of this title from GM with that of EV's title. On my first hearing of GM's title, I thought EV's title might sound more gutsy and solid, probably being affected by the label's technical equalizing. However, as I turned up the volume, I soon realized I was wrong! Naturally, the range and depth of the sound featured in the DVD version of GM's title, especially in its lower end, are greater than EV's. For instance, if we follow Johnsey's bass line backing up Jimmy's fast guitar solo in "Heartbreaker" that we can now clearly hear in GM's title, we cannot help but feel amazed to know what creative and incredible phrases he was playing! Moreover, in EV's version, Bonzo's drum sounds very tight but... probably too tight. Although I unfortunately never had a chance to experience his drumming live, judging from the drum sounds as recorded in Led Zeppelin's official albums, et al., his drums must have sounded not so tight but rather sounded somewhat "fat" with lots of ambience. GM's title more naturally and faithfully revives such "fat" sound of his drumming. Of course, we can also enjoy Jimmy's wonderful guitar sound and Robert's powerful voice of their most glorious days, in a good balance with the rhythm sections in this title from GM. The fillers from the audience tape used in both titles are apparently from the same source. However, as it is especially clear in the silent portions of the tape, GM has made efforts to neatly suppress the hiss noise which existed in EV's title. Accordingly, the audience tape as we hear in GM's title is also of better sound quality than EV's. The slide shows accompanying the sound are, as usual with any of GM's titles, very artistic and of high quality, providing us with some extra joy. Another nice and highly enjoyable work presented by the masterful producer of the label! (Takemi Hiramatsu April 05)

Credit is given, and rightly so, for some of the new sources and/or spot-on remastering Blackdog brings to his Genuine Masters line, giving us the definitive versions to date (and arguably beyond) of established classics like Blueberry Hill or Watch and Listen to this Eddie. But as was the case with The Devil's Blues, GM may be at its very best when it takes recordings that were near misses and turns them into something special. "Near miss" might seem a tad harsh, but there was always *something* about the San Francisco 4/27/69 soundboard tape that frustrated, good as it was. Same for the Orlando '71 board tape when it first made the rounds a couple of years ago; very good to be sure, but somehow not wholly satisfying. Orlando You Really Got Me restores that source to the finest possible degree (a little light on airy highs, but strong down the middle and on the bottom end) and layers in the missing pieces of the show from a very credible (for the era) audience recording. The fill-ins are primarily from the acoustic portion of the show, which helps, as the diminished din was undoubtedly easier to capture for the primitive gear of the taper. The seamlessness of the source switching is, like Devil's, strikingly transparent (try matching audience levels to board levels yourself without introducing lots of noise; it ain't easy). The performance is a pleasure, too, from the cracking intro to "Celebration Day" to the stereo-sweeping guitar on "What Is and What Should Never Be" to the entrancing organ solo that precedes the lovely, show-closing "Thank You." Orlando, you really did get us this time. (Butterking April 05, an expanded Review from Going Underground, ICE Magazine, June 05)

------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD:

Download File: led zep 1971 (08-31) Orlando FL ~ You Really Got Me GM.rar - filecloud.io

1 - 3 of 3 Posts