Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the companion piece to Prairie Fire (posted earlier). It's another 12-string acoustic solo, using an alternate tuning. Prairie Fire had a minor tuning and this is major; it's also a longer piece. Moonrise over Manhattan

·
Registered
574 Posts
First let me say.. what an awesome picture. I'm also an amateur photographer and I just want to crawl into that scene with my 12 string and play some purdy music like I just heard you play on this one!!

Very nice sound. I just love 12 strings when they played right!! RIGHT ON!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lace. Appreciate your kind words. I'm hoping to come up with a project for you to sing on sometime 'cuz I luv your voice; maybe it can be a 12-string thingy. BTW, I can't take credit for the photo; it was something I found and borrowed on the Internet that resembled the inspiration behind the song.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
very enjoyable mate. I think you owe yourself a pat on the back :thumb:

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Beautiful song, bro!!!:woot: Reminds me of something but, I can't put my finger on it!!!:scratch: You have a real knack for that 12 stringer...I've always wanted a Ric 12 string but, never got around to getting one.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks goport, R-meen, SG and G-wiz!! This song also sounds good (and perhaps cleaner) on a 6-string acoustic. Since I wrote this on a 12-string, I felt obligated to record it that way. Mostly it's the alternate tuning that makes it sound cool; the open strings drone and create nice harmonic overtones with the different chord voicings.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a bunch Chip. My song is almost diametrically opposed in style and technique to the music you post; it's pretty humbling to get such nice comments from really talented folks like yourself.

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
That picture is so beautiful...Sitting hear listening to a awesome song you put together and looking at the pic..just really takes you to that place...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rain said:
That picture is so beautiful...Sitting hear listening to a awesome song you put together and looking at the pic..just really takes you to that place...
I actually got the idea to add the picture to this and "Prairie Fire" because of the pictures you post with your lyrics. :icon_peac Seemed like a good idea for these instrumentals. Now I think it would be cool to do a video with these songs providing the background music. Thanks so much for your reply and comments!!

·
Yeah, so what?
1,562 Posts
Another great one ksdb, I really like the atmosfere you get in these songs, I allways loved how a 12 string sounds, and you sure make it sing. BTW, which tuning you have on it? Is that DADGAD?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are correct on the tuning, BP. It's one of my favorites. The open harmonics across all strings on the 5th, 7th and 12th frets sound great and there's many different and cool fingerings to play up and down the neck while leaving the other strings open. Lots of nice overtones. Thanks for stopping by!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts