Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For this month I thought I would go to the bottom of the budget line for this one. I played a few"Cheapies" and decided this would be a good axe to cover this month.
Fender Squier Affinity series.

This is the basic of the basics from Fender. Strat body ,22 fret Rosewood Neck Medium frets(potmetal almost). 3 pickups 5 way switch 1 volume 2 tones.

Outta the box its just plain nasty... String height was unGodly without the slightest attempt from the overseas employees to intonate it. To play it you almost needed Kevlar gloves to fret it without a trip to the emergency room for sutures. Some frets were cut way too long and some weren't long enough to cover the fretboard. I've seen better work done with a chainsaw and vicegrips. The tuners did work and seem tight and the electronics were as expected. Weak compared to most standards but no real noise. All the wiring is nice and tight with no bad solder joints. The bridge is standard overseas fender 6 screw synchronized style trem.

First thing was a trip to the bench with a fine stone to take the razor edges off the fret ends. (Alcatrazz could have used these for the wire fences) . After about an hour of fret work to remove the burrs it was ready for set up.
Intonation went like normal. About 20 minutes of tweaking an bumping till its dead on. I set the neck with about .009 relief and the action at about .095 ( the diameter of an A string on a bass) to start. It really started coming around then. I set the pickups to about 3/8's " below the strings and found a pretty balanced sound.

Overall tone is tolerable considering the source. These are about a step or 2 below MIM pickups and pretty much run of the mill stuff. All the controls work as they should and roll off well without alot of mud.
For the $99.00 or so that these can be had for in most places its not the worst thing I can say I've played. It does take some work and what i did today would normally be a $50 service job due to labor.

On a scale of 1-10 ill give this a 4 1/2 due to the fretwork and factory setup.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
ouch sounds like the frets really needed some work..
lol alcatrazz wire fences hahaha
thanks for the review vintagebrat!

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
The way the Squier guitars are "priced" I believe is as follows:

Squier Bullet = Lowest piece of shit
Squier Affinity = Gardening fertilizer smell of shit (rich in aroma, but not as overwhelming)
Squier Standard = Balloon knot (You got a smile on your face, but you know it still stinks)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts