Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not my usual stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if no-one likes it. Pretty dark stuff I guess, It is written about thedemise of the mining communities in England in the 1980's and the long term effects. I am getting into the idea of narratives and this is possibily my strongest lyric yet. The music is deliberately understated and pays more than a nod/homage to the 80's synth bands of the era. That is intentional (although there are no keys in it).

This is not the finished article. not by a long way. I hope to redo all the backing with female vocals, and possibly the main sung vocal too.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Man...you are one amazing songwriter, bro!!!:bowdown: I know you've said that you have no aspirations in the music industry....but damn, bro....your stuff is just too good not to be shopped!!! This is terrific!!!:thumb:

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,734 Posts
Awesome composition!! Fantastic production!! And perfect vocals!! Lyrically, I can't seem to make out all of the words, but the beauty of it is the voice becomes an instrument here with the tone and tempo. I loved this! Excellent job Goport!! :rock: :bowdown:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,660 Posts
Goport, you're my hero, dude! I agree with SG, and I've also said it before, but you have to find something to do with this talent of yours. I don't think that people are meant to have excessive talents in areas and not use them in some way beyond self-fulfillment.

This song sounded like a cross between The Police, The Pet Shop Boys and U2 (with a "rapping" style similar to Linkin Park). Your back-up harmonies were fantastic, the ones that you want to replace with female vocals. In fact, since you mentioned that you already had a vision about doing them that way, I was able to kinda fill in the gaps in my mind and I was hearing a kind of Back-up vocals like Pink Floyd has with those chicks. That would sound really dramatic.

Anyway, this was another great one that I can add to my Goport CD. :)

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really expected a serious bit of flaming my way for this one. LOL

Thanks SG - I really only do it because I like doing it. I believe I lack certain skills that I need to take songwriting/recording to the level where I would feel happy that I could sell it. For the time being I just want to get a catalogue of songs together.

3f - yeah the spoken word is pretty undefined. Only because I was running out of breath lol - I will redo them when I find a better way to record them without getting so much background noise. Thanks for the kind words mate.

Pickdust - thanks mate - I am glad you enjoyed it

Ahh, thanks KC, I appreciate the listen man :) I nearly died when I was halfway through this and realised that this had a similar feel to West End Girls. I can see the other influences too, now you mention it. Another 4 original vocal songs and I will have a CD's worth - I have 8 so far. Cheers.

Thank you blackstar - I really appreciate the listen man.

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thank you Linda Skyday and Andrew. You are all very kind :) :thumb:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
In addition to the other bands mentioned, this reminds me a little bit of Midnight Oil, partly for the music, but moreso for the theme behind the song. You have a great way of putting songs together and this is a very cool song. The harmonized guitar bits are really, really cool, but in some ways, they don't quite fit the mood and style of the song. There's such a strong vocal and lyrical emphasis to the song, that the guitar solos seem somewhat gratuitous or distracting. I don't mean to be harsh, but just thinking from a commercial point of view, those bits probably wouldn't be included on the single, if you know what I mean.

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ksdb said:
In addition to the other bands mentioned, this reminds me a little bit of Midnight Oil, partly for the music, but moreso for the theme behind the song. You have a great way of putting songs together and this is a very cool song. The harmonized guitar bits are really, really cool, but in some ways, they don't quite fit the mood and style of the song. There's such a strong vocal and lyrical emphasis to the song, that the guitar solos seem somewhat gratuitous or distracting. I don't mean to be harsh, but just thinking from a commercial point of view, those bits probably wouldn't be included on the single, if you know what I mean.
Well spotted. Nope it is not harsh - I guess I felt a little bit of peer pressure and decided to drop a solo in for the sake of this forum. :lol:

The clean guitar part at the start of the solo is staying. The o/d parts were added on a whim and I only left them in because they sounded ok (if out of context). There are many things I want to change - I want to re record all vocals. the spoken passages are a little indistinct and I really feel that the main melody would be better sung by a female (Hopefully linda is going to give it a try :thumb:) and remove some of the more, to quote you "gratuitous" sections.

thank you for the comments Ksdb - they were well observed and considered. :thumb:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,660 Posts
ksdb said:
The harmonized guitar bits are really, really cool, but in some ways, they don't quite fit the mood and style of the song. There's such a strong vocal and lyrical emphasis to the song, that the guitar solos seem somewhat gratuitous or distracting.
I was going to point out something like that as well, regarding the solo, but I was worried that more emphasis would be placed on that one negative comment than on all the great stuff about this recording. But since so many other positive points have been brought to light already, I reckon it is OK to mention the only potentially negative/constructive observation. Still a fantastic composition though.

:rock:

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to fess up - I really only put in the solo because I was going to post the tune here. :lol: It won't be in the final song hahaha :)

Thanks KC and Rid :thumb:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Goport this is a real good tune , you should get a record deal , there is no doubt about it .such is the shit state of the music industry . Just for the record i can hear lots of everybody in here cleverly arranged and put together . i like the bass riff , comes across very punchy . the guitars at 3.44 sound like Cellos ! KEEP THEM IN , class

·
Lead Kazoo-ist
1,432 Posts
Go Goport

Really great stuff Goport... I've asked about your work, a cd and/or band, etc... Obviously I'm not the only one who thinks you could easily take your work to the next level. I hope hearing reviews like the ones posted in this thread inspire some efforts to take things further. You should be heard. You're a true talent. You're song writing ranks way high with me. This is definitely one of my favorites.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.