Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know what peoples opinions were on what amp has the widest range of tones and sounds. Im looking for something that has both a good clean and distortion channel. So far what Ive heard is that the Fender twins hae the nicest clean channel but not very good distortion. As far as money Im hoping to keep it under 800 or so. Any suggestions are welcome. thanks

G

·
walkonwater said:
Just wanted to know what peoples opinions were on what amp has the widest range of tones and sounds. Im looking for something that has both a good clean and distortion channel. So far what Ive heard is that the Fender twins hae the nicest clean channel but not very good distortion. As far as money Im hoping to keep it under 800 or so. Any suggestions are welcome. thanks
Well, it depends on what kind of sound you are trying to get. By the widest range of tones, you must mean at least clean and distortion channels (two channel).

A Fender twin/Pro Reverb/Super reverb makes a great cleantone amp, and you can drive it with a pedal to sound like SRV, but forget about using that type of amp for thrash. Those type of Fender amps are great for Jazz, blues, and 70s rock. The type of circuit that amp is does not lend itself to heavy overdrive or heavy tones (just pleasant tones for Gibson and Fender guitars).

Most of the youth of today want some sort of high-gain amp based upon the Marshall amp to play their Jackson-type guitars thru.

I really like the Laney amp line (their working 50 and 100 watt heads) over anyother type of amplifier because the construction is superior to other mass-produced amps. I would put the workmanship up there with Soldanos. The Laneys run alot less than the Soldanos do.

The newest Mesa boogies are really cool, and I do like the idea of the double and triple rect amp line. I think they sound fantastic, but those amps are a repairmans nightmere. The most elegant design for your purpose is the superior one, and unless you have a need for mixing and matching rectifiers and combinations of different power tubes, these amps for the money may be overkill and overfeatured.

Having fixed, built, and repaired countless amplifiers, I have come to the conclusion that the simpler design tube amps are the ones to own. One set of power tubes seems to fit the bill for me (EL34s), two channels, and the most minimum of parts between the input jack and the tubes. I also require an effects loop, as this is the best way to do delay effects (as we all know).

There is a few amps I defintetly would avoid, as they are the pintos and novas of the under 1000.00 amp selection (and I wont name the bad amps as to not offend anyone using these who likes them). I would try for a JCM800 (yes, an 800), or some sort of Laney two channel used for the money you are talking about. Those amps are designed to let the tubes provide you tone with the minimum of interference from extraneous circuitry. (get a Laney!)

·
Registered
240 Posts
jcm800 is ok for a great metal rhythm tone, but it is not versatile at all. my other guitarist has one. terrible amp for anything but a killer thrashy style metal rhythm tone... steer clear of that one... i'd personally recommend a JCM2000 DSL100 or TSL100. both great amps, both a thousand times more versatile than a JCM800.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Line 6, absolutely no doubt. :bowdown:

G

·
The JCM2000 DSL/TSLs are great amps, but you wont find one that operates for a budget less than 800.00 :icon_peac

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The Fender CyberTwin SE. An absolutely AMAZING amplifier! I've had one for about 6 months now and LOVE it. Click HERE to visit my guitar music archive and you will find a number of songs that I have recorded using the CyberTwin SE. I think you'll like what you hear!

Also, click HERE and then click Video to see more about it.

Rj

·
Registered
27 Posts
versatile amp

try a Marshall jcm 2000 triple super lead.3 channels dripping tone(not quite on a par with matamp for tone but has 3 channels).The 60 watt &100 watt head are in your price range

1 - 9 of 9 Posts