Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would have to say Van Halen :beerbang:

To make an analogy:

If you were going to build a brick house and Motley Crue were the bricks.....

Van Halen would be the mortar.......

On a side note....I went to several Van Halen and Motley Crue concerts. The chicks at the Crue shows were off the hook!!! Just seems like there were 3 times more than at the VH shows.......oh the good ole days..... :woot:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is this thread a joke?!!?!?!?

WHich did more for rock???
motley crue did nothing , they added nothing that wasnt already there. Van Halen re-invented guitar, of course i am talkin about the roth-era days not the Van Hagar shit , that was even worse than motley crue. Just kdding i do actually like motley crue a litte bit , but comparig them to (roth-era) Van Halen is a joke and is like comparing the beatles to ....

well, van hagar.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's too bad Van Hagar never did anything to match Humans Being. I was aruging with some dude that claims Motley did more for rock. And I'm like WTF did they do? I wouldn't take Motley's best stuff over any Van Halen stuff maybe with the exception of some of the filler on Diver Down like Sweet Bill or Happy Trails.

·
Another Broke Guitarist
2,036 Posts
Motley Who??? :24: It has to be Van Halen.....just take a listen to the first album of van halen and compare it to the other bands that had releases at the same time and hear how Van Halen shaped the rock generation to follow...Motley was mainstream in the middle of a hair glam era...When the Motley boys were a club band they were probably playing Van Halen cover tunes...and I can Guaran-damn-tee that Van Halen has never covered a Motley tune.....
So there you have it....................

·
Another Broke Guitarist
2,036 Posts
and a second note Motley Crue did do more for the selling of herion than Van Halen...Nikki Sixx alone can account for that.... :mwink: Don't get me wrong I liked the crue but they are no Van Halen

·
Registered
233 Posts
???no question Van Halen did more.
Motley Crue was a good "Hair" metal band , but
Van Halen I had a major impact on how rock was played.
Once VH hit it big, suddenly you started seeing a lot of metal bands with one guitarist (playing a strat with a floyd) a double bass drummer and a blond lead singer.
Hmmmmmmmmm......... sounds like they all wish they were Van Halen.

·
Banned
6,972 Posts
Well, VH of course was awesome when they debuted, but between VHII and 1984, there wasn't much popularity movement compared to the Crue. 1984 was probably THE BEST rock album in the tri-decade period, but before that were not really many highlights for VH aside form the hardcore fans such as many of us. Crue on the other hand always had headlines because they were getting publicity over everything going on in their world. Drugs, sex,m and death. Not saying you have to agree with me, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
El_jalepeno said:
1984 was probably THE BEST rock album in the tri-decade period, but before that were not really many highlights for VH aside form the hardcore fans such as many of us.

1984 tour was my first Van Halen concert........9 rows back right in front of Ed. I had a headache for a week after.....but oh was it good!!!

Also......some of you slam Sammy and say that he did nothing for VH. I would respectively disagree. He brought a different aspect to the band and their music was pushed in directions that it never would have gone with Roth. I was there at the 5150 tour/concert as well.....It was one hell of a show.

·
Banned
6,972 Posts
Jester said:
1984 tour was my first Van Halen concert........9 rows back right in front of Ed. I had a headache for a week after.....but oh was it good!!!

Also......some of you slam Sammy and say that he did nothing for VH. I would respectively disagree. He brought a different aspect to the band and their music was pushed in directions that it never would have gone with Roth. I was there at the 5150 tour/concert as well.....It was one hell of a show.
Me and a buddy of mine got busted for trying to light a joint at the 1984 show in Houston, TX. :shame:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.