Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have upgraded my soundcard to a Terratec MDX 6Fire and I can't get the microsoft midi working. I am at present using the Roland Edirol gm softsynth but I am not really happy with it. Are there any better ones around?

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply but I guess it was a misleading post. I am actually after a decent softsynth. I am happy with the terratec and love the breakout box that comes with it. it has a slot for a midi daughter card but I can't find out any info on them :( so a decent gm softsynth seems to be the answer. any suggestions?

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been trying to find one of them - but they stopped making them years ago :( and they even stopped making the successor to it.

Cheers anyway mate :thumb:

·
Registered
292 Posts
what recording software do you use? You may be better off using DXi synths (if you're a cakewalk user) or VST synths if you use Cubase. Then you can route your midi channels to these synths in the same way you are routeing them to the Roland softsynth at the moment. You will find the sound quality of DXi or VST synths to be a vast improvement on the GM softsynth. Also Cakewalk supports soundfonts natively (not sure about cubase), and these are actual sampled sounds which you can trigger via midi, again, infinitely superior sound quality. Have a search on the net for these options to get an idea of how much they cost. Hope this helps......

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use vsts all the time on cubase but I want a general midi one for horns and misc bits really. thanks for the reply though :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts