Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, gang. Thank you for your patience in awaiting this month(June)’s theme for the “MP3 of the Month” contest. The Dick Clark of this particular forum (Master Stiglar) is taking some vacation time to ensure the betterment of his educational credentials (the man has some critical exams coming up), so Vintage_Brat (VB) and I (KC) get to enjoy the honor of “guest hosting” this month. We had a really cool idea brewing, but I will have to prep some files first for everyone to use, which is taking a little bit longer than originally anticipated (hence the delay in announcing this month's theme). So, I will continue working on it and maybe we will do it next month. So, in the meantime.....

The theme for June has to do with original interpretation of a cover song in the form of heavy metal music. The objective is to choose a song that is far removed from metal music and re-interpret it in that style. For instance, if you always fancied "Dancing Queen" by ABBA, but wondered how it would sound played with an over-driven electric guitar sound, here's your chance! How 'bout some Cat Stevens cranked up to 11?! You may find that the BeeGees sound kick-ass through a Marshall Stack! The more mellow of the song you pick to metalize, the better!

Anyway, please post any additional questions you may have and I will clarify any loose ends. Good luck with your classes Stig! No worries, as me and VB got you covered for this month. And best of luck to all who take on this groovy challenge!

:jam:

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Great idea guys! This could be very groovy indeed! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
yea great idea ;)
I ALWAYS imagine ANY song in heavy rock/metal style ROFL ;) :lol: :rock:
may well add something if i have time

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bones_19l said:
so even a song written by a host of an old variety show is fair game?
Thanks for inquiring. As far as I am concerned, feel free to do whatever you want and enter it, however your chances of winning will increase based on a few criteria:

1. The wider degree of separation between Mellow to Metal. In other words, the more mellow (or non-metal) the original song is that you reinterpret in a heavy metal style, the more "points" you will earn.

2. The more recognizable the orignal, the better. If you pick an original mellow song that no one has heard of and make it metal, you might as well just write an original metal composition, as there is nothing to compare your interpretation to.

When I say "mellow" that doesn't mean you have to pick a song by The Carpenters or Peter,Paul and Mary (although that would be a fun challenge!). Basically any song that was not originally produced using overdriven electric guitars. I mean, if you wanted to do a heavy version of the theme song for The Price Is Right, that would work. I hope this helps. If not feel free to submit further inquiries regarding the guidelines. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.