Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if its the right place...

Can anyone explain the basics of converting mp3/wav to a MIDI file?

First of all, can it be done? If so, what software should i use?
And what other ways out there to create a midi file?

TY.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I've tried many programs that claim to do this...and they all suck big time!!! The technology just isn't there yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't need somethin professional...

I want to create a simple midi file that i can import into guitar pro
so i can have the songs tablature.

can you recommend?

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
You will never be able to do it with a full song file. You can only do it right now if you have say the bass on a seperate track, the guitar, etc, and even then it will really only work with single note lines, not chords. Sorry.

·
Registered
955 Posts
ill have to agree with these guys: i dont think technology allows for what you want to do. mabye i can give somewhat of answer to how midi is created though.

to the best of my knowledge midi is mostly associated with keyboards. i record my keyboard into cakewalk(a computer recording program)using a midi cable and it shows me what notes i used. the advantages of recording in midi are that the signal is very clean, theirs lots of effects to mess with, and i can see the notes and change them manually if i wanted.

you can also record a guitar into midi, but that hasn't evolved nearly as much as the keyboard from what i read and hear.

·
Registered
377 Posts
there are other ways to do this, but the easiest I know of is choos a midi and open it with win amp.

go to prefrences and then output and set the output to nullsoft disk writer plugin, and configure it to output your file....

it works fine.

FatesWebb

·
Registered
377 Posts
there are a lot of utils for this, I did this way back in 1994 so I could convert to mid for making doom maps with custom music as well. I dont remember what program I used so here are a bunch that should work
cool....Midi 2 Wav

FW

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fateswebb, you're confused.
I'm lookin for an Wav to Midi convet and not the opposite.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am not confused, there are the links above whic was a typo just click on it, but even better there is a plugin on MS site that doesnt convert it but does put the notes to the scree. NOTE in the link above where it says MIDI2WAV, it should say WAV2MIDI, just click it......

there are many programs that do this, and if you really want to do this simply to get the notes/tab, then you can use the plugin for windows media player, look for plugins at MS download sites...

FW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts