Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to make my own original riffs however i find it so hard i dont know where to begin i thought it would be so easy however its hard as hell. How do you make riffs anyways? and solos wow!! how the hell do you come up with a solo its so bloody hard ? i think you need to know all these scales i usually do it by ear thats what works best for me. but i'm not an expert i'd really like some adveice about making amazing yet sipmle sounding riffs and solos.

·
Registered
200 Posts
for solo guitar i like to make a backing track first then try and jam on it .. .recording, and doing that 10 times, and taking out the best parts

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Semishred is right, just bang it out, record it all, and go back through to find the stuff you like even if it's just one bent note. Get all the good stuff together, stir and bake till done. Really it's just practice, practice and more practice, listen to everything, not just guitar players, and try to swipe whatever catches your ear and roll it all together and make it your own.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ddr..............there's no secret formula.............you gotta play. these guys are right, I find a backing track i like and just jam.....you'd be amazed what comes of it. For solos, well dude, you're gonna need to know a scale or two. they're not hard to learn. Jusy google something like "guitar scales" and check out the sites. there's no short cuts that i'm aware of. You've got to be willing to put in the time. good luck and remember, there's tons of guys and gals on this site willing to help ya out! :thumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys i really appreciate all of the help. Like is there a set way that guitarsists make there solos. Isnt there like a theoritcal way to make them? i heard that you need to know certain scales in order to make solos? (i'm willing to learn by the way, i really want to be able to make great sounding solos)

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
diamondaveroth said:
Thanks Guys i really appreciate all of the help. Like is there a set way that guitarsists make there solos. Isnt there like a theoritcal way to make them? i heard that you need to know certain scales in order to make solos? (i'm willing to learn by the way, i really want to be able to make great sounding solos)
This is of course only my opinion:

Not exactly. There is a thing called music theory, which can be used to guide the creation of a solo. Basically all it will do is tell you what are the 'correct' notes to play given a certain set of chords. However, what is 'correct' isn't always best. There are times when the wrong note is actually the right note. For example the blue note in the blues scale does not belong in the key you are playing in usually but it works anyway. Any note can be used as a passing tone.

So, theory becomes a tool that can be used, but trust your ear first. You don't need theory to do solos. Many great guitar players knew shit all about theory. Would they have been better had they known some theory though?

Scales can help. It is good to learn them, but no you don't *have* to in order to make solos. Diamond Darrel said one time he just uses whatever note and if it sounds bad he bends it. There is something to be said about that approach, and obviously it worked for him, but there is also something to be said about learning how western music "works".

Theory will not help without practical application. Start jamming ASAP. In my opinion, jamming is more important than learning theory.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it was Richie Sambora (though it could have been any guitarist really) that said (paraphrasing) :

"Learn as much theory so you know all of the rules. Then make sure you break them all in the best possible way !"

So, as nroberts says, theory can be used as a tool to find all the right notes, as well as the wrong notes that fit.

Unfortunately, I still have to learn my theory, and am in the category of "finding the wrong notes that don't fit" all the time !!!

:lol:

But the feedback you have gained thus far is great. I know many a plyer on this site that jam a few takes and then put together what sounds best. Some of a guitarists best work is what results through mistakes or "winging" it !

Hard to be helpful. Just let go and remember what Eddie said, "If it sounds good, IT IS GOOD !"

:thumb:

·
Registered
224 Posts
sing it then play it

when I was attending Berlkee College of Music I was encouraged to sing and play the solo at the same time. That will teach you phrasing, if you can hum a cool idea, learn to play it. Get a basic understanding of how scales work (it's worth the time) because they can serve as guides. Break some of your favorite solos down by your favorite players and look for patterns, even if you don't read music you can learn a lot from the tab. Learn to use bends and vibrato, play only on two strings, all are different ways to expand and grow, and of course practice practice practice!
good luck

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
beria said:
when I was attending Berlkee College of Music I was encouraged to sing and play the solo at the same time. That will teach you phrasing, if you can hum a cool idea, learn to play it. Get a basic understanding of how scales work (it's worth the time) because they can serve as guides. Break some of your favorite solos down by your favorite players and look for patterns, even if you don't read music you can learn a lot from the tab. Learn to use bends and vibrato, play only on two strings, all are different ways to expand and grow, and of course practice practice practice!
good luck
Yes, you can always tell the guitarists that do that. They all have that real nice vocal quality with room for breathing to their solos.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My approach is to listen. Simple.
Alot of the great guitarists learnt to play by ear & learned the theory after.
I personally just listen to the music I like & without knowing it draw influences
from them. the only theory I learnt was a few scales & alot of chords.

I played like this for years behind a drum kit, feel & listening in my opinion are more important than theory.
Theory can make you sound like everyone else, your restricted to the rules.
Listening and creating your own style, I feel is more important than anything else,
Its what makes you different to everyone else.
The more infuences you gain the more different your music becomes.
Theory is basically what others have invented and created from the past, If they stuck to theory alone
the guitar would be played the same now as it was
when it first arrived.

I start with a drum beat, string a few chords together & make the rythmn of the chords fit the beat, and keep messing till I find something I personally like.
My infuences and with learning techniques from covers come into play when doing this.

If you want to apply a specific rythum or lead technique that you have heard on a fave track, then learn the technique and change it to fit your creation.

Theory has to be there as a building block to move forward, maybe a balanced approach is best.

Just experiment m8, its in there already, what works for one dosn't work for all.
Especially in this game.

Most Important m8, have fun doing it :)

LOL the Theory buffs are gonna post in numbers now lol :)

stay cool
:bannana_g Bully

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think its always good to apply theory when creating your own solos, and ofcoarse applying your own technique and knowledge to make it sound original! That's very important to me.
What you can do is follow through thechords with arpeggios which will bring lots of melody to the solo and ofcoarse using phrasing techniques.
What I always tend to do when I have this option is, I try construct my solo as in,
1 Opening Lick, 2 Main Solo , 3 Climax 4, Outro.. This gives it more a stronger purpose and solid structure for listeners purpose, and aswell a better way of telling a story with your solo (LOL).
Being a guitarist you need to know your scales! Don't try and play what you can't execute correctly and be confident in what you are playing!
I hope this helps! Good luck in the future! And Keep JAMMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
2 words... Rhythm Guitarist... Learn rhythm and get a friend to play rhythm, and you guys can jam all day.. I've done it, lol it's pretty fun just coming up with stuff

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with Bulldog, I just listen to backing tracks and try to make a solo that seems to fit that track. Just listen to the rythm of the song and just start jammin on what you think should fit in that song. Listen to alot of guitarists like Steve Vai,Joe Satriani,Van Halen,Jimmy page and try to look up tabs for their solos at first you might not get them but if you learn small parts of them you can incorporate some of their style into yours or you could make your own style. You will be surprised that once you listen to alot of music and just start jammin to a backing track your solo sounds alot better than what it would without a backing track.
As far as riffs go-i dont have alot of experience with them I just fool around with power chords and try to progress them together. Just keep practicing scales and keep jammin :jam:

·
Registered
104 Posts
diamondaveroth,

Everyone is different. For riffs, some people just get a little tune stuck in their head you know? It just comes to them so then they might hum it to try and remember it then try and learn it on guitar. For me, sometimes I get a tune in my head, but very rarely this happens. For me, I have to be playing the guitar in order to write a song. The good thing for me is that I can usually just say to myself, "Okay, I'm going to write a song", and then I just mess around and eventually I can think of a cool tune. Riffs usually come to me by messing around. Once I have a cool riff I try and think of more riffs that go along well with the song, which is harder than starting from scratch, because it has to sound right with the riff you just made.

When it comes to soloing I've heard some people will just get it stuck in their head and they hum it out and same deal. This has never happend to me and I have always had trouble trying to write solos. I would try the just sitting down and saying "Okay, I'm going to write a solo". It doesn't work out that well for me. It's better if you have your riffs down first then pick which riff you want to the solo to play with. I suggest you learning maybe some Pentatonic scales, and some other blues scales like maybe Dorion. Even though you don't have to know scales to right a guitar solo, I find it helps me a lot. So what I did was I found a cool riff, and I wanted a guitar solo to go with that riff, so I was on powertab editor, and tabbed out my riff, and there were 4 bars everytime the whole riff played once. And I just sat there and thought up guitar licks, then I put 1 lick in each bar, and sometimes the lick would take up too bars, but this worked so well, and of course I made sure my licks were in key. Basically you play your riff, and find out what the first note is, is it E? A? D? G? Whatever it was I found as many spots on the fretboard where I could play a pentatonic scale that was in key. For example if my song was in Em, I would find as many spots to scale in Em. I would usually start low, and as the song progress move spots by slides or something, and just go all around the fretboard. Just make sure your solo is in key with the song that's all and just improvise using pentatonic scales. Think of cool licks and just put them together like a puzzle. I hope this helps! (Sorry for such a long post).

·
Registered
3 Posts
diamondaveroth said:
I've been wanting to make my own original riffs however i find it so hard i dont know where to begin i thought it would be so easy however its hard as hell. How do you make riffs anyways? and solos wow!! how the hell do you come up with a solo its so bloody hard ? i think you need to know all these scales i usually do it by ear thats what works best for me. but i'm not an expert i'd really like some adveice about making amazing yet sipmle sounding riffs and solos.
Your like Slash. that guy knows no theory whatsoever. He learned completely by ear.

Writing music doesn't come out of nowhere. You could be sitting in the studio for hours and not be able to make anything good. Yet, you could also be at the supermarket squeezing vegetables and fruits and you get some idea for music.

All my riffs usually come when i'm messing around with the guitar, playing powerchords and stuff. When I play something decent, I'd start working on it, and that's how a riff is born.

Solo's are a different story. I write solos by jamming to CD's and jam tracks. You should build up a few good licks before actually starting to "write" solos. You could play your solos by ear, or you could do it the traditional way. Through scales and modes. I play almost all my solos by ear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts