Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
What's up, guys? I'm new...

You probably get questions like this a so I apologize in advance.

About a week ago, I was home from college and my old guitar instructor, who is now teaching my little brother, was nice enough to give my Jackson a resetting of the truss. I didn't get to really play until yesterday, when I noticed a buzzing on the first fret of both the low and high e-string.

Anyone know what might be wrong and how I should go about fixing this?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I called up the teacher and left a message on his cell, but I can't physically give the guitar to him as of right now.

I raised and lowered the action a little bit to no avail. I'll try again some more.... thanks for the input.

·
Registered
733 Posts
if its on the first fret, assuming this isnt a floyd, it sounds like a nut problem to me. the best way to cure that is shim the nut.
pull the nut off and take a small thin peice of paper and lay under it...put the nut back on and restring it. this will bring the strings up more so they wont hit the 1st fret.
usually when its that far down on the neck its the nut and not so much the action. also check to see if the nut is worn...if the strings have dug down into it, that can also cause this. if that is the case, youll need to get a new nut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Loosen the trusrod just a little and it will be ok.
Then you need to lower the action also if it feels too high after that.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
MattM said:
if its on the first fret, assuming this isnt a floyd, it sounds like a nut problem to me. the best way to cure that is shim the nut.
pull the nut off and take a small thin peice of paper and lay under it...put the nut back on and restring it. this will bring the strings up more so they wont hit the 1st fret.
usually when its that far down on the neck its the nut and not so much the action. also check to see if the nut is worn...if the strings have dug down into it, that can also cause this. if that is the case, youll need to get a new nut.
It is a Floyd...

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Have you changed string gauge recently or anything different other than just putting on new strings?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
El_jalepeno said:
Have you changed string gauge recently or anything different other than just putting on new strings?
Nothing at all was changed besides the neck set-up.

My teacher got in touch with me today and gave me the steps to a slight truss adjustment. I'll get back if that doesn't fix it.

Thanks to everyone who wrote back. I really appreciate the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts