Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some audio clips to compare the Vetta's stock cab and DI mic models with some new ones created by Armin Heinrich from Germany.
Here's the set-up:
1) Ibanez RG7420 7-string guitar
2) Vetta using the VDI digital output to send a dry unprocessed sound for reamping
3) Roland VS-1680 digital inputs
4) Roland digital outputs back into the Vetta with the dry signal
5) Vetta using the following:
Two amp models at once using stock " '03 Deity's Son" model with default channel settings (except channel volume was raised to even the volume with the second amp channel) on the left side. Second amp model was stock " '02 Bomber Uber" with default channel settings on the right side.
I also used the Vetta's default stomp box #1 "Blue Comp" setting, the default noise gate setting, the default post comp setting, and the default 4-Band post EQ setting.
6) Aphex 107 stereo tube mic pre
7) VS-1680 (no mastering or processing used at this stage)

The mp3 labeled "Vetta with stock cab and DI" has the "Deity's Son" going through the Line6 default cab setting "4x12 Treadplate" and the "Uber" going through the Line6 default setting of "No Cab". From there I used the "421 - Off Axis" DI mic setting (it seemed to sound the best out of all of the Line6 mic models -- the others were even muddier).

The mp3 labeled "Vetta with Armin Cab and DI mods" has both the Deity's Son" and the "Uber" going through Armin's "A Cab 06" cab setting and I then sent these through his "DI 2" DI mic setting.

I did have to raise the volume of the stock Line6 mp3 in order to match the volumes of the two mp3's. If anything it probably helped the Line6 stock cabs and DI tones sound better. Past that I kept everything else completely equal.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
mauvehead said:
Here's some audio clips to compare the Vetta's stock cab and DI mic models with some new ones created by Armin Heinrich from Germany.
Here's the set-up:
1) Ibanez RG7420 7-string guitar
2) Vetta using the VDI digital output to send a dry unprocessed sound for reamping
3) Roland VS-1680 digital inputs
4) Roland digital outputs back into the Vetta with the dry signal
5) Vetta using the following:
Two amp models at once using stock " '03 Deity's Son" model with default channel settings (except channel volume was raised to even the volume with the second amp channel) on the left side. Second amp model was stock " '02 Bomber Uber" with default channel settings on the right side.
I also used the Vetta's default stomp box #1 "Blue Comp" setting, the default noise gate setting, the default post comp setting, and the default 4-Band post EQ setting.
6) Aphex 107 stereo tube mic pre
7) VS-1680 (no mastering or processing used at this stage)

The mp3 labeled "Vetta with stock cab and DI" has the "Deity's Son" going through the Line6 default cab setting "4x12 Treadplate" and the "Uber" going through the Line6 default setting of "No Cab". From there I used the "421 - Off Axis" DI mic setting (it seemed to sound the best out of all of the Line6 mic models -- the others were even muddier).

The mp3 labeled "Vetta with Armin Cab and DI mods" has both the Deity's Son" and the "Uber" going through Armin's "A Cab 06" cab setting and I then sent these through his "DI 2" DI mic setting.

I did have to raise the volume of the stock Line6 mp3 in order to match the volumes of the two mp3's. If anything it probably helped the Line6 stock cabs and DI tones sound better. Past that I kept everything else completely equal.
The second clip sounds much better and I'm sure it's a lot closer to the sound you hear from the amp's cabinet. The DI mod is well worth the $39 IMO after using it....but I am still evaluating the cabinet mod which is another $39.

Armin does great work.:thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work ! :icon_surp :icon_eek:

I think your mix is very fine - but to compare the sounds I have to agree - that I would like the same demo's without drums more - or maybe with drums of half the volume.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the volume balance issue is tough to know what is best. I'll drop back the drums a bit on these clips and repost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts