Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there !

Been meaning to do this one for a while now.

Anyway, here it is. Just me, my voice, and my guitar (plus a few effects).

Recorded using the POD xt for my guitar. The vocals were recorded using my P.C. mic. It kept clipping, so I had to distance myself from it, which is why I actually sound like I'm half the world away !

Anyway, I kind of do a Buddy Holly impression when I'm singing "old", but never mind.

And no, there are no prizes for spotting the dodgy (mis)chord that I hit...

Hope that you enjoy. Most people will recognise this as The Royle Family theme tune. It's a great song, I love it, I just hope I didn't ruin it for any of you !

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Very nice voice, my friend. The right kind of voice for this song.

I'm very impressed with this, Mondola. It takes balls to put yourself out like this.

Thanks for sharing.

We'll be calling you for vocal collabs I'm sure...

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for listening, CC ! Noel Gallacher gomes from Manchester, and I hail from Lancashire, just around the corner, so I have a similar nasally accent that lends itself to his vocals !

I think the Toastmaster and 3fingers are safe for now though.

I'd like to get a proper mic to use through the POD, but for now, the noisy PC mic will have to suffice.

I just think adding vocals, adds another dimension to the song. Better or worse ?
But another dimension, definitely.

Thanks for listening, too linda. Glad (or hope) you enjoyed it !

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
mab8485 said:
Nice to finally hear your voice. I'd never heard this song before. Are you still gonna buy a vocal mic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mab,

Yeah, I wanna get a vocal mic eventually. However, it's gonna be the least of my priorities at the moment. So for now, I will make do with the PC mic, although noisy.

A lot of people slate Oasis, cuz their songs are so simple, and they rip off The Beatles all the time. However, I think they are great songs, particularly their early stuff, and more particularly the B-sides. If you ever get a chance to listen to The Masterplan, then do so. In my opinion, it's their greatest collection of songs. All b-sides !

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Mondola, have you tried to muffle the PC mic so it doesn't clip and you can sing closer? Try taping a bit of packing foam over it and test... You might be able to better it before you get yourself a good mic.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
CanyonCarver said:
Mondola, have you tried to muffle the PC mic so it doesn't clip and you can sing closer? Try taping a bit of packing foam over it and test... You might be able to better it before you get yourself a good mic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. I was wondering whether I could do a MOD on it. I remember someone using a circular device of some sort and some tights, but that was on a normal mic I think...
I will certainly try a few things out...

At the moment, I am just happy that I can record some type of vocals into the machine...

If anyone could offer some advice of what sort of effect I should be putting on my voice, I'd appreciate it. I just put delay on with 10% feedback and 80 millisecond delay. 100% dry mix and 50% wet mix. For no reason, just tweaked the Cakewalk defaults for delay until it sounded "alright".

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
I think the voice sounded just fine. More effects and it might sound overprocessed...

I say just experiment by putting things betwen you and the mic. A sock, a knit cap, whatever... Take notes, and listen back until your reach an acceptable compromise.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Something else you can try to do: go in the clothes closet and record from there, where there's no echo.
A folk singer friend of mine recorded an entire album this way. He did it at home, using a rented, pro mic and the results are amazing!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This was great, outstanding job Mond!

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
I love oasis!!!!...This was awsome Mondy!!!!....WTG!!!!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Nice to hear Mondy...I agree with CC-it takes balls to post something so...naked! I've only ever posted one with vocals and I couldn't stand hearing my voice played back...thought it was in tune but couldn't stand the sound of my voice. Nice work mate...I have a mic you can buy to put thru the XT? Only £40k to you!

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Mondo is BACK IN BUSINESS!!!!! That's my boy!!

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[ QUOTE ]
wahwah said:
Nice to hear Mondy...I agree with CC-it takes balls to post something so...naked! I've only ever posted one with vocals and I couldn't stand hearing my voice played back...thought it was in tune but couldn't stand the sound of my voice. Nice work mate...I have a mic you can buy to put thru the XT? Only £40k to you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate,

I had to completely reinstall my computer. So I thought, fook this, I'm gonna get that bloody microphone working ! So I did. As usual, I didn't have much time to do it, so I just had to learn to make everything sound a bit more interesting quickly (thank God for Chorus and Delay
).

When I played it back, it didn't sound like I thought it sounded like when I sang it, but then again, I'm so bloody self analytical that I just decided to take my signature's advice and posted it !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.