Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No excuses left for spending money on Creative products which are ALL gaming cards. For the same cash-ola as an Audigy, about $250 USD, you can have a killer M-Audio firewire product which is made for serious recording (see the specs) and not a gaming tool.

If you build up tracks one at a time and have no need to mic an entire band at once then check out the new product from M-Audio:

FIREWIRE SOLO

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo-main.html

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
I just got one of these units when I purchased my new computer, except I think mine is a model prior to this one (this one looks more high-tech in appearance than mine). I had it for a week and could not figure out how to get sound out of my computer. After trying everything I could think of as far as settings on my computer, I had to call the music store dude who sold it to me and he informed me that my computer speakers were to be plugged into the unit instead of the back of my computer. That just shows you how much I still have to learn about recording on the computer! :icon_redf

It does suck that you can only record two independent tracks at a time, but as you stated, if you are not trying to record a whole band live, this is great for home recording. I was hoping to find an input unit that had 4 simultaneous inputs so that I could digitize/import all of my 4-track tapes into my multi-track software and rework them. But unfortunately, it seems that no one makes anything but 2 or 8+ inputs (no 4, 6, etc.). These 2-in-2-out units are affordable, but jumping up to eight is pretty much out of range for my budget. Anyway, I will have to input my 4-track tapes in 2 passess because of this limitation. But otherwise, it is really nice to be able to have 1/4" and xlr inputs and gain controls conveniently located on your desktop.

Do you have any ideas for how i could record all 4 tracks from my 4-track recorder to 4 discete channels??? Would love to know how to do that.

P.S. I just noticed that your M-audio unit is firewire and mine is USB, which may be why yours and mine look different.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I know of a way to do it - but you may not like the answer..... Im not sure what software you use to record tracks with, but I think most support multiple input devices (ie sound cards). I use Samplitude producer, and have one sound card (yes - a soundblaster) and I can see from the settings in samplitude that if I had 2 sound cards, I could have twice as many "line ins", which effectively means 2 stereo channels or four mono channels. So, if you can live with the "terrible" sound (or so ppl say) that soundblaster cards provide, then you could have 4 channels for about 60 bux. not bad really. Plus, I use a sound blaster here, and the sound seems pretty good to me. Maybe not 2 million dollar professional recording studio good, but good enough.

Just my .02

Rj.

·
Registered
174 Posts
For 39.99 you can get a Behringer 5 input mixer to connect to a soundcard or even the M-audio and have a way to have multiple inputs. And of course if you wanna spend a little more you can get a way to mic in a whole band. I personally use a Radio Shack SSM-100 mixer for recording.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
djicestorm24 said:
For 39.99 you can get a Behringer 5 input mixer to connect to a soundcard or even the M-audio and have a way to have multiple inputs. And of course if you wanna spend a little more you can get a way to mic in a whole band. I personally use a Radio Shack SSM-100 mixer for recording.
Yeah DJ...there are a lot of ways to accomplish this...a mixer is a great idea for muli inputs. I just have no motivation to get too deep when there are so many resources available on the web. When you buy though, you should always keep expansion in mind...this way the purchase(s) you make don't become obsolete as you grow. I made the FW410 the heart of my system because I can add to it in the future as I grow. I can also daisy multiple FWs to it and really spread out and can do so economically.

·
Metal head
822 Posts
Great to find an old thread that is pertinent (talking about thread reusability!! LOL!!!) : I have a Soundblaster 128 Live!, i could get an Audigy 2 ZS Pro Platinum -damn, that's a long title!- i could also get a less expensive soundcard -my mic entry on the soundblaster is giving me troubles- and get the firewire solo, it looks to me like a great thing to have - i don't do much gaming anymore -i was a hardcore DiabloII "playa" lol- i mostly use my card for music, vocal and instrument recording, and dvd audio...

The Audigy seems great..i tried to get the one that has as many specs as the EMU-1820M at a much more afordable price...The audigy doesn't have an integrated firewire, or the channels that are proper to music recording, but as i said before, i was trying to get the audigy that looks more like the EMU..maybe a more afordable soundcard -this one is great, i just have some connections problems- and the firewire solo could be the good choice....i need counseling here..any opinions?? they are all welcomed!!!!!

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sis, it all depends on YOUR needs. Hell, listen to Bluesy, he records his stuff into an old SB card. There are many choices, as you know. Look into Edirol, M-Audio, E-MU, etc. How many tracks do you need to record simultaneously? Do you want an internal PCI solution? Do you prefer an external firewire solution? All up to your needs. What I accomplished by going the M-Audio FW410 route is that i can record up to 4 inputs simulantenous, it has two killer pre-amps (you would need one later for vocals if you lack it) 10 outs I can route anyway I so choose and 2 headphone jacks for monitoring vocals/guitars. It does everything I could possibly want for a stand alone situation and I can expand it with another FW410 or throw in a mixer. The driver is awesome and it works tremeddously well with Cubase. Good luck in your hunt!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I'll agree with StingX on the 410....just got it off e-bay for about $265.

My product review:

Took it out of the box, hooked it it....works perfectly.

What more can I say?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
stingx said:
VH, what were you using before the FW410?
A Tascam US-122 USB....it worked well, but I think I am getting a better recording with the 410.....just have not had the time to do much yet.

·
Registered
733 Posts
stingx, im curious about something...ive been thinking about getting one of these or some different type of recording interface. right now i just use the line-in on my Soundblaster LS live soundcard.
i dont know anything about them... my question is when you use a type of usb or firewire interface like that, its not recieving an anolog signal,right?. i mean when use line in on soundcard, its just recording an anolog signal straight from the amp/effects unit. when you use a usb interface to record, it records a digital signal, correct? so its not really the original sound...or is it?
im confused... :scratch: teach my ignorant arse. :lol:
but when i think about it, a computer records an anolog signal, then converts it to digital, then back to anolog anyway. so i guess there wouldnt really be a difference....?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I see how you are confused...the difference is the DAC which is basically an analog to digital converer. The way you are recording now....you take an analog audio input of some type and plug it into your SB live and that card has a DAC on it which converts to digital and puts in on your hard drive.

With a 410 or similiar unit...the DAC is in that device and converts it to digital before sending it to the computer via USB or firewire interface. Basically no sound card is needed. A 410 will have built in mic preamps, mixers, and a very high quality DAC as compared to a SB live. The firewire interface means it can handle a lot of bandwidth to the PC....which comes in handy if you are running several instruments at a time (which is not usually the case with the 410, but they make bigger ones or you can use several hooked together).

The 410 is basically a very high quality sound card, mic preamp and mixer built in one box...and you can monitor the signal for almost no latency (delay) which can be a problem with PC recording with a sound card.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If your using the line-in on the soundcard then it is also converting the signal to digital. The only thing is in my opinion the recording interfaces do a much better job of recieving and converting the signal. I have the cheapest M-Audio recording interface(Fast Track) and it records much better then the line-in on my Audigy.

Edit - VHFan beat me to it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
ah i see. so it would be basically the same thing, just better quality recording.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wouldn't be nearly the same at all...you're forgetting the preamps, software mixer/router, and incredible DAC!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
And another point is with the 410 you get very accurate level control with extremely accurate clipping indicators. This is important for maximum dynamic range without clipping.

There is a big difference between this unit and a sound blaster live......and I have both.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i see. it says its mostly for guitar and vox....wonder if its good for drums, bass, keys? well prolly doesnt have enough inputs for drums....

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Also...the 410 has a SPDIF input which is a pure digital input. If you have some type of device (like a POD Pro) that has SPDIF outs.....you can keep from going analog to digital to analog back to digital etc......just a thought.

Many drum machines also have SPDIF outs.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
MattM said:
i see. it says its mostly for guitar and vox....wonder if its good for drums, bass, keys? well prolly doesnt have enough inputs for drums....
Nope not if you need to run 5 or 6 mics with preamps.....unless you use a mixer of some type.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts