Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me if i'm correct, somone, i'm a Newbie at music theory but this is what i'm thinking modes are

You know how u have the Major Tonal Pattern

T T S/T T T T S/T

Modes i'm guess are different Tonal Patterns that you apply to music in order to create different scales, chord progressions other than Major or Minor? i'f im completely wrong can somone please explain in really simple terms? thanks i would much appreciate

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
vanhalenrock said:
Tell me if i'm correct, somone, i'm a Newbie at music theory but this is what i'm thinking modes are

You know how u have the Major Tonal Pattern

T T S/T T T T S/T

Modes i'm guess are different Tonal Patterns that you apply to music in order to create different scales, chord progressions other than Major or Minor? i'f im completely wrong can somone please explain in really simple terms? thanks i would much appreciate
That's one way of looking at it yes ... different tonal patterns . the main modes are all based on the major scale/tonal pattern ...

So

C D E F G A B (C) is the major scale .. if you take that scale and run it up and down starting from D you get :

D E F G A B C (D) that is the dorian mode.

if you run it from E you have the phrygian mode .. and so forth up the scale ... each one is a different mode ,

another way of looking at it with the tonal pattern is like this :

dorian mode would look like this :

T S T T T S T ..

as you can see it's the same as the major tonal pattern but starting on the second degree .

I hope that helps i tried to make it as simple as i could but i know explaining things i make things too complicated sometimes :lol: ..

so let me know if you have any questions i'll try and clear it up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kinda makes sense, so as long as u know the Tonal pattern for the Mode u can apply it to which ever rootnote u want and create a scale in that mode? and key of the root note u started? or does the one Mode only work in the one key?

·
Registered
264 Posts

Ok so i sat in Wrote down all the Modes that Derive from the C Major Scale. I'm just starting to get into this stuff tell me if this is right ?

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
vanhalenrock said:

Ok so i sat in Wrote down all the Modes that Derive from the C Major Scale. I'm just starting to get into this stuff tell me if this is right ?
that's spot on as far as i can tell mate , that will work in any key yes , you should be able to just use that tone/semi tone pattern for anything .. nice work !

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
when you want to move up to the next step (don't rush into this till you know your other modes really well!)

you can do the same thing using C melodic minor .. a whole new set of jazz modes are derived from that using a similar pattern :thumb:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ah cheers for the reply, i'm really loving this theory stuff!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Stiglar, double check me on this...

Take a harmonic minor as you said.
1-2-b3-4-5-b6-7 in C

C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-B and putting that into modes would be like this right...

C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-B
D-Eb-F-G-Ab-B-C
Eb-F-G-Ab-B-C-D
F-G-Ab-B-C-D-Eb
G-Ab-B-C-D-Eb-F
Ab-B-C-D-Eb-F-G
B-C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab

Now what would the names be for those?

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
You have the idea right , but they're based on melodic minor not harmonic ..

so C melodic minor (jazz minor) is

1 2 b3 4 5 6 7 = C D Eb F G A B C

after that the modes are based on that scale

:thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Damm, Stigler what a perfect chart!!! I copied for my students. Never thought to diagram it out like that.

Excellant thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
So then what would be D-Eb-F-G-A-B-C be called? D...?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.