Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here is a first test. I recorded this in two takes... so it is a little sloppy and it is not complete. I didnt know the rythem where the solo should kick in so i ended it there, I will learn the rest this weekend or next and try and get a polished version done w/ vocals (if I go get me a cheap mic :D )

Let me know tone wise and sound wise how this is??

fyi, it is a little of beat in places but not too bad :)

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Man, I LOVE this song! Best song on that album IMO. Recording qulaity obviously needs some work, but the playing is great so far. Didn't hear any glaring problems or anything and this sounds like a kind of hard song to play (also sounds like a very fun song to play). If you can learn the whole closing section riffs (LVOE THAT PART) and the leads to the solo section, I will give you THREE bow-down icons (I'll just give you one for now --> :bowdown: )! ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kc_artist_rocker said:
Man, I LOVE this song! Best song on that album IMO. Recording qulaity obviously needs some work, but the playing is great so far. Didn't hear any glaring problems or anything and this sounds like a kind of hard song to play (also sounds like a very fun song to play). If you can learn the whole closing section riffs (LVOE THAT PART) and the leads to the solo section, I will give you THREE bow-down icons (I'll just give you one for now --> :bowdown: )! ;)
Give me a week or two and I'll get it it all on there :bannana_g

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kc_artist_rocker said:
Recording qulaity obviously needs some work, but the playing is great so far.

Can you tell me quality wise what was wrong?? I dont have the greatest ear... other then first section with the hiss... Im not sure what is wrong with it?

In this particular case, I have three mono tracks.. on with the BT, one for each rythm guitar. I played both guitar sections seperatly.. so no copying/pasting.

I took the mono route because If I record the BT and guitar on the the same stero track I cant seem to level each out seperatly (maybe I should put them on seperate stereo tracks?

and btw.. I have the solo rythem part down.. I have been reading the tab wrong, I missed a repeat section and couldnt figure out why it wasnt sounding right :D

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
MegaTrey said:
Can you tell me quality wise what was wrong?? I dont have the greatest ear... other then first section with the hiss... Im not sure what is wrong with it?
It just sounds really overdriven to me (not the guitars but the whole track), like it is clipping throughout. Might just be me though. I'd get a second opinion on this one. I am just getting started recording on the computer so I am no expert at this point. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
sounds cool! i love this song!
but, perhaps try to turn down the gain on ur guitars a little bit to make it sound tighter ... thats just my opinion tho, but anyways, cant wait to hear the finished product! :D

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
I think the tone is too buzzy for this. Roll the drive back quite a bit to let the guitar sound more articulated. You don't need this much distortion.

I really really love the way you play. I can tell you have the Megadeth vibe down pat. I'm green with envy. You make me want to learn this song. That's it, I'm going to my teacher today and I won't rest before I can kick your ass on this song! :thumb:

Again, aside from timing, I think you're on to something great with this cover. Best of luck and keep us updated! :D

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
I think the tone is too buzzy for this. Roll the drive back quite a bit to let the guitar sound more articulated. You don't need this much distortion.
Funny you would stop by this thread, CC. In my previous post I was gonna suggest checking with you or StingX on the recording quality issue (because you two seem to comment a lot on clipping and other mixing issues in regard to people's posts). I also thought this because I know that you love the Megadeth.

I don't know enough about recording yet to offer much help here...but hopefully that will be changing, as I just returned from my lunch break where I went to the computer book store and bought a big fat instructional book on Nuendo, which I recently decided to use as my main multi-track software. The book also came with a 4-hour-long tutorial DVD, all for $52!!! Can't wait to dig in tonight!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
cool :)
ditto wot the other guys have said, i'd also raise the drums a little too
yea bosh each to its seperate track

great playin :)
look 4ward to the finished thing with vox on :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok guys...

I think... The reason for it sounds too distorted is because there was no cab modeleing on. I will rerecord with cab modeling and see how it sounds. I have the rest of the rythem down (except for the last rythem there is one part that messes me up but i need 4-5 more minutes with it :D ) now so I should be able to get a full recording with all the rythem tracks next [email protected] Im going out of town this weekend so no guitfiddle :(

I appreciate all the comments :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts