Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps,

Some of you have followed my numerous attemps at covering one of Megadeth's best and most challenging tunes.
Not being able to play Marty Friedman's insane solo, I had to write my own and this took place over about an hour last night.
It's less than profesionnal at this point but I thought it was listenable.

Thanks for listening and feel free to post feedback.

At this point, I would love somebody to sing this tune, now that the instrumental parts are pretty much set.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sounds good to me C.C. Definately a challenging tune. I like the tone you have going. I remember trying to work up "Lucrecia" a few years back :wutblau: .
I'll be glad to try some vocals for this if nobody else ponies up. Nice job!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great man, superb playing. That riff seems a little complicated, no? Anyways no to the solo, great take, sound something Friedman-like. Very cool track, good tone, just needs a little more punch to it I guess, maybe more gain?

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey!

You're welcome to give it a crack, dude.
I'll be off for two weeks and will be checking in from time to time. Don't worry it you don't hear from me much.

SC350, Have fun with it!

Whatever you do, keep it on a separate track, as I need to adjust some levels to somes parts...

Peace! :thumb:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,660 Posts
Alright Ben Ole Boy, here's my review...

If your goal is complete and perfect replication then I would give you a B+/A-
But for someone who is not doing this professionally, on a regular basis, I would give you an A+.

I hope the 2 categories of grades make sense (not that I am qualified to give out grades :p ). As far as the first category, there are still a couple of parts that are not as smooth as they could be and there is one chord in particular that sounds not quite right. It doesn't sound wrong, but just a hair different than how I hear the original. I could be wrong though (and probably am). But these are nit-picky comments if you are going for total perfection.

On the other side of the critique coin, I love how the solo turned out. Marty is a maniac (I have coincidentally been listening to his 2 albums, "Scenes" and "True Obsession" all week on the way to and from work), and I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to figure out that solo. But your leadwork sounds great here. It is in a similar style as Marty's...just enough to sound right for the song, but different enough that it is your own. I really enjoyed that part and think you pulled it off really well. Gotta give you kudos for that. Otherwise, production and rhythm guitar performance are pretty much right where they need to be. I would feel very proud to be able to claim this recording as my own. Great work on this. Probably the best Megadeth cover I have heard on here.
:rock:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Kick ass job CC.:thumb: Loved the tone and the lead you did. It fit the song really well. I've been listening to Megadeth alot lately. Just picked up their Greatest Hits CD with the DVD. Working on a few covers of theirs. Some of Marty's solos are killer to learn.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kc_artist_rocker said:
Alright Ben Ole Boy, here's my review...

If your goal is complete and perfect replication then I would give you a B+/A-
But for someone who is not doing this professionally, on a regular basis, I would give you an A+.

I hope the 2 categories of grades make sense (not that I am qualified to give out grades :p ). As far as the first category, there are still a couple of parts that are not as smooth as they could be and there is one chord in particular that sounds not quite right. It doesn't sound wrong, but just a hair different than how I hear the original. I could be wrong though (and probably am). But these are nit-picky comments if you are going for total perfection.

On the other side of the critique coin, I love how the solo turned out. Marty is a maniac (I have coincidentally been listening to his 2 albums, "Scenes" and "True Obsession" all week on the way to and from work), and I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to figure out that solo. But your leadwork sounds great here. It is in a similar style as Marty's...just enough to sound right for the song, but different enough that it is your own. I really enjoyed that part and think you pulled it off really well. Gotta give you kudos for that. Otherwise, production and rhythm guitar performance are pretty much right where they need to be. I would feel very proud to be able to claim this recording as my own. Great work on this. Probably the best Megadeth cover I have heard on here.
:rock:

Thanks for taking the time to post this detailed critic. I hear you all the way, but fail to see where to chord you talk about is. Sometimes though I end up taking a tune and playing something by ear or memory, and liking it more than the original in the end. I end up not correcting my playing (I hope this doesn't sound too pretentious).

For the solo, I used the method my teacher taugh me and stayed with the chord changes, trying to write a series a miniature songs within the song for each few measures. It's a bit technical and lacks spontaneity but I feel it works well here. I know I can do a lot better if I have more time, but I really wanted to put the nail on the coffin last nite.

I'm not 100% happy with the execution of the solo, as I know that I can play cleaner than I did and maybe faster when I'm in shape. Unfortunately I'm very tired physically from lack of sleep and putting in too many work hours before my vacation. My fingers are paying the price as I see my hands just flop and not have that "snap" that can make the difference between OK and kickass. Oh well.

I take a lot of pride in being able to play this tune and look forward to playing it more until it's a part of me.

I think I'll do some more Megadeth too. Mustain is a friggin riff genius!

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ibanezlover said:
Kick ass job CC.:thumb: Loved the tone and the lead you did. It fit the song really well. I've been listening to Megadeth alot lately. Just picked up their Greatest Hits CD with the DVD. Working on a few covers of theirs. Some of Marty's solos are killer to learn.

Let's hear it when you're done. Make sure you PM me to give me a heads up in case I miss your post.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,660 Posts
Not sure how you took my critique. Sorry if I offended you. I was trying to praise your work but feel like you may have taken offense to it. I try to match a bit of honesty with a bit of positivity. i feel that you (like others) may find it more valuable than a substance-less praising. Perhaps I am wrong. Just trying to give you encouragement, plus legitamate suggestions for improvement. It is hard to know what people really want from their feedback. I thought your recording was fantastic. Just threw in some realistic critique so you didn't think I was just waxing your pole. Not sure aht e4lse to say. :icon_peac

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like the solo, its not freidman but it works just as well :) I still the think the riff before the solo needs some attention, it doesnt sound right to me.

I have to ask.. on the last riff are you alt picking? econo picking? or downstrokes? I play it with all downstrokes because it is too hard to for me to alt pick it.. and econo picking doesn't sound right with it.

Other then that.. Great job :)

If you are alt picking that you are the man.. Mustaine alt picks it though :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.