Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It says tribute on the forum title and this was a little tribute to Joe Strummer, lead singer of the Clash, who passed away 2 years ago this month. The Clash were/still are my favourite band and strummer was the most infectious character I have ever seen. Stories of him being late back from gigs because he took time out to speak to anybody and everybody after show backstage are legendary. He refused to reform the Clash no matter how much money was on the table (we are talking millions!!!) - he was pretty much incorruptible and was a walking encyclopaedia of music.

I had a go at a few clash songs this month but all sounded forced so I tried an acoustic version of London Calling. I wasn't going to post this one because this is a genuine unplugged one take affair, I did it for myself and it shows me at my worst. But I guess that was what punk was all about so fk it! :drunk:

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
This was awesome Porty!!!...I love anything acoustic...it is so much more personal..I can feel the emotion you put in this...Great job hun...Loved it!!!:icon_thum

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your kind words Falstorm, Rain and sgstd. It is very much appreciated. :thumb:

·
Thunder from the East
2,039 Posts
nice strumming on the guitars :D what acoustic guitar is that? sound awesome man :) nice vocals too!! excellent !! keep it up :D

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Yaka. The guitar is a westfield small body single cutaway. Pretty cheap and nasty to be honest. I used a mic and the peizo and another mic for vox. I brightened up the guitar using izotope's Ozone 3, a mastering vsti/dxi plugin. Xtingx recommended it to me and it is excellent.

As for my strumming it is pretty much all over the place because I was singing at the same time. Next time I will record vox and guitar seperately.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Porty I love The Clash. Your vocals are extremely good on this...well recorded, man. I love it. Great playing on the acoustic and you mic'd it up nicely cuz it has a great ring to it. This is very pro sounding. Major props to you! :bowdown:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
FANTASTIC PORTY!!! Love your vocals you little star...... very pro voice great rendition of a great song:santa: :bowdown:

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Man this is killa, aweosme job Goport! :icon_thum :icon_thum

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much Topjimmy, Linda And Sting. I am flattered that you enjoyed this. :thumb: :D

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mondola, thank you very much for your repsonse mate. I t means a lot. I have done other stuff but they never got finished. I will try and have a bit more faith in future and see the process to the end :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Beautiful tribute, thanks for sharing it!

Goport said:
I had a go at a few clash songs this month but all sounded forced so I tried an acoustic version of London Calling.
What were the other songs you tried? For me the absolute Clash album has always been the first one and their greatest song Garageland. Maybe I cover it sometimes. Or maybe not - the Clash made it perfect.

·
Registered
733 Posts
the clash are awesome. and so was this rendition. :icon_thum :rock: you have a great voice for this type of music goport.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you very much Karkki and MattM. For the record the first song I tried to do was Staight to Hell, but I didn't get very far. the second one was Clampdown which I finished but I don't like it because the drums sound bad and so do the vocals. It would be disrespectful to post that one :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts