Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my new toy, and I can't wait until it comes out.

The M-Audio Black Box. From the M-Audio website:

"Co-developed by M-Audio and Roger Linn Design, the Black Box is the first creative tool for guitarists that combines amp modeling, powerful beat-synced effects and a drum machine with an audio interface for computer-based recording. Based on AdrenaLinn II technology, the Black Box can be used as a stand-alone amp-modeling and effects unit featuring spot-on models of 12 of the greatest guitar amps of all time. 99 built-in drum patterns with tap tempo make it easy to try out different grooves and tempos.

The Black Box also incorporates tons of inspiring unique effects that automatically beat-sync to your drum patterns. A built-in microphone preamp is also included for recording and processing vocals and acoustic instruments. One simple USB connection sends your output to your favorite computer-based recording software—and syncs the Black Box’s drums and effects to your tracks. The Black Box gives you killer tone, groundbreaking effects, huge beats and easy recording all in a single, easy-to-use package."

Check it out: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioBlackBox-main.html

Also, check out Roger Linn giving a demonstration at the NAMM show: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=media.linnblackbox

Some of the sites I've seen that are taking pre-orders are selling them for anywhere between $249 and $279.

EDIT: Damn, I noticed I should have put this in Amp Modeling...:wutblau:

·
David Gilmour's 2nd
1,776 Posts
I've been thinking about trying one out. Doesn't it have a hiwatt dr103 amp model on it?

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know what....I completely forgot about this thread. I'll post a few samples later tonight.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
I tried it out and liked it but I wouldn't give up my XT for it or buy it since, to me, it would be a redundant purchase.

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, let's see if this works.

Guitar is a Roadhouse Strat with Texas Special pickups. Pay no mind to the horrible playing. :notme:

First is Marshall Plexi (drive 80%, bass 80%, treble 80%)
Second is Marshall JCM2000 (drive 80%, bass 80%, treble 80%)
Third is Hiwatt DR103 (drive 50%, bass 80%, treble 80%)

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some of the filters and temolo settings could be useful, and it is a nice little unit, but I don't see it replacing my V-Amp 2.

The Black Box has a nice selection of amps, but I think you can shape your tone better with a Pod or V-Amp. The only thing it has over the V-Amp, is that if you hook the USB cable to it, it will synch the tremolo and other filter effects to the tempo of what you are recording over. It also has an XLR input and can be used as a mic preamp.

Nice unit, but if you're on a budget, a V-Amp is alot cheaper. V-Amp was $99 on ebay, and the Black Box was $249 on ebay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts