Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
how does people expect to understand and even compare or evaluate cabinet or amplifier simulations on a multifx, since they have no idea what the original sounds like ???

that's my question :scratch:

· Registered
610 Posts
Hey soloist, i don't know much about the gnx. I have a podxt and i love it. It takes abit to dial in tones and to understand the features. There are sooo many tones that u can get out of the little red bean. It is also great for recording. I posted a Metallica song in the cover and tributes section if u want to hear a podxt in action. Its probably back a few pages. Its "For Whom the Bell Tolls". What i'd do if you wanted to compare the two is goto your local music store and try them out. Ask if you can rent them for a few days. Some stores will allow this.

· Registered
45 Posts
Go with the VOX Tonelab SE

:icon_nono Both of the units you are discussing suck compared to the VOX ToneLab Se. If you want to play live and use one of these boards spend the extra few bucks and go with the Vox Tone Lab Se.......It's 10 times better sounding and warmer then both of these units..

Hint....Guitar Center sells them for $599 but you can buy it for $450 if you ask...

Good luck!

· Registered
7,789 Posts
Jem-7vwh-agg said:
how does people expect to understand and even compare or evaluate cabinet or amplifier simulations on a multifx, since they have no idea what the original sounds like ???

that's my question :scratch:
In answer to this one, I'd have to point you in the direction of wahwah and J-Mart's first collaboration on this site. One used a real Marshall, the other used a PODxt. The results were astonishingly close !

:thumb:

But it's all swings and roundabouts. If you like the PODxt, then you like the PODxt, if you prefer a real amp, then you prefer a real amp, if you prefer any of the other amp modellors, then so be it.

I's what works for you that's best in the long run.

As an answer to this original question, I couldn't comment on the GX3, but I'd suggest you try them both out and see which one is best for you taking into consideration what tones you want, and how you would be using it, and then weigh up the pros and cons of both.

Cheers,

· excess to requirements
7,090 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
Gnx

I have a POD XT, not POD XT Live and I like it but I just got a GNX4 and that thing is AWESOME. Built in 8 track recorder and drum loops. The GNX 4 makes me want to play more since I can play backing tracks through it too. The Gnx3 also has the recorder and drum loops.

· Registered
1,123 Posts
i'm using the gnx3...i use the drum machine and microphone all the time...i just hook the pedal up to my pc...and i'm off to the races...it's made in the usa and built like a tank...i've owned line6 stuff...but traded it back in...like goport says...check the user reviews at harmony central...they're pretty unbiased... :thumb:

· Registered
3 Posts
Gnx4 The truth

I've owned some line 6 gear as well as digitech. The GNX4 is the winner. The tweaking capability in this unit is almost infinite. I have owned it for 6 months
and am still finding new tones and ideas from it. The looper in it does need some work as if you try to loop just a guitar alone you hear a slight pause when the loop begins again. When drums are used in the loop no pause is audible and it sounds good. I know players that use it live and have had no problems with it.
Headphones connected to the GNX4 result in incredible tone. I simply plug the headphone out to my soundcard and it sounds awesome. It has about every output you could imagine. User created tones can be posted on the digitech web site and downloaded. This means that if you have a friend somewhere who owns a GNX4 and you like their tone- they can post it on the web site and you can download it, or they can just send you the exact same tone(s)they use. Think about how easy that would be if you heard someones playing on here and liked his/her tone- and couldn't quite replicate it. He/she could just send you their tone and you would have it. Pretty awesome. Line 6 I believe has that option as well, but I haven't heard of anyone sending others their own custom presets. Also GNX4 uses a compact flash card as well. I have a 1 gb card in it. Thats right, I can have 1 gb of backing tracks or mp3s that I can play through my GNX4 at my disposal. Thats a lot of backing tracks or songs.
I can get any pedal I want and I stick with this one, why, because to me its the best.
Damn I sound like a commercial for the unit.
I advise anyone to just get one try it out for 2 weeks, you won't be dissapointed.
And for those that say they couldn't get any usuable tones out of it, well this unit probably is a little complex to use for them and line 6 would be better suited for their needs. To those that like to create their own personal tones and endless tweaking- GNX4 is the way to go.

· Registered
3,031 Posts
mondola said:
In answer to this one, I'd have to point you in the direction of wahwah and J-Mart's first collaboration on this site. One used a real Marshall, the other used a PODxt. The results were astonishingly close !
I don't claim to know much in the modeler vs. real amp debate but I do know what Mike Soldano said about modelers that model his SLO. He said that some of the really good ones sound so close that he can't tell the difference, but let him play them and he can. He said that the feel and responsiveness of tube amps vs. modelers is different enough that it becomes pretty obvious what you are playing, even if tonewise you can't tell.

· Registered
1,123 Posts
that's the thing...most of us can't get our hands on one of those uber-amps...those amps sound different under all sorts of conditions...do you think a soldano would sound the same in arizona as it would in the phillipines...???...ie) dry air versus humid climate...???...somehow i don't think so...who knows what conditions the modelled amps were played in when they were modelled...were they created in a hermetrically sealed room at a specific air index and at a specific temperature etc...???...no...the idea was to approximate the general nuances of the $$$ big name amps and squeeze a reasonable facsimile into an affordable shiney multi-fx unit for mass consumption...besides...you can always tweak your tone knobs till it sounds relatively close to the originals to your ears... :sssh:

· Registered
610 Posts
I agree to what Jimi sez. You'd have to be a millionare to afford all the amps, cabs and effects that come in modulers today. I know there is a difference is sound between the read deal and these modelers but it is close. Also modulers are much more convenient for recording purposes. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.