Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a dirt-poor guitar-freak and If I want to record, I have to use this old cassete player with a built in mic and hope I have a good-quality tape and that the damn thing is positioned properly...But now I have a karaoke machine and I plaug in a Radio Shack Mic to it and insert tape, hit record and play. Everyone I know has some sort of PC Recording software, and I was wondering if anyone else is a s ghetto as me... :lol:
 

·
Crazy Admin
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
you could prolly buy a "ghetto" mic for next to nothing . . plug it into your computer and instantly get a much better sound i'd say ! ... download a free pc recording program and your off !

i did alot of my first recordings with a tape player with built in mic .. some interesting results tahts for sure !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
metalnick said:
I am a dirt-poor guitar-freak and If I want to record, I have to use this old cassete player with a built in mic and hope I have a good-quality tape and that the damn thing is positioned properly...But now I have a karaoke machine and I plaug in a Radio Shack Mic to it and insert tape, hit record and play. Everyone I know has some sort of PC Recording software, and I was wondering if anyone else is a s ghetto as me... :lol:
Not too long ago I was using a mini tape recorder to do everything. It was pretty crappy. Then I learned of some software for my OS and downloaded it and started learning how to do digital recording. I never went back of course :mix:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,688 Posts
Man, your setup is really ghetto. You get the ghetto award for this one for sure. The award is a gold spray painted cinder block as the base, with a Taco bell supersized cup skewered on a piece of rust, twisted rebar.

If you have a Mac, 70 bucks will get you Garage Band 2, complete with thousands of real and software instrument loops. This is the ultimate jamming recording machine!
And if you have a PC instead (what a silly idea), ask anyone here, they have tons of advice to give.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Man, your setup is really ghetto. You get the ghetto award for this one for sure. The award is a gold spray painted cinder block as the base, with a Taco bell supersized cup skewered on a piece of rust, twisted rebar.

If you have a Mac, 70 bucks will get you Garage Band 2, complete with thousands of real and software instrument loops. This is the ultimate jamming recording machine!
And if you have a PC instead (what a silly idea), ask anyone here, they have tons of advice to give.

If he has a PC and a dsl connection, linux and ardour is a download away :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
trey85stang said:
If he has a PC and a dsl connection, linux and ardour is a download away :cool:
Better watch it, people might call you a zealot. ;)

It's true though. And there are options for people who find linux difficult also:

http://www.ferventsoftware.com/index.php
http://www.agnula.org/

The first is a LiveCD and doesn't require an install (in fact I think it will run like a windows app and just take over the computer). The second is an audio specific distribution to make getting the audio stuff up to par easier for the inexperienced. Both come with Ardour, Rosegarden, etc. I think the fervent version is set up to use VST plugins even...which I haven't tried to do yet.

There is also audacity for all systems. Ardour is quite a bit more sophisticated than Audacity, but Audacity should be good enough for most home users and is definately an upgrade from a kerioki machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Stiglar said:
you could prolly buy a "ghetto" mic for next to nothing . .
The Behringer 3 pack is great on this level. They are pretty decent mics for next to nothing. $30 for 3 in a hard case.
 

·
Napoleon Dynamite
Joined
·
4,533 Posts
nroberts said:
The Behringer 3 pack is great on this level. They are pretty decent mics for next to nothing. $30 for 3 in a hard case.
Or maybe save up a few dollars more and get one GOOD mic on sale for $75 - Shure 57.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
stingx said:
Or maybe save up a few dollars more and get one GOOD mic on sale for $75 - Shure 57.
I spent $89 getting an SM57 and I don't know that it was better than the $10 Behringer enough to support the extra cost; I'm sort of feeling like I spent good money on something I didn't need. In fact the frequency response ratings of the two are very similar. I am hard pressed to hear a difference, if any, between the two. The XM1800S is a pretty good mic for about 1/10th the price (the 57 only comes with a leather(?) pouch so I am counting the hardshell case in there).

They are different though. The Behringer is a vocal mic where the 57 is more of an instrument mic. The Behringer is a super cardioid whereas the 57 is a cardioid. But I bet if I posted recordings from the two the 57 would not be identified with any regularity. At a 90% difference in price you would expect it to be pretty obvious. In fact that might be a good exercize for the recording forum when and if I get around to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"You get the ghetto award for this one for sure"

LMAO!!! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
I'm not even close to being that ghetto........but on the thread note...there are plenty of free d/loads on the net for recording purposes. I know there was a thread posted here on some of those. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
I had a really ghetto recording setup at one point. I used to have a Hondo II electric guitar that fell apart cuz it was so cheapo. So I took one of the pickups out of it and connected it to two wooden clothes pins (the kind with the metal spring in the middle) and then used that contraption to hold the pickup in the sound hole of my old fender accoustic guitar. Then I would run the output of that into an old cassette deck. The output of the cassette deck was then wired to my little stereo that I had at the time. I could then bring the record levels up on the cassette deck untill the stereo was overpowered and this provided a distortion box of sorts. Sounded REALLY CRAPPY, but hey - I was playing!

Rj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
rjfoster said:
I had a really ghetto recording setup at one point. I used to have a Hondo II electric guitar that fell apart cuz it was so cheapo. So I took one of the pickups out of it and connected it to two wooden clothes pins (the kind with the metal spring in the middle) and then used that contraption to hold the pickup in the sound hole of my old fender accoustic guitar. Then I would run the output of that into an old cassette deck. The output of the cassette deck was then wired to my little stereo that I had at the time. I could then bring the record levels up on the cassette deck untill the stereo was overpowered and this provided a distortion box of sorts. Sounded REALLY CRAPPY, but hey - I was playing!

Rj
You win. That's the saddest po' man story I ever heard. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
nroberts said:
You win. That's the saddest po' man story I ever heard. :lol:
Hehehe yeah - that is pretty damn ghetto! That was when I was like a freshamn in highschool with no money living at home with the parents. I think my parents were GLAD when the Hondo quit working, and they probably thought "Well thats the end of that irritating thing - THANK GOD!" However desperation breeds creativity, so I made do with what I had. heheheh I think I may still have a cassette recording of that "set up" here some where. I ought to dig it out and post it up here just for fun!

At least I have come a long way since then.

Ya know, sometimes I look back and wonder why I even continued to try to learn to play back then. LOL - the good ol' days!


Rj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
LOL this is funny - I was looking on the web for a picture of that old Hondo - it was made to look like Eddie VH's "red with white stripes" guitar. I didnt find a picture of the guitar, but I did find this post by some one:

"
Tinknocker
01-12-2005, 08:02 AM

A piker? Nah. It doesn't matter if you have a cheap Hondo and play it thru your stereo. If you can play and you're happy, that's all that matters.

TexMexMike


I'm not the only one!

Rj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
rjfoster said:
LOL this is funny - I was looking on the web for a picture of that old Hondo - it was made to look like Eddie VH's "red with white stripes" guitar. I didnt find a picture of the guitar, but I did find this post by some one:

"
Tinknocker
01-12-2005, 08:02 AM

A piker? Nah. It doesn't matter if you have a cheap Hondo and play it thru your stereo. If you can play and you're happy, that's all that matters.

TexMexMike


I'm not the only one!

Rj

My first guitar was a "State of the Art" guitar. It was a big pile of shit too, but at least it didn't just fall appart. And at least I had a little Rage to play through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
My first was a Kay SG bass and I too, played it through my stereo! Unlike rj, I actually did give up playing for years, until about three years ago when i couldn't stand it anymore, and had a lot more resources and time on my hands. :jam:
 

·
excess to requirements
Joined
·
7,118 Posts
my first guitar was a e335 gibson copy, a really bad one made by satellite - the neck was so bad it used to bend if I fretted a chord too hard. I used to play it through my dads stereo until I killed the speakers.. then he nearly killed me. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
nroberts said:
My first guitar was a "State of the Art" guitar. It was a big pile of shit too, but at least it didn't just fall appart. And at least I had a little Rage to play through.
I had one of those too - a nice metallic blue strat copy. It was fairly decent compared to the hondo! hehehe In fact I had that guitar for about a year or so and then sold it and bought the Fender Strat that I still own to this day. Now thats a guitar I love - it wont be going any where! :jam:
 

·
Napoleon Dynamite
Joined
·
4,533 Posts
rjfoster said:
I had a really ghetto recording setup at one point. I used to have a Hondo II electric guitar that fell apart cuz it was so cheapo. So I took one of the pickups out of it and connected it to two wooden clothes pins (the kind with the metal spring in the middle) and then used that contraption to hold the pickup in the sound hole of my old fender accoustic guitar. Then I would run the output of that into an old cassette deck. The output of the cassette deck was then wired to my little stereo that I had at the time. I could then bring the record levels up on the cassette deck untill the stereo was overpowered and this provided a distortion box of sorts. Sounded REALLY CRAPPY, but hey - I was playing!

Rj
This touched me more than one of those Feed The Children commericals. I was almost prompted to send you a check...
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top