Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started a LONG time ago and I just now got to it. I kind of went on sebatical for a sec there but I am back into the playing. I could jam on this track for hours, and in fact I have. It is one of my fav. BT's.

Anyway, nice working with you mondola and good work. Now you finally get to see it finished :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Wow ! Totally forgot about this one ! It has been a while. And guess what, I actually like my playing on this one, which really is a first. Maybe because I have forgotten about it. :lol:

Good mixing on this. I feel our playing styles compliment each other well on this track. I like a lot of the stuff you are doing on this one mate !

This is a great backing track. I just plugged it on, pulled out the old pentatonic positions and it virtually played itself. Great track !!!

Thanx for mixing and organising this, Noah. The levels sound great to me and I really, really like the finished product. Thanks for collabing with me !

:thumb:

And, as for who is left and who is right, well, it's me on the left, and Noah on the right, or, in case I have my headphones on the wrong way, I'm the one that starts the jam !!! Then we just swap back and forth whenever it "felt right" to do so...

:lol:

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
Really great you guys !

Mondola : I think i say this everytime i listen to your posts but mate you have improved out of site ! i really liked the repetitive phrases and licks you pulled out on occasion , really fit the song ! .. your tone was nice too ! i like also how you developed your solo with each little take you did , well done :thumb:

Noah : I quite enjoyed your tone also ! was it mic'd up or are you using a pod ? .. you had some really nice angular licks in there towards the end that sounded almost modal and you had some tension and release type things that resolved nicely . I think this is the best i've heard you so far .

Overall i was really impressed fellas . If there was one piece of advice i could give it's to do with rhythm in your solo's , you have the notes down on what to play and what not to play , the only thing is when you do some runs it sounds very straight and the same rhythm ... on occasions it's like ... 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 ... in a tripilet kinda thing for lengthy periods of time in licks you broke out towards the end but it's something i'd reccomend having a look at , use some more carefully placed spaces in your solo and it would really bring it to life alot more ..

just my 2 cents nice work guys :thumb:

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Stiglar said:
Overall i was really impressed fellas . If there was one piece of advice i could give it's to do with rhythm in your solo's , you have the notes down on what to play and what not to play , the only thing is when you do some runs it sounds very straight and the same rhythm ... on occasions it's like ... 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 ... in a tripilet kinda thing for lengthy periods of time in licks you broke out towards the end but it's something i'd reccomend having a look at , use some more carefully placed spaces in your solo and it would really bring it to life alot more ..

Hiya there, Stiglar,

Was this section aimed towards both of us, or one of us in particular ? I have no complaints with what's worded, I just didn't know if you meant both of us or not.

In my defence ( :lol: ) I'd have to say that I did play it safe on this one to be honest, and spent a lot of time just making sure I was in tune more than try and be experimental, which is why it does become a bit monotonous as you say regarding the 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3 bit.

It's just me staying within my comfort zone, folding my arms and going, "No, no, no, don't like change, not gonna try anything new, I'm nice and safe where I am, thank you !"

But cheers for the feedback. Maybe after a few beers and after playing with the track a little longer I might be able to venture out of the safety net a little more, but it just feels too welcoming, safe, and N-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ce...

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
mondola said:

Hiya there, Stiglar,

Was this section aimed towards both of us, or one of us in particular ? I have no complaints with what's worded, I just didn't know if you meant both of us or not.

In my defence ( :lol: ) I'd have to say that I did play it safe on this one to be honest, and spent a lot of time just making sure I was in tune more than try and be experimental, which is why it does become a bit monotonous as you say regarding the 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3 bit.

It's just me staying within my comfort zone, folding my arms and going, "No, no, no, don't like change, not gonna try anything new, I'm nice and safe where I am, thank you !"

But cheers for the feedback. Maybe after a few beers and after playing with the track a little longer I might be able to venture out of the safety net a little more, but it just feels too welcoming, safe, and N-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ce...

Well i think both you guys did it to an extent .. but it can be seen as a general thing aimed at the public hehe it's a very common problem i've noticed . people practice certain licks or scales and it becomes instinctive to go 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 straight down the neck .

It's very tough to break out of totally i think , i do it alot myself without realising till i play things back .. this is the beauty of recording ! . .i could spend all day telling you to break out of it .. but you'll only change when you listen back and notice it yourself ! hehe

It very hard to change !

Hope i don't sound like i'm nitpicking to bits here , you can prolly get away with just being aware of it and when your improvising next have a listen to what you play and if you can hear it happening just casually try and break out maybe ..

again all my opinion ! hehe it's improvising you can really do waht you like ! :lol:

Stig

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Nope, I appreciate the feedback mate. Just wondered if it was both of us or just me. I certainly can hear it in my own playing, and would love to break out of it, but you know, it's all what I was saying. Either I play like that and it feels natural, albeit repetitive, or I try something different and end up with 600 takes before I get the bastard right !

I shit ye not !

But no, I appreciate the feedback mate, as I really respect your playing and knowledge that you have, so anything that helps me get better has got to be good !!!

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
mondola said:
Nope, I appreciate the feedback mate. Just wondered if it was both of us or just me. I certainly can hear it in my own playing, and would love to break out of it, but you know, it's all what I was saying. Either I play like that and it feels natural, albeit repetitive, or I try something different and end up with 600 takes before I get the bastard right !

Oh trust me i've been there ! The comfort zone is really tough thing to overcome specially with recording and on the spot pressured improvisations ! I'd love to give some magic cure hehe but unfortunately the only solution is alot of practice :mad:

mondola said:
But no, I appreciate the feedback mate, as I really respect your playing and knowledge that you have, so anything that helps me get better has got to be good !!! :thumb:
No worries mate , thanks for the kind words , I hate making it seem like i know everything or i'm a perfect example because i'm far from it ! :lol:

But more to the point and on the positive side you really have come a bloody long way my friend !

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stiglar said:
Noah : I quite enjoyed your tone also ! was it mic'd up or are you using a pod ? .. you had some really nice angular licks in there towards the end that sounded almost modal and you had some tension and release type things that resolved nicely . I think this is the best i've heard you so far .
It was the POD. Factory channel, "Run like hell," with the stomp turned on. Clean it sounds like the song.

Thanks for the feedback. Informative as always. Rythm is something I need to work on a bit. Part of the thing is I can't hold on to anything past triplets very well; I start to loose control. Definately something to work on.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mondola said:
Wow ! Totally forgot about this one ! It has been a while. And guess what, I actually like my playing on this one, which really is a first. Maybe because I have forgotten about it. :lol:

Thanx for mixing and organising this, Noah. The levels sound great to me and I really, really like the finished product. Thanks for collabing with me !

Yeah, for a bit there I wasn't playing much. I kept forcing the issue but I wasn't really feeling good about it. I kept saying I would do this one 'tomarro'. Did a couple of jams on another site and it took forever to get around to them also.

But anyway, yeah it was fun. I'm glad we did this.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Stiglar said:
Really great you guys !

Mondola : I think i say this everytime i listen to your posts but mate you have improved out of site ! i really liked the repetitive phrases and licks you pulled out on occasion , really fit the song ! .. your tone was nice too ! i like also how you developed your solo with each little take you did , well done :thumb:

just my 2 cents nice work guys :thumb:
Yeah, I'd agree with that Stig. Your starting to bend more now Mondy which means your adding life to your solo's. All you need to do is mix it up a bit and it'll get 'spicey'! It's the best I've heard you do tho...

nroberts, I liked the trem bits where it sounded a bit Alex Lifeson...nice mix as well.

Keep up the good work guys. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
wahwah said:
Yeah, I'd agree with that Stig. Your starting to bend more now Mondy which means your adding life to your solo's. All you need to do is mix it up a bit and it'll get 'spicey'! It's the best I've heard you do tho...

nroberts, I liked the trem bits where it sounded a bit Alex Lifeson...nice mix as well.

Keep up the good work guys. :thumb:
Thanx for taking the time to listen, wahwah. We both appreciate it. :thumb:

Can't argue with what you're saying there at all, but I'll just reiterate that yeah I was playing safe, so didn't want to take too many risks, and that's why it's still that bit stale.

I need to take that leap of faith and jump right over the edge ! Hope I don't crash and burn in the process !!!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
mondola said:
Thanx for taking the time to listen, wahwah. We both appreciate it. :thumb:

Can't argue with what you're saying there at all, but I'll just reiterate that yeah I was playing safe, so didn't want to take too many risks, and that's why it's still that bit stale.

I need to take that leap of faith and jump right over the edge ! Hope I don't crash and burn in the process !!!

Yeah but if you do mate, it'll be a glorious noise. We'll do some on Wednesday after a few tinnies! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wahwah said:
Thanks. Doing trem work is kind of a new addition. That part in particular was fairly experimental.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
wahwah said:
nroberts, I liked the trem bits where it sounded a bit Alex Lifeson...
Holy excrement, you ain't kidding! I thought I was listening to a sample straight from Grace Under Pressure.

I enjoyed this whole recording. Stiglar's comments are pretty good and true, however only in a "suggestions for improvement" kind of way but not in a critical way. I thought it was all good.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kc_artist_rocker said:
Holy excrement, you ain't kidding! I thought I was listening to a sample straight from Grace Under Pressure.

I enjoyed this whole recording. Stiglar's comments are pretty good and true, however only in a "suggestions for improvement" kind of way but not in a critical way. I thought it was all good.
Critical is good when it is constructive and Stiglar has always been very constructive. I don't always get what he is talking about but I see it this time and am already thinking of ways I can improve in that area.

I had to look up the name ;) I had heard of him but couldn't place who it was. Rush isn't a big influence but I must have picked something up then. Not that they aren't good, I just never dug them the same as many others do. Tom Sawyer is about the only song I can usually name by them though when I hear others it is obvous since they are so unique. I'll have to pay more attention to the guitar playing next time I hear them.

Anyway, thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts