Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Digital Man
2,538 Posts
I read in an Eddie Van Halen interview Jimmy sounded 'like a 2 year old picking up a guitar for a first time' in live performances. Thats a little harsh. Still as a bootlegger, Jimmy is not as good as he is on record live. Jimmys guitars always sounded muddy. So he is an awesome guitarist, but not the best live act im afraid Those dvds my dad got, and i loved them, so that was a good buy!

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
It's a stellar DVD. I've had it for a couple of years now and it gets played quite often, unlike other DVDs in my collection.

Ed was harsh about JP, but he was young and full of it when he said that... In fact, I heard and saw Ed play the guitar on his last tour and I think he needs to take a long, hard look at his live playing... if you know what I mean.

·
Banned
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought maybe Page was getting that sound because he was using equipment from the late 60's or something. To my ears it sounds real muddy - kind of strange in a way.

But then later on in the DVD when thier playing at Knebworth in 1979 it gets a little better sound wise. Not as muddy.

Even the "Outrider" album doesn't have that muddy sound.

I was just wondering, not complaining. Page still in my mind is one of the all time best guitar players from across the pond.

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
vhrocks2005 said:
I read in an Eddie Van Halen interview Jimmy sounded 'like a 2 year old picking up a guitar for a first time' in live performances. Thats a little harsh. Still as a bootlegger, Jimmy is not as good as he is on record live. Jimmys guitars always sounded muddy. So he is an awesome guitarist, but not the best live act im afraid Those dvds my dad got, and i loved them, so that was a good buy!
You have to remember folks when you say jimmy was poor live just what he had to do when playing live . For one most Zepp tunes were not easy to play , lots of intricate chord sequences , open tunings and time signitures , and then he would move about and fill the stage . On a good day Jimmy Page was the ultimate live rock guitarist .I dont understand your "sounds muddy " comments , Listen to any track from TSRTS , its sheer quality ! , i know the early Albert hall gigs were not intended for release , but even still his sound is big , chunky and menacing .

·
Banned
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bluesplayer said:
You have to remember folks when you say jimmy was poor live just what he had to do when playing live . For one most Zepp tunes were not easy to play , lots of intricate chord sequences , open tunings and time signitures , and then he would move about and fill the stage . On a good day Jimmy Page was the ultimate live rock guitarist .I dont understand your "sounds muddy " comments , Listen to any track from TSRTS , its sheer quality ! , i know the early Albert hall gigs were not intended for release , but even still his sound is big , chunky and menacing .
No it's cool man - maybe it's me. I think I agree with Axeshredder and Sweeps. It was the sound of the day - enhanced in a way from those days. It's cool. I'm not saying it's crap, not at all. It sounds kick ass out of my speakers - rocks the house. .

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,842 Posts
I always thought that as I listened to this DVD I could hear the recording technology change through the different periods. But then I'll take any sound to watch and hear Page play.:rock:

·
Black Dog
372 Posts
I agree with bluesplayer. And that sound on the royal albert hall I find awesome!! I'm pretty sure he uses the fuzz on there......(or it's just his amps cracking on max volume, I dunno what amps exactly he had there but I got the same kinda sound with a fenderamp cracked out loud! (without fuzz pedal)) either way, it made me buy/looking for a fuzz 69 to kinda reproduce that sound. It comes reasonable close to that sound. But playing with a fuzz effect makes things harder I can tell you.

I get the closest to that sound when I put my amp on crunch distortion connected to the fuzz.....chuncky, fuzzy and all. BUT it's extremely hard to play with that sound on your guitar, you can sound really cool, but you can sound awefull too. It\s hard hitting the notes.

When I put it on the normal lead channel (with fuzz 69) it's still fuzzy but more smoother. Much easier to play with but the sound isn't as beautifull as the previous 'setting' described........hell I\m still trying to figure it all out.....I think I'll be busy forever but it's fun.

I don't know an awfull allot of jimmy page's gear.... other then that I love his variety of tones!

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,734 Posts
Wow. I have almost bought that DVD on several occasions, but chickened out.
I will get it one day. Good tone is such a huge motivator!! I would think Jimmy got what he wanted from the stage mix-wise. Perhaps it is muddy do to the recording. Either way, i want that DVD now! :icon_thum

·
Black Dog
372 Posts
3fingers said:
Wow. I have almost bought that DVD on several occasions, but chickened out.
I will get it one day. Good tone is such a huge motivator!! I would think Jimmy got what he wanted from the stage mix-wise. Perhaps it is muddy do to the recording. Either way, i want that DVD now! :icon_thum
I'm blowed away every single time I put on Achilles Last Stand (knebworth 79) from that dvd. The whole performance is so f* huge!, The sounds.....the mutli-tap delay :icon_eek:

I watch it now on a daly basis......kinda obsessed with Achilles Last Stand the last few months. :ball:

I'm trying to make a cover out of it but it's sooo hard. Really complex song......Recording it good with one take is nearly impossible. I like to get the live vibe a bit so I want to do it in 'one take' but evertime I make some silly mistake or the solo doesn't go the way I'd like. It made me respect Jimmy Page's live performances even more.

One day I will get Achilles Last Stand right and I'll post it.........till then.... :bowdown:

·
Registered
938 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
In fact, I heard and saw Ed play the guitar on his last tour and I think he needs to take a long, hard look at his live playing... if you know what I mean.
Ed needs to stop drinking six bottles of Smoking Loon before they

hit the stage. :thumbsdow

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love that DVD, really shows how great Zeppelin could be live, especially compared to The Song Remains The Same. It restored my faith in them as a live band.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.